M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received it today. I just had to trim a little off the back of the hand guard. Fit is great but not as tight as the hackberry wood. We'll see how it shoots. I really liked the hackberry wood stock, but I noticed when I put it together that the front hand guard was crooked. I would have had to find a new front hand guard and have it color matched with the rest of the stock. I decided to go with a Minelli from Stocky's. $170; close to $200 with shipping.

I'd say it took me about 30 to 45 minutes to fit the stock and transfer the stock metal from the hackberry stock to my Minelli walnut.

Tony.

·
NSR
1,417 Posts
TonyBen,

That's a very nice looking stock. Does stockey's have different grades of wood or is it catch as catch can with the Minelli's they sell?

We need to get together fella.

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
TonyBen,

That's a very nice looking stock. Does stockey's have different grades of wood or is it catch as catch can with the Minelli's they sell?
Wes
All of the Minelli stocks I have seen were boxed up individually in Italy. I doubt any of the US distributors are opening them up to grade the wood. I've seen ones with nice figure on both sides, plain figure on both sides and some that were plain on one side and well figured on the other. It has always appeared to be the luck of the draw. When the M14 stocks were available from Brownells years ago, I would usually order a couple at a time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That's some purdy straight grain wood right there. If it's not all that tight... bed it unless you have plans to shoot in J C. Garand CMP Matches. Now, load up some 30-06 and show us how it's done.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the misalignment of the front handguard which prompted me to buy another stock...

Other than replacing it I really wouldn't know how to go about fixing it. I wanted to match condition the stock, but with that misalignment, I don't think I'd be able to do it.

The hackberry first required me to hammer the stock in with a mallet and the trigger group locked in really tight. For someone looking for a GI fit, that would have been unacceptable. For me, it just meant that the tight fit means better accuracy.

Since this will be bedded eventually, I don't mind that the Minelli slips in easily. I just care that everything is geometrically correct for bedding and match conditioning.

Here's some images of the hackberry. The machining isn't as nice and you can see where my receiver legs pushed wood out of the way when I fit it...

Looks like my bolt was hitting the stock as well...

Minelli heel as a comparison...

The hackberry has a solid buttstock with no holes for a GI cleaning kit...

The Minelli does...

The front receiver contour was perfect...

The back of the receiver area has a relief step cut into it, as it should for a Garand to allow the receiver heel to flex under recoil. You can see light from the area just forward of the heel to the step down just behind the clip release button.

Here you can see the machined step-down on the top of the stock...

Minelli inletting...

Heel area with properly machined steps...

Enjoy...

Tony.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's some purdy straight grain wood right there. If it's not all that tight... bed it unless you have plans to shoot in J C. Garand CMP Matches. Now, load up some 30-06 and show us how it's done.
Can't do 30-06. But I can load up some 308! ;)

Tony.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Forgot to mention about your other hackberry stock... the front handguard plays almost no role in how accurate the rifle is unless it's rubbing. I think most M1s that are match conditioned have the front handguard glued in place and care must be taken to not grab the rifle by that front handguard if this has been done. I'm sure the misalignment annoys you, but it seems to me that it now makes for a good practice stock to see if you can get an M1 shooting sweet and if you ruin it... who cares.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The Navy had 308 Garand. Would that qualify it?
No, only "carefully assembled" 30-06 M1 Garands qualify. The Navy 308 model doesn't count, even though it was technically issued. Basically, you aren't allowed to do anything to change the way the way Garand would have come from the factory... You can use new barrels, but they must be the same profile as a GI barrel... you can do a trigger job, but the parts must be the same as how it came from the factory. You can use a tight stock, but you can't bed it. That sort of thing. "Carefully assembled" is the key... find the best parts and make them work great together without doing anything extra. You aren't even allowed to use a hooded peep sight if you were to need lenses to see the front sight better... you'd have to wear prescription glasses.

Really, the J. C. Garand Matches are in my opinion, are the only true service rifle matches where everyone is shooting the same thing.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
No need unless you really want a JC Garand compliant rifle...Which are very specific type of matches. Your Garand as a 308 Garand is still legal as a service rifle and also legal in the CMP Games unlimited Garand class. Folks that shoot those classes might install heavy Kriegers, bed the rifle, etc... basically as tricked out as you can make a garand while still having the outward appearance of typical Garand. Sort of like what a Super match or National Match model M1A is compared to a standard model. Think of a JC Garand compliant rifle as a really well built standard model from SAI, where no upgrades have been done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts