M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this standard Springfield M1a up last summer and have put about 350 rounds through it so far.... I know I know there's no excuse for such a low round count. That's what comes of having a young growing family I guess. Soon after I got it I had to have the extractor replaced under warranty and had Springfield do a NM trigger job while they had it under the knife. I have also installed a Harris bi-pod, refinished (or in my opinion finished what SI should have) the stock with some reshaping and blending in key areas, and made custom mounts for a 3 point sling. I plan on picking up a arms optic mount and a scope in the next few months. Midway has a great deal on some Bushnell 10X40s that look pretty nice, however I'm a little hesitant to only have 10x. I keep telling myself that if it is good enough for the guys over in Iraq and Afghanistan out to 1300yrd then it should be good enough for me at 300.

·
Registered
757 Posts
if you go with that bushnell scope from midway, make sure that you get the one that has 1/10 mil adjustments to go with the mil dot reticle. they have 2 that are similar, the other one looks like the reticle is mil dot but the adjustments are minute of angle. that mix makes no sense to me, but what do i know?

good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont have that high of ammo count after 2 years only because someone keeps buying up all the cheap ammo in my area. Only thing that remains is 1.00 a round hunting ammo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have that high of ammo count after 2 years only because someone keeps buying up all the cheap ammo in my area. Only thing that remains is 1.00 a round hunting ammo.
The pictures are being lame. Got to get the links fixed.

dblack you should order up some of the german surplus ammo. It shoots great and is a good deal for target practice. You can find it anywhere between .40-.50 cents a round.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=945421

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got the pictures working. I have been seriously considering slimming down my gun collection lately by selling my M4 and re-barreling the M1a with a 16" barrel to be more of an all purpose setup. I would probably kick myself for doing to but it would fund the last few improvements I want on the M1a.

·
Registered
188 Posts
3 Pt. Sling Mounts

First off, thats a very nice looking weapon. Could you go into any details about how you went about putting those custom mounts into the stock? I've always felt that sort of set up to be best. Since I cannot buy the Sage stock i want (Kalifornia law) I would like to explore custom sling set ups. Thx.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
amgvr4, I do like your sling setup. Which sling swivels did you use. Been thinking of a similar set up on my Bush rifle. As to your ammo situation, I'd get online to see what is available. If it's cheaper locally, talk to the retailer to let you get inline for the next batch coming thru, even if you have to give him a deposit. dozier

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brownell's carries QD swivel cups from Uncle Mike's for those of you looking for them. They're not rotation limited, which would be nice, but they'll definitely do the job. If you have a synthetic/fiberglass stock you may be able to use the new TRX QD sling mount from Noveske Rifleworks, which is rotation limited. I used one of these on the plastic hand guard for my girls AR and it turned out very nice. http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bi...d=trxqd&cat=165&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I almost forgot, that's a nice looking rifle o.p.! Did you machine those QD cups yourself?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the kind words. I did machine the inserts for the stock myself, however there are products you can buy that might be able to work. The biggest problem is the forward mount needs to be pretty thin to clear the op rod. The sling swivels are readily available from places like Midway and Brownells for about $10 each.
If there is a big enough interest I can machine up the bushings for you guys for about $30 a set. I really like the way it turned out and would recommend it to anyone who can’t get their hands on one of the aftermarket stocks that accept the swivels. I really like the sling as well, I picked it up form a local guy in Seattle that makes them and they are great quality for a price. I can post up his info for anyone who might interested.
Brad

·
Registered
266 Posts
I keep telling myself that if it is good enough for the guys over in Iraq and Afghanistan out to 1300yrd then it should be good enough for me at 300.
10x is fine at the range, but if you are doing anything else with it, it is a bit much. I don't know if you are a hunter or will hunt with your M1A, but I managed to (barely) kill this buck at about 20 yards with a 10x42 Super Sniper on my LRB bush. I got lucky and was able to find him in the scope for a split second. My Group Buy M25 that is coming will have a variable on it for just this reason.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nice rifle and nice buck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I picked up an arms 18 mount and a Millett DMS optic to get a little better versatility out of my m1a. The mount went on just fine and despite getting rings that a about 1/4" higher than I would like it shoots great. I also did the basic acutizing mods to the rifle since my last posts. I shimmed the gas plug and made a shim for the stock to the gas plug band. I took it to the range this weekend and was very happy with the results. I has several 1.5 and 1.25" groups at 100 yds with German surplus ammo. I know I could do better if I spent more time at the range and got used to the new set up a little more. I really liked the optic and am glad that I got the 1-4 power and not a fixed 10 that I originally wanted. I think that the 1-4 will work much better for the wide range of shooting that I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts