M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Eye Master
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the base of my new flagpole in from the laser cutters. It's about 6' x 9' of 3/8" steel, so it weighs about 400lb. I need to trench out a section and likely use a fork lift to place it, plus I need to mount the flagpole. But it should be cool as hell once it is done.

Not quite life size, but almost.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Nice Art....you gonna paint or powder coat it?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
OK....thanks for the update man.

·
Eye Master
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's going in front of my shop, which is a commercial building that has floodlights in the front. So I do want to backlit, the building might already do that. I'll need to experiment around to get it the way I like. I'm sort of designing as I go.

By the way, I'm getting some more made out of 1/8" thick, that will be smaller, about 25" high x 40" wide. These are scaled so your standard 12x18 garden flag will fit. I have not priced it to completion yet, with mounting hardware, painting, etc. But let's say it were in the $200 - 250 range, delivered. What level of interest would there be?

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Wife has been after me to put up a flag pole for some time now.

I showed her this one and the answer was "Hell yes".

So if I get this for her then she won't say anything about a rectangular peep sight for me.

First question is: I have a 2012 Scout, will I need to replace the rear sight mount with an NM type to make the sight work properly?

Does anyone sell just the rear sight mount? I find kits with both sights but I only need the rear sight.

The Scout has a NM 062 front sight.

Any idea as to approximate weight of the smaller base?

If you want the base to rust a little quicker spray it with bleach, let it sit for a day then rinse it off, instant rust.

The bleach can be neutralized with hydrogen peroxide.

Chemical reaction between the chlorine and the hydrogen peroxide will foam, when foam is gone bleach is neutralized.

Sodium sulfite will also neutralize the chlorine in bleach.

·
Eye Master
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flagpole penultimate update. We hooked up the trackhoe, carried it to the welding table to weld on the feet, then got shovels and dug 2 holes which we filled with 800lb of Sakrete, and set the anchor bolts. It should be solid by tomorrow morning. I had to leave the trackhoe out overnight, so we could lash the base to it, in case wind blew it over before the concrete set.

I have two smaller ones that were welded this afternoon and get paint tomorrow so I can take them to show at Camp Perry.

Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the big setup without the trackhoe lashed to it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That looks great.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Well done! How long did you wait with the camera to get the wind blowing the right direction?

·
Registered
964 Posts
DONE! And done very well! Inspiring...let us not forget.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts