M14 Forum banner

My first M1a, the Cali-gun

384 12
My son purchased his M1a back in 2016. We shot it together and he stealthily worked on me with subliminal messages. He also visited Fred’s years ago and picked up some stocks, one of which M1Army finished for him. It is an eye catcher! That kind of made me want to try and finish a stock, so of course I needed a rifle! My gun has a camo stock and slotted hand guard. I don’t know anything about the stock or rail mounted on the front for a bipod.

Wood Floor Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

You may have seen the post my son made Escape from Suburbia and Shooting with Dad which had a couple of pictures of both of our M1a’s. There’s a post in that thread by M1Army with before and after pictures when he finished my son’s rifle. Our rifles are 450 serial numbers apart which is pretty wild! I had promised a posting with some pictures of my rifle and finally got around to it. I have questions below on specifics of the rifle but appreciate any input you may have to educate me on what I have here.

This thread was made by my son trying to determine the vendor of the scope mount that came with the rifle Can anyone help identify this scope mount? . Seems most think it to be Leatherwood. The gun currently has the lug for the scope mounting versus the striper clip guide. The gun came without a scope, and I do not have one.

I made a post before I received the gun with a picture of some of the numbers on the barrel.

Barrel number decoder help, I think I got most of it. forceman, XM25Ren, and Random guy shared it is a Douglas machined by Gene Barnett for Smith Enterprises in Arizona. I have included a picture of the barrel here that shows more of the barrel.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun accessory Gun barrel

Aircraft Wood Airplane Metal Font

Here is a picture of the rear sight which is a National Match sight. Any other detail, USGI? I have a hooded aperture for the rear sight also. The bolt, I believe is, a USGI TRW, correct? The scope mounting lug is visible also. The front sight (not pictured) has NM062 on it.

Sleeve Automotive exterior Auto part Bicycle part Bumper

Here is a picture of the op rod, USGI TRW, correct? The spring guide is round versus the flat spring guide. I did get a flat spring guide and another spring with the rifle.

Air gun Trigger Wood Office supplies Office equipment

USGI TRW trigger group and a Harrison Richardson hammer.

Wood Revolver Hardwood Gun accessory Trigger

Wood Finger Thumb Bumper Nail

There is a bright polished looking or rubbed place on the barrel that can be seen in the picture below. Anyone know what it is from or is for?

Material property Office supplies Office equipment Air gun Trigger

So, there you have it. I’d appreciate validation of my assumptions on the parts and any other detail you may be able to provide to help me better know the rifle. It appears to be loaded with USGI parts and National Match sites front and rear.

Oh, I refer to it as the Cali gun because of where it came from, though an M1 Carbine recently joined it from the same state so the name may not stick.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
My gun has a camo stock and slotted hand guard. I don’t know anything about the stock or rail mounted on the front for a bipod.

View attachment 498086
Looks like you picked up a nice rifle. Someone put a lot of thought into building that with NM and TRW parts, bet its a shooter! The stock most likely came from Fred's, he sold several camo patterns back in the day. They were paint for him by Van Der Staak and are pretty rare today. You don't see them come up for sale very often, its a good find. See post #17 for more examples:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks like you picked up a nice rifle. Someone put a lot of thought into building that with NM and TRW parts, bet its a shooter! The stock most likely came from Fred's, he sold several camo patterns back in the day. They were paint for him by Van Der Staak and are pretty rare today. You don't see them come up for sale very often, its a good find. See post #17 for more examples:

That is some very cool information! This forum is awesome.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that would be pretty cool! Are there any identifiers for Fred's painted stocks? The stock finish is rough, like a sand texture. There is a second non slotted hand guard that is painted the same way.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The shiny spot on your barrel looks like someone shimmed the gas system to the barrel for a tighter fit. Second, more wild ass guess, is that it is a stainless steel barrel that was coated or refinished to look like a standard black phosphor finish, with a wider band of barrel than nexessary taped off for refitting the gas system with no drama.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
Well, that would be pretty cool! Are there any identifiers for Fred's painted stocks? The stock finish is rough, like a sand texture. There is a second non slotted hand guard that is painted the same way.
Adrian Van Der Staat Andrianus Van Der Staak was the one who did very nice paint work on stocks for Freds (Jack Daley), Fred was his dog. What you show is something he would/could do.
Search for threads about the Van Der Staak stocks, there are a few. You may end up finding out who originally had yours if it is a AVDS painted stock.
PS, my spelling of his name may be wrong, it might be Andrianus Van Der Staak
Go to post #17 for a pic of a few. Has anyone ever seen a Fiberglass stock like this before?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts