M14 Forum banner

My new M1A scout

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  GillaFunk 
#1 ·
View attachment 46014
My new scout rifle. Only put a few rounds through it and I'm needing to settle on a glass for it. Was gonna do a scout scope but so limited on choices. I may end up getting a conventional scope and mount

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

#3 ·
I have the same rifle and love it. Here are my plans...

Replace stock with either Vltor or Blackfeather RS system (opinions needed:)
The length of pull on this rifle feels uncomfortable for me (short arms)

Aimpoint comp m3 2 moa red dot, possibly with a magnifier

Sadlak spring guide

sadlak TIN piston

#8 ·
I have the same rifle and love it. Here are my plans...

Replace stock with either Vltor or Blackfeather RS system (opinions needed:)
The length of pull on this rifle feels uncomfortable for me (short arms)
You stock has the rubber buttpad on it. I you replace it with the standard metal flip-up style, as used on the wood stocks and the SOCOM, you will have a shorter length of pull.

#7 ·
I just ordered a burris 2-7x33 scout for mine. I will post a review once i get it mounted and try it out. I was really tempted by the leupold 1.5-5 with the firedot at swfa. The eye relief on that one and the size scared me away. You are right , not a lot of options in scout scopes.

Nice looking rifle, congrats :)

Sent from my iPad

#10 ·
I have a Scout rifle too. Nice unit. However, the Scout scope mount area is just in front of the combustion chamber of the barrel. This is an area that gets hottest of any part of the barrel when shooting sustained fire. All that heat is transferred through the steel Scout Barrel Mount directly into the scope itself. I have never been comfortable subjecting a quality scope with that type of severe heat produced by the barrel.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the subject matter of subjecting a scope to this extreme heat?

#15 ·
do a search

its basically an m14 old wives tale.

what do you mean by sustained fire?

i have run my m1a hard but it never got very hot.

#11 ·
The scope mount is aluminum, which doesn't seem to transfer heat as readily as steel. The rail itself is not a solid Picatinny block, but rather skeletonized with minimal contact with most rings. Rising heated air might be more of an issue than actual heat transfer.

Regaring scopes, I believe the original intent of the mount on the Scout/Socom was to use a small, military grade red dot optic. I don't think that commercial grade, variable power hunting scopes are the best idea for this rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.