M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back to work after a year . . so I bought myself a nice fresh Tula Arsenal SKS rebuild. I love the 7.62x39 round but was never able to get acceptable accuracy from any of the three Mini 30's I have owned, and I am not a fan of the AK. I am more of a Carbine guy than an EBR guy.

So far, this thing is running circles around the Mini 30s in the accuracy department . .

I did modify the rifle for Carbine shoots and Appleseeds . I installed the Tech Sights rear aperture sight, removed the bayonet, and put her into a Butler Creek sporter stock (to get the LOP where it belongs for normal people, not dwarves) . . Ammo is cheeeeep too.

Before:

After:

Going to the range today with m1a_scoutguy . . I'll try to get some pics and post a range report!! dance2

·
Registered
532 Posts
LoB, I have the same setup, much better accuracy. UNK on my maker tho dance2

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Very nice, but I still like the look of wood also! Those Tech Sights should really do great on that rifle.GI6

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice, but I still like the look of wood also! Those Tech Sights should really do great on that rifle.GI6
I prefer the wood also . . BUT I needed to add at least two inches to the LOP and did not want to bubba it up with a 2" pad.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LoB, I have the same setup, much better accuracy. UNK on my maker tho dance2
Post a pic of the left side of the receiver and I'll sort it out for you!! FRG1

·
Registered
532 Posts
LoB, looked at the receiver no markings, on the barrel tho has model 55 Romainia. So i am going out on a limb and say that is a Romainian GI6

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just picked up an SKS not too long ago myself although I haven't had a chance to get out to the range and see how it shoots, just test fired to make sure it functioned. Mine is a chinese variant, same stock you've got on yours. It's the first one I've owned so I don't know what to expect, but I'm anxious to find out! What model of Tech Sight did you put on?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I have never seen a Russian made SKS other than a Bringback that belonged to a Marine that I knew in NJ,even the one I brought back in 1969 is a Chinese Type 56!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never seen a Russian made SKS other than a Bringback that belonged to a Marine that I knew in NJ,even the one I brought back in 1969 is a Chinese Type 56!
Trung Si, they do not seem to be as common as the Yugos, Romanians, Albanians, and Chicoms out there . . there were only two Russian arsenals that built them AFAIK . . Tula and Izhevsk. The Izhevsk is rarer than the Tula. The Tula is identified by the arsenal mark "Arrow with fletchings in a star" . .

This is the arsenal mark on the receiver cover of my SKS:

See that square with the "/" through it? that indicates that it is an arsenal rebuild. All the serial # on mine match, even those on the stock . . those wacky Russkies stamped or electropenciled the Ser# on all the major components of the rifle; Bolt, Bolt Carrier, Receiver, Receiver Cover, Magazine, Gas Tube, Stock, etc . .

The Izhevsk is designated by a triangle inside a star.

An EXCELLENT resource for all things SKS is Survivors SKS Boards at http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

An added bonus . . this rifle was born in the month and year i was . . July 1953 dance2dance2

The collector value of this rifle was ruined by the PO when he threaded the barrel for a muzzle device, and badly at that (loose threads) . I was able to install the brake in the photos (still have not been able to ID it) with the help of a little JB weld. Put 200 plus rnds through it last Saturday with no problems . . worked flawlessly. Accuracy was spotty. At 100 yards I had some 2" groups and some 6" groups. I attribute it to the surplus ammo or the stock. I will do a bit of fitment work to that Butler Creek stock and then if I see no difference . . I will pull down some of the Yugo surplus I was using to see what the spread is on the powder charges.

I do not think the ammo is the problem because the feedback on the innerwebs is that the Yugo surp is very good ammo . .

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I actually like SKSs....Gimme a good old fashioned milled and screwed Norc any day! My Last was an Albanian that was rather nice.

Are the Rusky 50's era ones on the market today any good?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Yes, too, bad the original owner mucked up the barrel by threading it. Ruskies bring a bit of a premium, even refurbs. I have a Rusky 1954 Tula refurb and two Yugo's. All in very good condition. The Yugo's were my first C&R purchases and I picked the Russian up at a local gunshop for $325 OTD, a pretty fair price when I got it.

The tech sights will help a lot with accuracy. Very M1 Garand like. I haven't done much with my SKS's for quite some time. Since they are C&R's and on my books I don't want take a chance on violating the 922r provisions, plus just don't get them out that much since I have the M1's and M1A's. They are fun to shoot though!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My Russian SKS.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oxmix, that has to be the finest SKS I have seen . . do the numbers match?? Is it a Tula or Izhevsk? Rebuild or original??

Thanks for posting that!!

GI6

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
My refurb.

Laminated stock which I believe is a change made during the refurb. The number on the front sight is a grade of the accuracy of the assembled weapon. Also refurbs have the bolt painted black so that's an easy first glance way of spotting a refurb. The refurb box stamp by the date on the bolt cover is another.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts