M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First, I know I posted a couple days ago in optics, so I apologize for so many posts but I have taken the advice from that post and now my head is spinning making a decision on optic. So any opinion is welcome that will aid in my decision as being a young college guy with one rifle, I dont have the ability to buy all the scopes and try them out.

I was trying to stick with a mostly USA brand ie Leupold, Nightforce, Trijicon, kinda Vortex. My price range is 750 Max, so I have gotten to about the last page of Snipershide and ar15.com looking for used scopes that would possibly be in my price range. At this point I realize I need to make some compromises, as I was trying to be really set in Mil/Mil FFP, Mil-dot and Illum as a nice option. SO I would like to know what I should compromise on first or if there is a scope not mentioned that meets all criteria. I know people post about this all the time, but I like the attention(kidding). Any help is EXTREMELY appreciated.

For Leupold I am pulled towards the Mk4, though the Lr/T and such prefixes confuse me the more I go on, though I get the m1,2,3 turret differences.

In my last post the Nightforce SHV line was mentioned so I have been looking at those.

The Trijicon Accupoint line interests me.

And for Vortex the 2.5-10x32 interests me.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
in the $750 and under camp, id shoot for a leupold. the NF SHV is a dang good scope for the money, but its a bit north of your budget. i prefer anything NF to anything leupy, but work within your budget, or save a bit longer.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Do what I did, wait patiently for a good scope in your range to go up for sale around the forums. If it's a NF or a Trijicon whatever. 750 gets you a great used scope from any of the mfgs you listed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey guys,

First, I know I posted a couple days ago in optics, so I apologize for so many posts but I have taken the advice from that post and now my head is spinning making a decision on optic. So any opinion is welcome that will aid in my decision as being a young college guy with one rifle, I dont have the ability to buy all the scopes and try them out.

I was trying to stick with a mostly USA brand ie Leupold, Nightforce, Trijicon, kinda Vortex. My price range is 750 Max, so I have gotten to about the last page of Snipershide and ar15.com looking for used scopes that would possibly be in my price range. At this point I realize I need to make some compromises, as I was trying to be really set in Mil/Mil FFP, Mil-dot and Illum as a nice option. SO I would like to know what I should compromise on first or if there is a scope not mentioned that meets all criteria. I know people post about this all the time, but I like the attention(kidding). Any help is EXTREMELY appreciated.

For Leupold I am pulled towards the Mk4, though the Lr/T and such prefixes confuse me the more I go on, though I get the m1,2,3 turret differences.

In my last post the Nightforce SHV line was mentioned so I have been looking at those.

The Trijicon Accupoint line interests me.

And for Vortex the 2.5-10x32 interests me.
What are you putting the scope on and what kind of distance do you expect to shoot. Target or for game? I've fell in love with the Vortex Viper line with a 30mm tube and 50mm objective lens for my M14. They draw in more light and a crystal clear image vs. the higher end Leupold scopes. The Vipers are well within your price range. They have other options in the Viper line.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Be sure to check for deals on SWFA's Sample List.
There are some nice deals in the Vortex listing.

e.g.
Here is a nice Vortex Viper PST , it's MOA not Mil, but it is Illuminated for only $620.
http://www.samplelist.com/-P96851.aspx

Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Matte
Illuminated EBR-1 MOA (Red)
30mm
1/4 MOA Tactical Turrets
Side Focus
1st Focal Plane

Reactions: Warowl

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't think you'll find a new scope for better money than the vortex pst. I prefer 2nd focal plane and the bigger objective (x40 vs x32), although the x32 has parallax adjustment but doesn't have the awesome forgivingly large eyebox.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Not sure what power range you are considering, but you will occasionally see a SWFA SS
1-6 HD on sample list for around $700 ish. They are he!! for stout, mil/mil, illuminated, FFP scopes. If you can do without illumination, their 3x9 HD fits your other parameters as does their 3x15 Classic.

For sure do what others have mentioned, take your time and wait for a good deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.