M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas,

New member here from the great city of Detroit, MI.

Just picked up my first M1A this weekend. After years of drooling over one, I saw the exact model I've wanted for a long time at the local gun show.

It's the SAI loaded with the SS barrel, model MA9826. I couldn't be happier with the purchase, and I feel like it's a dream finally realized.

[/IMG]

I am contemplating what mods I should do first. I plan on getting proficient with the iron sights for awhile (love those irons on the M1A) but in a month or two I'll probably be putting some glass on it.

I am thinking about a Zeiss Conquest scope, probably the 3.5-10x, as I had one on an older AR-10 for awhile and I loved the clarity and quality of the glass. What kind of magnification is good for the M1A?

I am also debating the scope mount. I have read lots of good things about the Bassett Machine mount, but I know there are other good ones out there. Any recommendations on other mounts? The Smith Enterprises might be a little expensive for me, but I am open to all possibilities. I want a solid mount for sure, and I don't want to compromise quality.

Other than that, I'll probably pick up a strap-on cheek piece (looking at the Coyote) and a Harris bipod, and that's about it. I'm 99% sure I won't be dropping in a new stock like the JAE, although they look nice. Just too expensive.

My main question though, is what parts should I be looking to upgrade that will most improve the rifle's performance? I have heard that replacing the spring guide is recommended...is there anything else that's good to swap out or add?

Anyways, just wanted to show off the new rifle. Any suggestions on where to go from here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Welcome from the FREE state of TEXAS!!!
I too got the LOADED M1A w/ wood furniture and just love it! I suggest breaking it in and shooting it and see what you need after that if $$$ are a concern, I mean w/ these rifles the sky is the limit
About what you can do to upgrade them. Browse tonybens videos he is a great help w/ everything from
Maintenance and tuning and tear down.
Enjoy your new rifle and the forum!
Charlie

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Welcome from your neighbor to the south. Congrats on the great rifle. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome from MN.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. Great looking rifle!!

I think most would agree that the least expensive way to go is to do nothing (make no changes) to the rifle until you get used to it and learn for certain what it's capable of. Then, perhaps, small changes incrementally over time to improve it's performance.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Welcome from Texas, congratulations on your rifle. Buy AMMO lots of it a case of 500rds would be a decent start 1000rds would be better. A rifle without ammo is just an expensive club. Ammo's not getting cheaper. Listen to Mainzer's advice , go slowly modifying her , only 1 step at a time. Just because an ad says so or another rifle shoots better with a mod doesn't mean yours will , each one is different. Learn to shoot her, get a baseline, then do only 1 mod at a time so you know what works and what doesn't. That being said Bassett mounts are great, and ARMS #18 mounts are the lowest , I'd recommend either . The Bassett is removable without POA,POI changes, An ARMS can be equipped with QD rings and essentially do the same thing. A Zeiss Conquest is a excellent scope and 3.5x10 would be a great choice. Have FUN........

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! I just went through the scope mount thing, and I ended up with an A.R.M.S. 18. Lube the rifle up and get some rounds down range, Watch Tonybens vids, and buy or reload lots of ammo before any changes. Everyone here has given you great advice. Its up to what to make of it.GI5

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.