M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after working out the issues of my first range trip with the rifle, I installed my burris scout scope, loaded up some ammo to test and headed out to the range.

First, my new m1A scout

Some close up images withnthe scope mounted

I have to say that I am impressed with this scope. The eye relief allows me to get a full field of view from 2x to 7x. At 2x I can shoot with both eyes open no problem. Since this is going to be my coyote/cat rifle some of the time these two items were of prime importance to me. Also, the scope mounts low enough on Burris ATR low mounts that I can get a good cheek weld without adding a cheek pad.

I loaded up some SSA brass with hornadys Amax bullets in 155 and 178 grain, these are my targets at 50 yards.

These were the 155 grain Amax. The 43 grain load looked the about as good as the 42.5 and those two were the best with this bullet. I shot these from prone with no rest so I would bet these 3/4" 1.5moa groups would shrink by half from a solid rest. To say the least I am thrilled withnthe out ofbthe box accuracy of the rifle.

The 178 grain bullets did not fare nearly as well

The best group I got was 1" or about 2moa with the 178's and again 43 grains.

I was pleased with how soft shooting the rifle was, and especially the fact that all the brass landed in a pile three feet to my right. My mini 14 throws the brass 10-15 yards out from 1 oclock all the way to 5 oclock. This is way better.

I am really liking this M1A.

Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awesome rifle. Really cool that you got the scope low enough that you don't need a cheek rest. Does your front post sneak into your sight picture? Also, really digging the Mossy Oak stock. Don't see them very often.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Nice setup, and great shooting.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks for posting! I have a Scout build that I have not put together yet with a USGI walnut stock that I got from the CMP. I am trying to decide wether to put a m14.ca scout rail on it and scope it like yours so I don't have to add a cheek rest, or use a Bassett low mount and a normal scope that would require a cheek rest. Something about drilling holes in a USGI stock for a Tac Pro seems almost sacrilegious, although I may do it.

How does your rifle balance in hand? I have always wondered how these guns balance set up like yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting! I have a Scout build that I have not put together yet with a USGI walnut stock that I got from the CMP. I am trying to decide wether to put a m14.ca scout rail on it and scope it like yours so I don't have to add a cheek rest, or use a Bassett low mount and a normal scope that would require a cheek rest. Something about drilling holes in a USGI stock for a Tac Pro seems almost sacrilegious, although I may do it.

How does your rifle balance in hand? I have always wondered how these guns balance set up like yours.

The rifle is a little heavy in the front. I am not sure if it will be an issue or not yet. I need to get it out hunting to really know how the balance works out in the field.

Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome rifle. Really cool that you got the scope low enough that you don't need a cheek rest. Does your front post sneak into your sight picture? Also, really digging the Mossy Oak stock. Don't see them very often.

The front sight post is not seen when looking through the scope. I was concerned about that but all I see are the reticle and target.

Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Similar set up to the one I havet I have with the leatherwood 2 - 7. Still working on the right location for eye relief and the cheek weld. Can you post a picture that shows the location of the scope in comparison to the scout rail, or the receiver, etc...?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually now I see that you are about 1" further forward from where I have mine. I am gonna paly with it tomorrow and see if I can get it where it is a more natural position.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts