M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new year! You guys are a bad influnce..I lost my MKS TRWM14 to the ATF {lets not bring that up again please..} so I have been without a M14 since then. today I was fortunate enough to find a deal on a Norinco that is as new as you can get with out the box.thanks to the positive posts on the forum as well battlerifles I thought I would try one I am very pleased with it. thanks again Tim

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Very cool Tim. I love my Poly, it's a great shooter. :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha BeltFed:

Welcome Aboard and to the world of posting... with a lead like "My new toy and first post .." you gotta tell us more about your Norinco... any thoughts or plans on it? Keep as is? Rebuild?

I think we would all like to hear about this new Norinco... at least how you will make it come alive!

I have a Poly... and in fact it came from the guy who posted before me... Quag! Yeah, that's right! It came from Quagmire... :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my new toy..

Tom, my new rifle was home about ten minutes before the old chinease stock was replaced with a freds birch that came off a new rifle.this one is going to get the new/rack grade look. saturday rain or shine my nephew and I will make the trek to the range and try her out. I am selling off most of my extra M16/ar15 stuff{20rd colt mags}30rdGI mags etc to get the funds for the next polytech or norinco that comes my way. I always had a M14type in my safe and being without one for the two years has been tough. thanks for all the input guys this is really a great board.
Tim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's a stupid question everyone. I've heard many stories of how the ATF has destroyed all these M14s confiscated from private owners. How the heck do the government know of every M14 owned by private citizens out there and they can't even find Bin Ladden. Do you guys wave it in their faces while wearing your "I have a real M14" t-shirt? I can can barely tell the difference between an M14 and and M1A unless I look at the heal. Anyone dumb enough to build up the illegal receiver and register the rifle?

·
Registered
126 Posts
24601- You have to know the history behind the MKS situation. Basically a company on Long Island called MKS started making and selling M1a receivers without the needed BATFE approval. Some were actually close enough to full auto configuration that they could never be legal. Anyway he got busted, records confiscated and all guns he sold were recovered from the owners using I would guess the 4473's or sales records. I think nothing was offered for compensation, which is supposed to be unconstitutional, private property and all, but hey we're BATFE, constitution don't apply. This is the background. I hope it makes more sense now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, now I know what MKS is. I keep seeing MKS and no one would elaborate as to what that is. Did they just reweld M14 demilled receivers or actually make their own from scratch? People seem to tag one of the brand names (TRW, Winchester, etc.) after MKS and so I would assume that these are rewelds. Thanks for clearing that up Cheetahman!!!! :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
24601- Of course I made a very long story quite short and there is much more to it than that. Basically there are a few legal rewelded and true not rewelded M14 full auto's and rewelded semi autos out in the world. These are done with BATFE approval and have documentation somewhere on record to prove that they are legal. Some are illegal rewelds, and some are illegally removed government property. I can't speak for how some of these other guys get caught. Some probably by accident when trying to sell, others make an inquiry and find out they have something illegal, and I've actually seen some obvious illegals put up for sale on gun broker and even e-bay.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
MKS was located in Grafton, West Virginia. Their operation was based on a letter of approval which another manufacturer had nicknamed "The Owens Letter". They neglected to get one of their own and basically that's it in a nutshell. There were in the neighborhood of 300 receivers of which nowhere near all were confiscated. The ones that were confiscated to this date I don't believe were destroyed pending the outcome of the case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MKS Receivers (reweld & New Forged)

MKS rewelded approx 300 de-milled M14 receivers back together. ATF got a lot of them, but MKS just before the end, also started building new forged receivers that also went by way of the ATF.
Lou at LRB Arms was the distributor for the new made MKS Forged receivers and after the Kelly's fall from grace got approval from ATF and continued to produce and sell the slightly altered new forged receviers under the LRB Arms name.

I owned one of the rewelded MKS receviers, but ATF owns it now. Currently waiting for my replacement Fulton, Inc M14 receiver to arrive to rebuild my rifle.

Steve-Indy

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome Beltfedfool

Good to see you here beltfeadfool. I am new to this forum myself but have had a lot of fun so far and met some great people...I hope you enjoy this forum and your M1A as much as I have...Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did the ATF confiscate the whole gun, lock stock & barrel? I would assume if the government was reasonable (this may qualify as an oxymoron), and since those who bought the receivers were obviously not aware they were illegal, shouldn't they have just confiscated the receivers? I guess this is more a question for the lawyers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mks and our friends the atf

All I gave them was the reciever.they gave me enough time to strip it. I know it sounds childish but I get pretty damn mad just thinking about it. and to top it off the Kellys wouldnt give my M1A back to me by saying that the atf seized it also which after talking to the atf agent in charge found out that it and others was left with the kellys. just a bunch of lies. sorry for the long post...Tim :x

·
Registered
30 Posts
MKS Receiver & ATF

I was contacted by AFT around July 2002. This was approx. 6 months after the confiscations started by ATF.
Originally, I was contact by a AFT foot soldier. I told him that I was not going to abandon the receiver and hand it over for destruction.
He politely told me that if I decided not to abandon the receiver that I would have to hand over the entire rifle under confiscation since MKS had put the rifle together for me.
I had collected the parts from different source (CMP, Orion7, etc) and the Kelly's (MKS) said that they would put the whole rifle together for me for a total cost of $25. I really couldn't refuse that offer at the time!

The bottom line is I dealt with the senior agent in charge of the local office and he confiscated only my receiver (the evil thing that it was suppose to be). He was professional and expressed his personal view of the whole MKS mess and said he was only doing his job. He kept my recevier in the local ATF vault until November 2003. He and I was hoping with time that one of the three NRA court cases would go to court and a final resolution on the whole MKS matter would be decided. So far that has not happened and out side sources were coming to town to inventory his vault, so after 1 1/2 years, I ended my MKS situation by giving up ownership of my receiver. The senior agent was nice enough to keep my receiver in the local officer without me having to put out the $250 ransom money.

I only lost the MKS receiver and as stated above in a previous post am now awaiting the arrival of my new Fulton M14 receiver to rebuild my rifle.

Life goes on, we learn from our mistakes and I hope the Kelly's learn a valuable lesson, just as all their former MKS customer (me included) have had to learn. Don't thinks at face value, get documentation and everthing in writing!!!!!

Steve-Indy
PS: Go Blue, Go Colts!!! beat Kansas City today!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well at least you guys got to keep the parts, small consession but at least reasonable. Sucks that MKS customers were the ones who had to pay for a mistake/swindle that MKS made. Unfortunately today there are too many businesses who operate in a half assed manner and it's the consumers who suffer, not only consumers but other honest business people who have to deal with sceptical/suspicious customers, not particularily nice to be treated as a potential crook because of others. It's like the misleading wording that goes on on Ebay like "USGI contractor" or "USGI type". I ran into the same thing with Fulton when ordering their rear NM sight, I asked if it was genuine USGI, to which I got the reply "Its' USGI contractor", well it's either genuine USGI or it's not. Techincally it's not lying but I just hate games like that, sorry went a little off topic. Anyway hope everything works out for you guys and you get fair reparations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.