M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
The Rifle is trashed! You shootin Heavy hand loads out of it right.
I PMed my address. I will give you $300.00 for it with the bayonet or no deal.

You know I am kidding.
This happens to SA M1As when they get too many GI Parts. The Gun gets Mad and revolts on you!

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Rifle is trashed! You shootin Heavy hand loads out of it right.
I PMed my address. I will give you $300.00 for it with the bayonet or no deal.

You know I am kidding.
This happens to SA M1As when they get too many GI Parts. The Gun gets Mad and revolts on you!
Best post of the day John!!

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Yea, but its a Springfield Inc op-rod???
Most likely is but he has a Sadlak spring guide and changed other parts to GI ones.
The Receiver get's mad.

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
There not, not that it matters.

I didn't know rifles had feelings?
Only if you gave it a Girls name. Than of course it does.

On another note is see this is a common malady with the M1A. I wounder if it is limited to only SA OP Rods of do they ,for the most part all get a chip there?

I would like to hear from people with non ( dreaded ) SA Op Rods to see if they in fact see it as well.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Mine has that too. Check to see if your spring tube hits your stock liner prongs that are below. I had a buffer in there until I had cycling issues. It was due to my reloading. So a buffer might provide some clearance preventing the op rod from hitting the receiver. But the concensus is that it's no big deal either. I haven't put the buffer or sadlak guide back into my rifle yet.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Mine has that too. Check to see if your spring tube hits your stock liner prongs that are below.

My prongs hit as well. Just poor QC. Good thing is by the time you find it ,like the Op Rod ding the Gun has settled in and this issues cease to be a problem.

Reactions: brianns

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would like to hear from people with non ( dreaded ) SA Op Rods to see if they in fact see it as well.
I have an H&R op-rod in mine. It does show where it's been contacting the receiver in that area, but there is no chip. There is some metal that looks like it's been displaced, though.

I was always under the impression the commercial op-rods SAI uses were one-piece forgings made in Korea.

This isn't the case?

·
Registered
243 Posts
nah I'm pretty sure they're castings made by wayne machine in Taiwan along with most every thing else but, the receiver and, the barrel (right Phil ?) or that's what I read on the internet which never lies.By the way all my springfields done the same thing around the one hundred round count and none of my polys have but,I can't tell that it has hurt any thing just dress it up with a needle file and don't worry it's normal

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
nah I'm pretty sure they're castings made by wayne machine in Taiwan along with most every thing else but, the receiver and, the barrel (right Phil ?) or that's what I read on the internet which never lies.By the way all my springfields done the same thing around the one hundred round count and none of my polys have but,I can't tell that it has hurt any thing just dress it up with a needle file and don't worry it's normal
I was looking for a Poly (because i thought SAs were too much Money). But NOOOOO! My Wife said "Buy a real one not a knock off"! So i did.
See the knock offs don't have this problem.
Who would have known? GI3
BTW
Yes she paid 1/3rd of my SA.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The USGI receiver blueprint calls for 45 degree chamfer on the top forward edge of the receiver op rod rail, to clear the rod at its max reward travel . Most commercial receivers do not have enough or proper relief there. Easy fix with diamond EZ-LAP stone.

So that explains why this is very common on SAI M1A's.

But since everyone is saying this ding causes no problems. I ain't going to try and fix it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.