M14 Forum banner

My Retro M1A "1970"

4552 32
After I sold the SuperMatch I started to work on my other M1A and tring to make it as close to as I can remember to what I had in VN in 70. Other than the cheek rest which is as close as I can remember and that not real good. 40 years is a long time.
I have to tell you looking at it now it is a little erier to see. It sort of give off a funny feeling. Anyway here it is. What do you think. Can you see this in the jungles of Vietnam in 70/71?
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nice rifle. I like your setup; low drag and to the point.
You need a bayonet lugged flash suppressor to complete the look though!
Thank you for your service by the way.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
After I sold the SuperMatch I started to work on my other M1A and tring to make it as close to as I can remember to what I had in VN in 70. Other than the cheek rest which is as close as I can remember and that not real good. 40 years is a long time.
I have to tell you looking at it now it is a little erier to see. It sort of give off a funny feeling. Anyway here it is. What do you think. Can you see this in the jungles of Vietnam in 70/71?
I assume by your avatar you were in the Corps? Were you issued an M21 sniper rifle in Vietnam? Interesting, as all our snipers had M40 rifles. Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, this was 40 years ago and most of the memories I have have been buried in the far corners of my mind and have NEVER been brought out until 08. I'm just now starting to go down that road to the past. I'm not sure what I'll find or if I even want to know at this point because I have blocked out over half of what happened then. I got to doing some research on the 1/5 and found 2 pictuces of me (only pics I have) on the net and one of my partner. What are the odds of that.
The most used rifle was a Rem 700 and Win. 70. Later in the war when I came in they brought in NM M1a's. Since I trained on a Garand I choose the NM, had more rounds too!!! The scope is a ART IV which is close to what I used as memory serves.
We were all pulled out of VN about 9 month or so after I got there. I saw enough and did enough for a 17 yo kid, they asked who wanted to opt out and I jumped on it. Between over there and the welcome home here I had enough. I went home and never talked about it again. This buil is a rocky road I can tell you, memories come back that I wish had stayed gone. I've meet some other vets here and they have been a great help. Next month I'm taking a big step and going on a Huey ride. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Confused .....

I find this confusing. The XM21 was a rifle issued by the army and not used by Marines. I have not seen a circumstance where Marines were offered an option to "select" the weapon they would carry. When the M14 was withdrawn from units in Vietnam and replaced by the M16 there was no "choice" for any of us Marines to continue to carry the M14. I don't know what site you may have obtained the photos from, but they are photos of army personnel, not Marines.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find this confusing. The XM21 was a rifle issued by the army and not used by Marines. I have not seen a circumstance where Marines were offered an option to "select" the weapon they would carry. When the M14 was withdrawn from units in Vietnam and replaced by the M16 there was no "choice" for any of us Marines to continue to carry the M14. I don't know what site you may have obtained the photos from, but they are photos of army personnel, not Marines.
They came from a USMC 1/5 site from which I served, This is where I found 2 pictures of myself along with some others. Site had about 50 folders with about 25 pics in each. There was another site on the 2/5 but I can not find the link for it anywhere.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Your story don't add up. First you were 17 in Veitnam, second you were there in 70/71 and you were trained with a M1 and not a M14, and you can not remember the simple things about it. I call BS. Guys remember that stuff. If you were there then my bad. Somebody had to say it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your story don't add up. First you were 17 in Veitnam, second you were there in 70/71 and you were trained with a M1 and not a M14, and you can not remember the simple things about it. I call BS. Guys remember that stuff. If you were there then my bad. Somebody had to say it.
I sorry I did not come here to unset anyone. I've block a year out of my life. I remember some, but not a lot. Yes I was 17. I started looking for some answers, thought I might find some here but I guess I was wrong.
Again sorry for bothering everyone here.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Look man as ty as it is this is the internet(copyright Al Gore) anyone can say whatever they want whether it is true or not.

If the man says he was there then he was there. He doesnt have to prove anything to anyone except the VA and, if he has a religion, his god.

If he wasnt there then he wasnt there he should have a well deserved ass beating for taking credit for the men and women that actually did serve and or died there.

I know men that have served there and refuse to wear the hats and put stickers on their trucks because its a time in their lives that they wish they could forget. Some of those people saw and did things that few on this site wish to ever speak of. Perhaps he shot too many people and watch through his scope as they bled out.

Even i dont talk much about my time in the Air Force because it just doesnt matter. Who cares? you shouldnt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even i dont talk much about my time in the Air Force because it just doesnt matter. Who cares? you shouldnt.[/QUOTE]

I'm not here to prove anything. After 40 years I'm trying to come to grips with the past and find a reason to be proud of my service, so far I have not and building this rifle was a mistake.
As far as memory loss, hell I don't want to remember, I don't want to remember the last kill and how when I got home I was labeled a murder and baby killer by the people at home and treated like you had a diease.

Your right "it just don't matter anymore"! So I'll get rid of anything that reminds me of then as I did in 71 because your right "who cares about back then really!
Latter guys

·
Registered
194 Posts
This thread took a really unfortunate turn. It's sad to see how some vets think that their experience trumps everyone else's, and that their presence in one part of the world at one particular time makes them a god-like authority on everything that happened there.

When I am 67, I doubt that I'll have total recall on that I did when I was 17. If I read most of the stories right, half of that generation was drunk, stoned, and if you were in VN you can add scared less to the list. All of those help make long lasting memories as the decades creep by.

Paliden didn't come here claiming to be a war hero or bragging about how many guys he killed. He came looking for help putting together a rifle that we all love. If you can't get over yourself enough to help the man out, then you should just skip the thread.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
I'm 'conflicted' here...

I see things that do not add up, disconnects, in short...RED FLAGS!

IF 'Paliden' is in fact a bona-fide fellow Vietnam Vet...
Then Welcome Home, Brother! I'm Truly Sorry You Have Had And Are Having Real PTSD Issues! You Apparently Need Help And I Hope You Get It.
No B.S. Intended Or To Be Implied...

But, If, On The Other Hand...
As I Have Seen Way Too Many Times In The Last 40+ Years, He is NOT A VN VET...Than All Bets Are Off!
And I Am Not 'Bogged Down' On Just the 'Rifle' And The 'Scope' Discussion.
If 'Paliden' Were To Have Simply Posted In Another Thread...Just About Being A VN VET...I Believe The Same Questions Would Have Arisen.
Way Back When My Kids Were Little, And Hanging Around The Vet Center With Me, And Going To 'Sweats' And Reunions, etc, etc...They Learned To Ask Guys Who Kinda-Sorta Claimed To Be Actual, In-Country, VN VETS---
What UNIT Were You With?(My Dad was in the Cav...)
When Were You There? (My Dad was there in '68'-69')
Where Were You At In RVN? (yeah, they knew where I served...)
In A Nice Way!
They Met And Talked To And Learned Cool Stuff From A Lot of VN Vets, and Korean War Vets, and WWII Vets, and even one very cool WWI Vet that chose to hang out with us 'kids' in the Wyoming Association of Vietnam Veterans...
And My Son And Daughter Still 'Remind Me' Of The Above TODAY!

So, I Don't Believe I Have Ever Met A Bona-fide Veteran of a Foreign War(or Police Action! GI2) That Did Not Remember More Than You Had Time To Hear!
My 91-Year Old WWII Horse Cavalry-Armored Vet Father-In-Law...Has Amazing Recall On Many, Many Things...

Back to 'Paliden'...
I Don't Believe He 'Trained On A Garand'...
His Stated Age in Vietnam, When He Served There, And His Current Age Don't Match Up.
Sorry, It Just Doesn't Wash.
As said above by somebody else, He appears to be stating he is a Marine, but posting photos of Army personnel...
My Honest Impression Is---For Whatever Reason, 'Paliden' Is Attempting To Create A Personna of A Marine Sniper in Vietnam...
He Would Not Be The First To Do That...We Have Had Numerous Examples Of 'Posers' Discussed Here On This Forum.
THAT is a BIG Issue To ME!
THAT is all about HONOR!

I do not need to told that at age '67' I won't remember details about Vietnam...I Am Almost 65 NOW, And THAT is not happening! GI1
(and when I left Vietnam in 1969 I Was 22 Years Old, And Am 64 Now...Get It?)
It's NOT about "claiming to be a war hero or bragging about how many guys he killed".
No...You Don't Get It.
It's About....As The Book Was Titled.......'STOLEN VALOR' !!!

So, Again...If By Chance 'Paliden' Is Really A VN VET With Huge Issues...I Will Instantly And Sincerely Apologize...
Otherwise, Please Do Not Minimize How Vietnam Vets Feel About Guys Who CLAIM To Have Been There....And Weren't...

Off My Soapbox Now...

CAVman in Wyoming

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I'm still confused ....

Based on the posts I have read it seems that genuine Vietnam vets are questioning the scenario that Paliden has depicted, and other posters who appear not to be Vietnam vets are defending him. Am I correct in this or do I have it wrong?

I have encountered many persons in the past 40+ years who have fabricated stories of their service in Vietnam and they seemingly always incorporate how traumatic their service was and that they have attempted to block it from their memories. I encountered another of them here in my home town only last week who was spinning that same tale. Many of them have read accounts of combat in Vietnam, visited websites, and generally learned enough to create a superficial story of their fictional service. Their downfall, however, is that having never been there they miss the details that those who were there are intimately familiar with, PTSD or not. I have no problem with a person who seeks info about building a rifle, but when their questions are wrapped in a cloak of military service, the details of which do not match facts, then I feel my service is diminished by their falsehoods and I do take offense. As CavMan explained it, it becomes a matter of stolen honor.

From 1963 through the early 1970's Marines received their bootcamp training with M14 rifles, yet Paliden states he was trained on an M1 rifle. He stated he was age 17 when in Vietnam. This is not possible unless he falsified his age when enlisting. The minimum age to join the Marine Corps was 17. Allowing for time for boot camp and basic infantry training, MOS training, Staging Battalion, and sniper training, it is virtually impossible for a Marine to have served in Vietnam at age 17, notwithstanding the Marine Corps regulation that required the individual Marine be 18 years of age before assignment to a combat zone. The rifle Paliden claims to have "selected" in Vietnam while serving in 1/5 was not issued by the Corps. The XM21 was an army issued sniper rifle. The Marine Corps used the M40, based on the Remington 700, beginning in 1967 and through the end of Vietnam and beyond. He further refers to the XM21 as a "NM M1A", an error that would not be made by anyone even remotely familiar with the M14, not even 40 years removed. The photos he posted are clearly of army personnel, not Marines, and is accompanied by a convenient claim that his photos were lost in a malware attack. When our troop reduction from Vietnam began in 1969, the 3rd Marine Division was withdrawn first and the withdrawl of 1st Marine Division, the parent unit of 1st Battalion, 5th Marines (1/5) was completed in 1971. There had been some reassignment of individual personnel from the 3rd Division to the 1st Division when the 3rd Division was withdrawn, but when the 1st Division was withdrawn there was no shifting of personnel and the Division was withdrawn by units. There was no oppportunity to "opt out." In conclusion, he states he is about to take a ride in a Huey, seemingly indicating this will be a rekindling of old memories. The Marine Corps had very few Hueys and they were never used for troop lifts as was done in the army. Our troop lift helicopters were the CH-46 and CH-53, a detail known to those who were there.

The story that has been presented by Paliden is that he was a Marine Corps sniper in Vietnam at age 17, served 9 months in country, was armed with an army issue NM M1A rifle, and opted out of serviice in Vietnam when given the opportunity.

This story immediately causes genuine Vietnam vets to question the authenticity of Paliden's account, yet, as is typical with such persons, when confronted he stands by it and then disappears. I would ask that those who so readily defend Paliden take a moment to consider the perspective of genuine Vietnam vets and how we feel about those who falsely portray themselves as having served. It is, with us, a matter of honor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am an OIF veteran and deal with the same thing that you guys do. In fact, I work in the Navy's casualty assistance office and there is not a week that goes by where there is not an investigation that comes through about someone making false claims or someone being upset about the awards on daddy's uniform at the funeral not being right. Well, they are right, daddy wasn't a SEAL after all.

If you can't tell the difference between a real "stolen valor" case and some guy with admitted memory issues asking polite questions, then no line of reasoning from me is going to change your mind.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
I am an OIF veteran and deal with the same thing that you guys do. In fact, I work in the Navy's casualty assistance office and there is not a week that goes by where there is not an investigation that comes through about someone making false claims or someone being upset about the awards on daddy's uniform at the funeral not being right. Well, they are right, daddy wasn't a SEAL after all.

If you can't tell the difference between a real "stolen valor" case and some guy with admitted memory issues asking polite questions, then no line of reasoning from me is going to change your mind.

Have fun being "that guy" at the VFW.
And I Respectfully Thank You For Your Service!

Now...Answer Me One Question, Please?

Do YOU Believe 'Paliden' Really Trained On The M1 Garand In Marine Basic Training, and If Not, Do You Ascribe Such A Statement To Only...'Memory Issues'?

CAVman in WYoming

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.