M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning was foggy. I crept out of the house this morning at about 430 and was in position by 515. Just in time for legal hunting light, heavy fog rolls in and limited my FOV to about 75meters until about 830. I didnt see a thing and at about 0900 after making some calls i decided to pack it in and come out again later...

Well, you all know how it goes, as soon as I stand up, about 200 meters away across the horse pasture here comes this handsome buck. He was definatly on the prowl for some tail, very bold too. I put a minute on the dial, assumed a good kneeling firing position and gave him a round straight to the shoulder. He took off like a bat out of hell and since most of the deer I hit usually drop in their tracks, i thought i missed him. He was running really fast at a little more than half-value lead and I was tracking him the whole way. I sent another round downrange while he was on the move and that did it.

I came up on him and found two 7.62 holes about 5 inches apart. Not bad!

He went down like a man's-man's buck. Going to miss this guy, almost a shame to have taken him. BUT, it was old girl's (my M1A's) first go around, and she did exceptionally well.

DS K.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Good going. I saw a pic of the Llano processer from Sat nite with 158 deer in line...Looks like it was a good day for all.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Oh deer, that was some good shooting. That picture is going to look good in the family album. Congrats

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excellent shooting !

·
Registered
690 Posts
Good shooting! That is pretty impressive to hit 5 inches from your first shot with a RUNNING SHOT!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for the replys gentlemen, and happy belated Veterans Day to all you other vets out there, and thanks to the people who support us.

Drbub, yes 5 inches. I think that luck probably came into play a bit there, but there it was. One clean shoulder shot and another about 5 inches back that entered at an angle. To my surprise the 1st one did not exit and it was taken at 90 deg. Must have gotten lodged in the opposite shoulder. Maybe I should up the powder weight, lol.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Very nice

Thanks for the post & pics ! rifle season already in texas? we are still black powder here in Tn. so far I have taken 3 to be processed 1 in achery 2 blackpowder and our rifle opens up on the 20th of nov.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, season opened up on the 6th of Nov. Just hit a cold snap yesterday night too, if the wind dies down this evening, i may find myself outside looking for bambi's friends.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Christening

Depending on what you believe but.....some say that it's actually a good omen for a rifle - it's first 'real' use and it takes down a buck like that with such a group.

If I was in your shoes I'd be having it mounted and telling anyone who came into my house "The first time I used 'that' outdoors, I took 'that' down" (and point at the rifle and the head when you refer to 'that').

A hell of a way to christen a rifle!!!

Congrats indeed!!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey thanks fulcrum and marine, i guess i never thought of it that way, lol. It was a good "first time" for her.

Charlene, it is an Eagle cheek peice. Fell off the back of the truck while I was leaving the old section, but you can order them. They make excellent drag bags too. I fold two USGI socks under it to give me my prefered check wield and eye relief, works very well.

DS K.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts