M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I have ever done a complete disassembly on my M1917 in the 30+ years that I've owned it. After posting the pic in the M1917 Pictures thread, I decided it was time to do a full tear down mostly to clean and oil the stock.

While cleaning the action I noticed what looked like a crack around the very front of the receiver ring. On closer examination it's not a crack but weld filler. I'd have to guess that the rifle had been rebarreled at some point. I'm suspicious but there are a couple of things that point to an arsenal job. Contradicting myself, wouldn't an arsenal dispose of a receiver like that?

It's been years, but I have shot the rifle and it hasn't blown up yet. Although, after seeing this I'm not inclined to any more.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Maybe the original barrel was welded to the receiver and then it may have been rebarreled after the weld was ground off? Maybe it was a drill rifle at one time of another. A lot can happen to a rifle in over 100 years.

·
Forum Jester
6,920 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Maybe a picture from just a little further back for a little bit more perspective on the issue.

·
Forum Jester
6,920 Posts
click on the picture

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
click on the picture
Looking for a picture from further away to see more of the rifle, to put in context exactly where he's talking about!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking for a picture from further away to see more of the rifle, to put in context exactly where he's talking about!
Here you go.

Here's something interesting. I was looking at pics of Eddystone receivers and came across the image of #299101 and it's got the same sort of thing in almost the same area.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Here you go.

Here's something interesting. I was looking at pics of Eddystone receivers and came across the image of #299101 and it's got the same sort of thing in almost the same area.
If Chuck in Denver says you're good to go I would trust him. Also that would not scare me a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts