M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Well everyone... after all the time and $$ put in to my NM Springfield M1A and finally sending it to Jon Tank for all the finishing touches (ie. steel bedding block in my McMillan stock) I finally decided to get an “Authentic Battle Rifle”
Sooooo….
I did some horse trading the other day and I came out of the deal with two M1 Garands!!!
Very happy here...

I was wondering if you all can give me some info on these two rifles
I know my SA is WWII and my HR is Korea... Anymore info would be much appreciated

Here is the #’s I took off my 2 new Battle Rifles:

All Parkerizing has a greenish tint to it AND No spots or dings on the metal. Stock has been refinished and unfortunately the cartouche was taken off... it is the narrow WWII stock. And it was re-barreled. I don’t believe it came from CMP (How can you tell???)
U.S RIFLE
CA .30 M1
SPRINGFIELD
ARMORY
14202XX (Mar-1943)

BOLT – D28287-12SA
S-06 (and a diamond to follow)
TRIGGER GROUP- D28290-14- SA
HAMMER- C46008-5 SA
FORGED TRIGGER GUARD with no # on the guard in front of the safety
OP ROD-D3538 SA (how can you tell if it’s a one piece or welded op rod)
RECIEVER-D28291 17 …..Markings directly above S 10 G (diamond) 11
BARREL- BLUE SKY/ARLINGTON, VA

Parkerizing has a greenish tint to it AND No spots or dings on the metal. Stock many "character" dings with a P and a square around it and a FAINT stamping of R R A D????... it is the beefier Korean War stock. And it looks like it was re-barreled too.
U.S RIFLE
CA .30 M1
H&R ARMS CO.
47777XX (ONLY 139,999 MADE IN THIS RUN)

BOLT-06528287 HRA
-U-
TRIGGER GROUP- 6528290-HRA N
HAMMER-C46008-3 SA
FORGED TRIGGER GUARD- C46025-1-SA
OP ROD-7790722-RA Top is stamped NM (how can you tell if it’s a one piece or welded op rod)
RECIEVER-6528291 ….. Markings directly above F
BARREL-KY/ARLINGTON,VA

VERY happy here!!! :D :D :D :D I will take pics ASAP and post them to this link.

Regards,

·
Registered
846 Posts
both your guns are re-imports via blue sky. these guns probably came back from korea. often the barrels are worn out at the muzzle end.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the info...
I dont have a TE gauge but the older gentleman has one and when I picked them up the TE gauge read 2-3 on both.

But it seems as though on the SA the only repaced part is the barrel? everything else looks great!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Doc, I bet your rifles shoot fine. I've got two bluesky Carbines & they shoot like champs. The collectors animus towards re-imports can lead to info flying around that "everybody knows" that often isn't exactly so.

The finish sounds great, I really like the Garands with the greenish finish to them. Post some pics when you get a chance. :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
sounds like your are fine. the only blue sky i've had a chance to inspect had a barrel that swallowed the gauge. from what i have read this is often the case.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Neither of these is a CMP rifle. Both are Korean imports and worth less than CMPs which start at $400.

The Blue Sky rifles have the reputation of being Korean War battlefield pickups long after the war and are often very pitted under the wood line from laying around outdoors for so long. The replacement barrels are often of indifferent quality.

Look for SA or HRA markings on the barrel in addition to the "import mark." These will be in the slot under the oprod when the bolt is open.

Since these rifles have non-GI barrels, or at best import-marked barrels, checking for "correctness" of the rest of the rifle may be interesting, but doesn't add any value to them. Unless some parts are collectable to others, of course, then the rifles can be worth more as parts than as complete rifles.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey Doc,
Would love to see pictures of them when you have a chance. Love that greenish tint on the receivers. My garands are the favorites of all my guns. They definitely are authentic battle rifles. Remember you have to have three to work that stacking swivel.:D
Congrats!
BT

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting..HERE ARE THE PICS :)

I am purchasing "correct" barrels for each one... and also I took both of them completely apart and they look GREAT :D ...There is NO way these rifle were sitting out in the elements...

When I change out the barrels you would NEVER know unless I told you that they were "imports".

Also someone said that they are "they are worth $400.00".... NO way ... They are BETTER than any CMP Rack or Service Grade I have seen. If that damn "BLUE SKY stamp wasnt there you would think they where "GI Take Homes.

Also CHUCK S .. The barrels are marked as follows
SA 6535448 8 65 BU24 P M With DoD the eagle with three stars
HRA D6535448 6-54 RS31 P M With DoD the eagle with three stars
and the TE on both is between 2-3 closer to a 2 than 3. :)

ALSO i just noticed HRA OpRod it stamped NM :)

Here they are...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Doc: Very cool, thanks for posting the pics! Those are nice looking Garands. :D

With those TE readings, if the muzzle wear readings are good too then I'd shoot them the way they are & save those new barrels for a rainy day.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You got a fine pair I would say dang now I want two or three more guess I will have start kissing up to the Miss again. :oops: Take care Fred

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not a thing wrong with Blue Sky rifles that a few parts here and there won't fix . My first rifle was a blue sky that actually did need a barrel . It got fitted with a Citadel in 30-06 and it still shoots fine .

Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.