M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this K98 war trophy in about 1989 from a gundealer that was a good friend of mine. The widow of the vet who captured it was selling off all his firearms after his death. It was made by Mauser in 43, carried by a Wehrmacht Soldier until his death or surrender then brought back to the States as a war trophy, hung on a wall or hidden in a closet until it made its way to that gunshop. At the time it was a lot of money for me for a K98. I think $295. It had been passed up by "real" collectors and shooters because of the duffel bag cut. That is where the stock is cut, usually under the barrel band to make the K98 stock short enough to put it in your GI issue duffel bag to bring it home. The rifle is all matching and all wear on the rifle is from the German who used it. I am the third owner and really can feel the history when ever I pick it up.

I am going to a shoot at a private club/ranch next weekend and wanted to bring a few pieces that I had not shot in awhile. One problem with this rifle was that the old repair of the duffel bag cut had failed. What ever glue that was used so long ago had given up, so I needed to fix it.

Old cut

Part of the old repair was that someone had put a steel pin in the stock the help hold the two pieces together.

Glued back together! I am not trying to hide the duffel bag cut or to make the stock perfect, "as issued". It is what it is , a war trophy, a piece of history.

Cut is hidden!

I am really looking forward to taking this K98 out into the Texas sunshine and ringing a gong downrange with it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow that is neat. No sense in hinding the part that makes it cool!

Let us know how she shoots.

Reactions: Glashaus

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Good looking Mauser! At least the duffel cut is under the band and not across the butt of the stock like some I've seen. Walnut isn't very common on '43 dated 98Ks.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I love me some K98s!!! What a beautiful rifle you have there and I'm sure it has some history it can tell too!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good looking Mauser! At least the duffel cut is under the band and not across the butt of the stock like some I've seen. Walnut isn't very common on '43 dated 98Ks.
Horst, if I remember right you collect K98's. I believe that this rifle is a transition piece to the Kriegs Model. It has the cupped butt plate and the front sight hood, but still has the walnut stock. Both stock and hand guard are serial numbered to the rifle. The other World War II war trophy Mauser that I have is a CZ33 carbine, that was captured and then used by a US vet, I have his name and I am the owner after him. I will be taking that shooting next week as well. I have two what I believe are WWI trophy Mausers, a G98 and a 98a that is completely matching. The G98 is a depot level repair made up from parts from three rifles, very interesting.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
I know we all love our Garands, but I have to also admit I feel a little naked when I do not have a good ole' 98K tucked away in the safe somewhere.

I made a thread about a good reliable bolt action rifle as being necessary for every shooter to own. I personally think a 98K and about 300 rounds fits the bill perfectly.

There is just something about them. Maybe the fact it is legal to hunt with pretty much everywhere hunting is allowed and the round can bring down anything in North America.

Nice score, Glashaus. I first heard that statement about a good bolt action from a gentleman shooter at Subblefield Lake off I-45 exit 102 New Waverly exit. Ever been there? I remembered the exit number because..."Do you want ONE O TWO hotdogs" for lunch.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I got very lucky with a vet bring back Mauser. It was mailed home whole,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
by my Father. Combat medic,US 29th ID

OP,I've great success in repairing vet cut downs using 2 or 3 wood dowels and Guerrilla glue,,not the regular wood glue (like elmers or tru-bond),,the expanding glue,,,and a couple of pipe clamps.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Duffel cuts may turn off collectors, but to me it adds a personal touch to the piece during the timeframe it was used, much like the captured Japanese or German flags with GI's names written all over them.

I've got a matching byf44 with a duffel cut I picked up about the same time from a rural gun shop for $150. Whoever did it must have been in a hurry as it's cut at a real weird angle no matter how you look at it, and they didn't try at all to have it hidden under the band. I've never seen another like it and I should get a pic of it. It was repaired and unfortunately also heavily sanded and polyurethaned so the marks are barely visible.

The metal is in excellent condition and bore is like new. This gun was made at a time when they started discontinuing stamping of the stock, bands, floorplate, etc. The bolt matches the action and itself but the rest is un-numbered.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
A 1943 date would be a bit early for a Kriegsmodel. All that I've owned have been '44 dated and some had ZF 41 scope rails.

Some of the most advanced Mauser collectors are buddies and duffel cuts don't bother them if these are properly repaired. I recently had a 1913 vintage G98 in at least 95% original condition with duffel cut repaired by a pro in Oklahoma and I'm about to send him a 98 A but it's not as nice. The 98G is one of the best known and the repair is practically invisible, so it hardly detracts. My favorites are matching pre-war models and I used to find one a year but prices on these have gone beyond reason. I still know of some in Europe but they have already been promised to those higher in the pecking order.

My biggest problem with 98Ks is that at this age, the sight picture isn't as friendly as it once was.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At the time, late 80"s, duffle bag cuts were a turn off for some collectors, at least in the area I was, pre- internet, remember that? The cuts are not a problem now, in fact they are desirable to the point where I have seen duffle bag cuts on 98k's that could not have been USGI war trophy's. Like every other collectible firearm out there, people are making fakes.

Horst, mine is a bit early for a true Kriegs Model, that is why I said transitional. I have had a few pre war, WW1 Mausers in my collection over the years and I must say they are some of the finest, best finished firearms ever made. I am talking regular military Mausers, not commercial guns, they really built them well. When I had the divorce sell off and came to Texas, I kept four, a 1915 G98, a 1916 98a, a 1933 CZ33 and the 1943 98k. It is a nice little group of rifles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There really is'nt a "transitional" Kreigsmodell...it either is or is not one. Late 1944 oberndorf started assembling some Kmods. You can find both standard and Kmod in byf45 production as they used whatever was on the shelf they could. Anyhow I have repaired dozens of 98k , kar98a and gew98 duffle cuts - under and between the bands. Wood glue(s) do not work - they will shoot loose. I drill two mating holes in stock and forend and anchor two long coarse threaded screws in one side with fiberglass resin. I use paste wax on any metal or wood surfaces that I do not want the resin to adhere to. I fill the two remaining holes with resin and apply some to the cut ends ( I also score them with a dremel ) I reassmble - especially taking care if a cleaning rod nut is in the joint area like on gew98's and 10 " rod 98k models. I make sure cleaning rod is in place and let it sit in a horizontal shooting posiiton overnight. After cure I simply disassemble and clean off the paste wax and any fiberglass overflow and dress up repaired joint. You can shoot the snot out of this type of repair and even use a bayonet.
On gew98's especially the fiberglass resin and long screws embeded are a must as the narrow forestock with rod nut and band spring channel are a very weak area to begin with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love guns with traceable history.
I hear you on that !. I have a gorgeous 1913 Spandau gew98 that some doughboy scribed in the buttstock "13 october 1918 CPL Reb" It had a shrapnel hit on the rear band which I had to address as it would not allow disassmbly to clean up and inspect stock for damage at the shrapnel hit.
I have had similar others but the 'art' done to those was ugly enough for me not to keep them.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
You have great taste, Glashaus. I started shooting 98Ks in the late 1950s when a nice matching rifle cost between $30-$35, but to a kid earning a dollar an hour they weren't cheap. At that time, probably the majority were converted to deer rifles which is one of the reasons unaltered, matching examples are scarce today. Back then, unless a sling came with the rifle it was very difficult to find one because several militaries were still using the 98K.

The CZ 33s have always been scarce. As you probably already know, they were originally Czech police carbines. Most of these I've come across were captured by GIs after the summer of '44 when the contents of the police armories were given to the military during the emergency. Like its successor, the G. 33/40, they're handy but their recoil takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is my CZ33. It is also a WWII war trophy. I am the owner after the vet that captured and used the rifle for the rest of the war in place of the M1 carbine that he was issued. He was an officer in an Armor unit. It has the original cleaning rod in the compartment in the butstock. It is all matching execpt for the bolt. The bolt is has all matching number bolt components made by German code manufacture,ghn (Carl Ullrich & Co, Oberschönau, Thüringen) without any Waffenamt marks. This rifle was captured with this bolt so who knows how it got there. I like to think that when the Germans annexed and occupied Czechoslovakia, either the German troops removed the bolt from the rifle or the Czech troops removed it and threw it in a river to deny the Germans use of the rifle. Then at some point a new bolt was ordered up for it. Either way, it is a piece of history that I will hold onto for awhile.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
At least it was done very neatly by hiding it under the stock band. I used to have a G43 that was cut across the butt area of the stock and then glued back together, it looked like crap.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At least it was done very neatly by hiding it under the stock band. I used to have a G43 that was cut across the butt area of the stock and then glued back together, it looked like crap.
Tommo, but at least it was a G43, nice rifle any way you can get it!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
My hunting and fishing buddy of many years was a disabled 1st Sgt. in the ETO who after his fourth wound, was assigned to Bradley's staff. He sent home some fine rifles, including a matching VZ. 33 by simply packaging them and addressing them to his wife. If he'd sent them all together, it would have taken four good men plus the prez just to lift the crate. Having had four daughters who could care less about guns, he asked me to sell these for him and keep what I liked during his final years, which I did.

In spite of his disability, he built a highly successful printing business. During the war he'd seen some hard service and had lost a younger brother at the Bulge. What I'll never forget was the time we had a relative visiting from Europe who had been an officer on the other side. We all went to dinner together and my buddy insisted on buying Onkel his dinner.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts