M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My own Designated Marksman Rifle on a budget. This is what I put together. Even with this I'm still at a price tag of about $3,300.

1. SA Loaded rifle.
2. FA laminated birch stock.
3. Sadlak steel mount.
4. Warne rings.
5. Nikon Tactical scope (2.5x10x44)
6. Butler Creek scope caps.
7. TNVC Riser Stock Pouch.
8. Sadlack NM spring guide.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Paul

Both groups were shot at 100 yards.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nice rifle and some nice groups. A few things you might try to get even better ones;

Place the fore stock on the front rest behind the sling swivel in about the middle.

Make sure for every shot you reset the rifle so that the front sling swivel doesn't make contact with the front rest bag.

Make sure the rear rear sling swivel never touches the rear bag. Looks like you already do this.

Test all of your magazines and find the one that groups the best. Believe it or not it makes a difference. I have found that 5 shot magazines work the best when going for the best groups.

Try for your best groups 5 to 10 shots into a squeaky clean barrel and gas system.

If you can do the above and all the other standard bench rest stuff you can get 5 shot groups like in the attached photo. Not every time but but it can be done.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Well Done and Congrtulations

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree Nice shooting...one flyer ,but I'd not complain about those groups.. $3300 is still a lot of coin to spend on a rifle. but what the heck ya only live once and ya can't take it with ya.. what ammo are ya shooting? Is your stock glass bedded, gas cylinder unitized.. etc..?? Is that a SIA barrel what contour ?? NM heavy etc.. My super match shoots like that also.. with open sights.. I've never scoped it.. It's a nice rifle I paid $1800 for it in 1994..it was a deal even back then.. B2B

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree Nice shooting...one flyer ,but I'd not complain about those groups.. $3300 is still a lot of coin to spend on a rifle. but what the heck ya only live once and ya can't take it with ya.. what ammo are ya shooting? Is your stock glass bedded, gas cylinder unitized.. etc..?? Is that a SIA barrel what contour ?? NM heavy etc.. My super match shoots like that also.. with open sights.. I've never scoped it.. It's a nice rifle I paid $1800 for it in 1994..it was a deal even back then.. B2B
I handload my rounds (see pictures for the loads). More load experimentation to come.

The stock is not glass bedded. I plan to do it within a few months. I have bedded bolt guns before, but never an M1A. I have Art's video and plan to take the bedding job slow and easy. I will do it in stages.

The barrel is a heavy weight match contour. The barrel reads ".308 NM".

Standard gas block, but I was able to take the slop out of it by reversing the gas cylinder lock. The gas cylinder lock locks up hand tight.

This is my third M1A. One of my other M1A standard models shoots about the same as this rifle with iron sights.

Regardless of what I do to the rifle I don't expect it to shoot 1/2 MOA. 1 MOA is just fine for me. I figure with the way the rifle shoots now it would be pretty deadly out to 600 yards.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
279 Posts
With accuracy like that it can be very deadly way past 600 yards.. the bedding will help it shoot tight longer, if you've bedded a bolt gun, it's basically the same idea just a little different (more Areas to bed).. a unitized gas system may help some also.. it may tighten up the flyers.. also gas system shims may be helpful.. It looks like your hand loads are just fine.. to me.. B2B

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good shooting, and a really nice looking rifle. Don't worry about. the cost. You're only on this rock once, as long as you're taking care of other important expenses. Enjoy all you can!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
What do I think? I think you need to send the rifle to me for further testing and I'll send it back when I complete the test, but it may take a 50 years or so to complete the test.

Nice shooting iron. MCORPS1

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
That's got to put a smile on your face. Nice job on the rifle and on the groups.

·
Registered
279 Posts
ya may give Varget and RL 15 a go on your load development.. 4064 is great but it get compressed at the top charge weights..I never like hearing that powder crunching as I seat a bullet.. if your experimenting ya may give burger bullets a run as well. B2B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts