Purchased in early Oct. 2016
2531XXX SA receiver
'50 SA barrel
SA bolt
SA op rod
SA trigger group
ME 1.5
TE 3
Stock, not sure. No markings, had to do some fitting. Feels nothing like the Boyds stock on my M1A.

Range report coming.......

#2 ·
Range Report

First two pics are from shooting the rifle as it was when I bought it.

Pic. 1 - American Eagle 150 gr FMJ

Pic. 2 - Danish Surplus

Pic. 3 - After some stock and hand guard fitting.
Top group, American Eagle 150 gr FMJ
Bottom group, Danish Surplus

All targets, 100 yards, bench.

Thank you M14 Forum!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
Gotta love the M1. I got my first in the late 80's, a Korean re import. It would not hold Elmer Keiths hat at 50 yds! Barrel just gone, so had it rebarreled with NM tube and it shot great, got me started in match shooting and lots of fun. Eventually sold it to a buddy, now deceased so I don't know what happens to it now. But I have my H&R DCM rifle and its not going anywhere. If you want yours to shoot tighter, glass bed it. It makes a lot of difference. And no the M1 stock is a club compared to an M14.

#12 ·
Very nice looking piece of wood you have; I love my Garands! For as clean as the stock is, I would suspect that it has to at least have a faint cartouche... If it doesn't, I'd almost believe it to be commercial; it looks that nice.

One of the biggest kicks I get out of 'em is taking them to the range. First come the looks from afar, and then the slow walk-bys, and then they're standing around watching. I've let many people put a clip through them, and if it's a kid, I'll give them the en bloc they emptied with the spent brass in it as a souvenir...they really get a kick out of it.

I just sold the last of my Danish, Greek (AMA, not HXP) and Korean ammo today, but I scored a pile of surplus LC in bandoliers that I'm picking up on Saturday.

-WRM

#18 ·
A Garand is definitely on my list. Yours is a beaut. I hope you don't mind if I covet it until I get my own.

I had hoped to acquire an M1 from CMP. On a drive to Chicago, I even made a recon pitstop at Camp Perry. I joined DCFS (a SEPA range) a few years ago, partly because they were a CMP affiliate. In the past year or so DCFS appears to have been dropped from CMP's list. Gah. Set back. Needless to say, I am a bit annoyed with DCFS. And the dream goes on.

#21 ·
I shoot at DCFS.

If you participate in a high power match there, it fulfills the marksmanship requirement for CMP.

I joined The Garand Collectors Ass. to purchase from CMP. Once I got everything in order, CMP was sold out of the special grades........
So I bought this one at the Oaks Gun show in Oct. from a local vendor, that had the best Garands at the show. I have their info if you are interested.

They took it all apart, walk you through assembly, disassembly, etc.

#22 ·
Thanks for the tip on the Garand Collectors' Association. I hadn't known about that.

You are correct about the high power match as a qualifier. I had forgotten about the that. My original plan was 10 boxes of 12ga. at table-trap plus a range officer's signature testifying that I had shot the 200 rounds. I only had the shotgun when I originally joined DCFS.

I still hope to go the CMP route but I wouldn't mind your vendor's info as a back up. Considering how often and how long CMP has been sold out, that may become the best option in the end. I have an M14 barreled-receiver to keep me busy for the time being. A Garand as next on the list.

Again, your Garand is the cat's pajamas. I hope it's as fun as it looks.

#24 ·
Got my plastic Scout first, then the Garands. I Like the Scout more, no, I think I like the Garands more, no after some thought, it's the Scout, wait......

#28 ·
Well, here's some progress.
Following the Art Luppino Coaxing The Garand threads...........

FGMM
100 yds.
Bench.

1 ten round string to zero and settle the action back into the stock, not pictured.

Pic 1, 10 round string, was going very well, then I muffed the last two shots high. Obvious operated induced vertical stringing.........

Pic 2, 10 round string,

Pic 3, 10 round string,

The big improvement was that prior to doing Art's mods, by the time I got up to 40 rounds, the "groups" were very wide.

Post mod, it seems to be getting better as everything settles back in.

Single load shooting.

USGI front sight is a tough one!!!!

Thank You Art Luppino!!!!!!

#29 · (Edited)
You need to get off that damn bench and find out how your M1 really shoots. Only donut-stuffers shoot exclusively from the bench.

Throw a mat or canvas tarp down, get proned-out and slung in tight, and pump some clips through it. It'll force you to control and focus on every aspect of marksmanship. Once you're shooting consistent groups at 200yds (minimum) from prone, well, then you're ready to upgrade to the fun stuff.

Start working through shooting from the various service rifle and field positions, i.e., sitting, kneeling, squatting ("rice-paddy prone") and standing/off-hand, ...

And if you're really ambitious, try Spetsnaz-prone. It's physically challenging but do-able unless you're, ... ah, too over-fed. I practiced shooting my 7.62 Tanker M1 in Spetsnaz-prone during a Tac Rifle course last year, and man was it a blast.

Spetsnaz Prone.
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sFq2fRzkg6k[/ame]

#30 ·
Thanks for the kind words.RNGR2

I've been doing some CMP 100 yard shoots with my M1A.
Plan on doing some shoots with this Garand but felt the accuracy wasn't there.
Hoping to produce tangible examples for all who followed Art's threads.

Your input is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.