M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my side arm... Its a Kimber SIS Pro commander sized 1911. It is the best of both worlds for me since I am not a big guy and have a hard time hiding a carry gun on my hip, but I wanted a gun I can still shoot a lot and accurately. I just made these grips and I think they turned out well. I used army digicam fabric and fiberglass in alternating layers. The overall thickness is 1/4" which fits my hands perfect. Let me know what you guys think.
Brad

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The Kimber SIS, in my humble yet bolt and indifferent opinion, is the best Kimber product made. All stainless, blacked out, smooth and appointed with top notch sights. Well done on the grips Sir!

A fine pistol ready to defend and protect!DI5

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
They look great. Do you have a template to cut the grips out with?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look great. Do you have a template to cut the grips out with?
Thanks for the kind words. I used the factory grips as a template and that worked great.

7.62bthp......
I agree with you completely. On top of what you mentioned, it is a series 70 gun as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nice grips! What did you use to bond the layers together? You said that there were alternating layers of fiberglass (cloth I assume?) and digicam fabric. Did you just use the fiberglass resin and hardener that comes in a kit from Bondo?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice grips! What did you use to bond the layers together? You said that there were alternating layers of fiberglass (cloth I assume?) and digicam fabric. Did you just use the fiberglass resin and hardener that comes in a kit from Bondo?
I work at an orthotic and prosthetic shop so I have a ton of different materials to choose from. For this set I used a 090 fiberglass braid between each layer of fabric. The resin I used it a modified acrylic resin that sets up quick and clear. I will probably make a set with carbon and or some dyed kevlar in the future. Id also like to experiment with some other fabrics as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went a step further today and made my own clipdraw. Turned out great and improved on the original in several ways. I used prepreg carbon to make this as a wet lam layup would not work here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts