M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was a long time ago . . .in the early 1960s. JKF had been assassinated, then his brother RFK . . .and then MLK. The demand for gun control became a front burner item in a society that was much less complex then at present; only three news networks and rotary dial phones. The public discussion ranged from doing nothing to forced confiscation of everything that shots including BB guns.

My father was a straight arrow kind of guy. Not a player in any sense. He always decried an illegal block or holding in football and never exceeded the speed limit. He was a good man in in all of the other really important ways that actually matter in life too.

So one evening I found him banging away at his work bench on a project that looked line a box. Now Dad was not a craftsman by any means. He was a pediatrician, a baby doctor. If he needed anything built he hired a carpenter and got it done right. And here he was working with a saw and hammer. So I asked about it.

And he said that if they wanted to confiscate all the guns he would burry his deer rifle and shotgun under the peony bushes!

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is one of the major arguments I have with anti-gun folks, and for which they have no good answer. Prior to the GCA ‘68, you could order a bolt-action or semi-auto rifle, a revolver, a semi-auto pistol and have them shipped straight to your front door via the USPS. Basically, any adult could. And yet, as easy as it was to buy guns, we did not have mass shootings in schools, places of employment, shopping malls and theaters, etc. But we did have corporal punishment at home and in school, we had reform schools (which was a frequent parental threat when you really misbehaved!). We were raised on the history of our nation and to respect authority and be a good citizen. What happened to all that?

Yes, no one had AR’s or AK’s. But they certainly had M1 Garands, M1A’s, M1 carbines and other firearms that may “look” different, but have pretty much the same firepower.

Guns have not really changed, except that legally they are substantially harder to obtain. Society has changed. And the governmental forces that drove that change will never admit, even on their deathbed, that their misguided views have changed this nation in numerous ways that assault our freedoms and our birthright.

If there was no SA, we’d be worse than Canada right now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
bdhuntr - you hit the nail on the head. Society has changed, and the changes are what the liberals and progressives wanted. They'll never admit that their changed made things much worse. My father used to tell me that in the 30's and 40's his father and uncle would buy dynamite at the hardware store to use on their farm. This didn't cause a problem then, but I can't imagine it now. They won't have that discussion with us now, because they have no good answers. Their ideas have failed, and we, and more importantly our children are left to pay the price.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
"They'll never admit that their change made things much worse"

That's because in their view, it made things better, more in keeping with where they want to end up.
It makes it much easier for the masses to accept more control and less freedom, when the level of chaos grows.

·
Registered
170 Posts
"They'll never admit that their change made things much worse"

That's because in their view, it made things better, more in keeping with where they want to end up.
It makes it much easier for the masses to accept more control and less freedom, when the level of chaos grows.
I do not believe in any capacity that they believe “it made things better”. That’s what they preach, but it’s not what they truly believe. It is a tool to keep them ensconced in power. If they truly had faith in what they espouse, their children would be educated in public schools, they’d have the same health care plans most of us do, they’d live in the same neighborhoods we do (or the neighborhoods of the poor who they say their policies over the past 50 years have been designed to lift up).

No. They do not believe a word of what they preach. It is nothing but a drug for the masses that continue to vote them in office and feed their power hunger.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You're right about the schools their children attend. I grew up outside of D.C., and worked in that area until 2008 when I retired and left. Every now and then a politician or liberal activist's child would get mentioned on the news. They all went to some of the most expensive, exclusive private schools in that area. What's good enough for us is nowhere near good enough for them.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow . . .guess I got off on a nostalgia rant there. Thinking of how simple life seemed when I was in the 7th grade.

But what really got me started off was thinking about the news from Canada. The authorities there think there are 5,ooo "M14 derivatives" in the hands od civilians nation wide. There are probably 10x that. And the same for AR and AK "derived" firearms.

Canadian society is different from Australia or New Zealand. Sure there will be those who turn-in or sell back their guns. But I have a suspicion that most guns not already registered will find their way into the market place here in the USA if legally possible, into the Canadian black market . . . or into the ground.

At some point, shovels will become as scarce in Canada as toilet paper is here in my Texas Walmart.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Hi,
I was thinking the same thing.

Let's see Sir, you are telling me I can't protect myself and my family, and...

Have to turn in my guns?

Uh....I don't think so!!!

I hope they shove this, up that JO's butt!!!

And I thought we had all the Slimeballs!USN4

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
You're right about the schools their children attend. I grew up outside of D.C., and worked in that area until 2008 when I retired and left. Every now and then a politician or liberal activist's child would get mentioned on the news. They all went to some of the most expensive, exclusive private schools in that area. What's good enough for us is nowhere near good enough for them.
Absolutely. Every now and then you may get one true believer that will send their child to PS 113, or live in a borderline neighborhood of questionable safety. But the vast majority believe there’s a wide gulf that separates us and them.

I can just imagine how well they and their families have been “struggling” through their self-quarantine. Likely every one has been tested and well taken care of.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Hi,
I was thinking the same thing.

Let's see Sir, you are telling me I can't protect myself and my family, and...

Have to turn in my guns?

Uh....I don't think so!!!

I hope they shove this, up that JO's butt!!!

And I thought we had all the Slimeballs!USN4
I am thinking that woman is going to get cold.

RENGI2

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I do not believe in any capacity that they believe “it made things better”. That’s what they preach, but it’s not what they truly believe. It is a tool to keep them ensconced in power. If they truly had faith in what they espouse, their children would be educated in public schools, they’d have the same health care plans most of us do, they’d live in the same neighborhoods we do (or the neighborhoods of the poor who they say their policies over the past 50 years have been designed to lift up).

No. They do not believe a word of what they preach. It is nothing but a drug for the masses that continue to vote them in office and feed their power hunger.
You misunderstand my point. It made it "better" in their view because as I say, it makes it easier to get the masses to swallow more control, the ultimate goal.
Not that it actually made conditions better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You misunderstand my point. It made it "better" in their view because as I say, it makes it easier to get the masses to swallow more control, the ultimate goal.
Not that it actually made conditions better.
You may have a point. But even a simpleton can see that in the long run, they have opened the floodgates to lose that power...permanently. But they are so sure that their path is correct, they fail to see that in another 40 to 50 years their children and their children’s children will be the ones under the yoke. And by then it will be too late.

Most of us have seen the best that this nation will ever be. And that is the most tragic thing of all.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Most of us have seen the best that this nation will ever be. And that is the most tragic thing of all.
Hi,
Yep, hard to fight stupid, and...

These days, we are eat up with it!!!USN4

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts