M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The long wait/journey to even getting this thing is here: New member from NYC
Had to wait on NYPD to approve the M1A, then waited a year for a walnut version which never appeared. Bought the SAI M1A Loaded with synthetic stock and decided to restore a stock from Fred's.

My process at a high level:
  1. Stripped multiple times with Citristrip
  2. Tried to sand as much of the imperfections as I could, without messing up the lines.
    1. 100 grit, then 150, then 220
    2. followed this guide: Refinishing wooden stocks.
  3. Slapped on Starbrite teak oil and wet sanded with 220 grit, repeat 3-4x. Sometimes drying for a few hours, sometimes overnight
    1. Followed the info here: Teak Oil Wet Sanding and Alcohol Dye Application
  4. Eventually decided I wanted some shine to this, so I applied Tru-Oil. 3 coats.
  5. Had to get the dummy selector switch and rod fitted. Switch bought from Sparrow Hawk before they closed up shop last month.
    1. Really thankful for Ted Brown's diagram here: Connector rod modification
    2. Ted's diagram was way more helpful than the actual instructions from the Sparrow Hawk site
    3. Fitting the switch was a bit more difficult, probably due to my stock. Ended up using 3 washers on one screw and none on the other (4 washers provided)
  6. Added a Sadlak heavy duty steel rail on the front
    1. Easy drilling and fitting
    2. I bought the USGI Wood stock specific version, so no additional relief sanding needed on the inside of the stock. But I did need longer screws, the 3/8" length included wasnt enough, 1/2" or 3/4" both worked though.
  7. Other parts on the gun:
    1. Sadlak Airborne scope mount
    2. Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15x
    3. Atlas PSR BT46 bipod
Finally, heres a picture:
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

I have yet to go fire it, hopefully in the next few weekends I'll have some time.

Also, obviously i am VERY grateful for all the info on this forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I understand the affliction of Refinish! I have done few grade stocks & one that I almost drove myself crazy with amount of shine vs sheen! lol Fine looker! congrats!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I might go back and refinish this again in the future, or try to keep an eye out for other nice stocks I can buy. My main gripes are the various deep dents and scratches on the stock that would require me to sand off waaay too much to get rid of. I dont baby any of my guns though, so maybe its better off that this one already has some battle scars that I can't get rid of.

On another note, this stock had "84" stenciled on the butt. Most of it was removed during refinishing, but since I tried to avoid sanding too much too close to the butt, some of it remains.
Here's a picture of it before refinishing:
Tints and shades Chemical compound Fashion accessory Copper Transparency

I was thinking about restoring that, but at the same time it may look weird on a stock that is glossy. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The refinishing job on the stock sends that rifle over the top!! You obviously have lots of patience.

I need to find a stock like that for one of my rifles....just because.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Very nice. Love the color.

If you want to remove deeper dings and scratches without deep sanding, try steaming. Start with a wet cloth, I’ve used wash cloths and shop rags, and lay it over the area to be addressed. Use a standard iron and introduce gear to the damaged area. Deeper gouges may require multiple treatments but most come out first time around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts