1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is an essential reference in my opinion. Thanks Tonyben!

·
NSRA
2,579 Posts
Tony, "You done good son, real good", bringing your write up from the dark side. Many newer and old shooters alike will benefit from it.

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Tony,
Thanks from us for all the work you did putting these reference pieces together.

·
Super Moderator
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

FYI- I just bought an Otis kit and will be implementing that and the chamber maid on my next version; if I do a next version.

When I get back from overseas I will probably snatch up Leadbug and we'll do a cleaning/disassembly video so I may be done with writing articles. It's a lot of work but the bread and butter is already there. Anything more from here is just gravy.

·
Registered
853 Posts
What do you clean your brass brushes with. Paint cleaner ?

·
Registered
853 Posts
tonyben,
Thanks, I just discovered your videos. E-mailed them to myself. Invaluable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good info!

I got a bargain on my M1A I think because the previous owner had cleaned it right side up, pushing gunk into the barrel port and partially plugging it. He had also failed to read the instructions for mounting the scope mount. As a result it was in a springy position, instead of flush with the side of the receiver, and was not accurate at all, I would imagine. (The scope came with the rifle but had been taken off. When following the instructions to put it on I found out that problem).

When I got it, it would jam about every 3rd round, due to the port obstruction. I was pretty sick about, but labored through an M14 manual. Discovered that the port was about half plugged. Manual said to clear it with a numbered drill bit of a certain size. Problem fixed for the cost of a manual I needed anyway.

I imagine the previous owner blamed the rifle for its defects.

The purists tell me you should clean any rifle the same direction as the bullet travels, from breach toward the muzzle. They would have you put the cleaning rod down the barrel, screw on the brush or patch and pull it out the muzzle. I am thinking either way is ok.

I LOVED your rod bushing made from a 12 guage shell! I will try that.GI1

With the rifle up-side-down, I wet the barrel with solvent, let stand about a minute, then run a Bore Snake out from breach to muzzle; twice if I feel dedicated. Clean the chamber much as you decribe. Then an oily patch to prevent bore rust. I clean the Bore Snake in laundry soap and water, letting it dry between range trips. They do a nice job in a lot less time--if cleaning rifles is more fun to you than shooting them, feel free to ignore this comment.

Bore Snakes fit my disposition better--I do not enjoy cleaning guns so much. BTW I am still learning every day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the lubrication link and cleaning guide. This rifle is a bit intimidating to clean and breakdown (for a newbie with a bedded stock).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts