M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few images from my current M1A project. I made a carbon fiber composite stock to add to my M1A. It's lighter than the synthetic stock that comes standard from Springfield and I think it looks much cooler to boot! I've been impact testing the stock to see how durable it is and so far I'm through 2300 cycles and it looks as good as new.

My next steps are to add Picatinny rails and finalize which recoil pad I want to use.

My next project is a carbon fiber composite stock for a Remington 700. I think it will be a .308 SA BDL model.

Dave

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
That is one sexy stock. That will look great in my M25.

How much for a Black Friday special?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. I haven't firmed up a price yet but I'm thinking in the $550 to $750 dollar range. With that said, if there is enough interest, I was thinking about offering an introductory price and $475 sounded about right.

I haven't done a completely exhaustive search but I don't think there are many 100% carbon fiber stocks on the market. I know some have a carbon fiber shell but my M1A stock is 100% carbon fiber (with some Kevlar in logical places), lighter than fiberglass, and stiffer. Plus, that carbon fiber look is tough to beat!

Dave

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
THAT is how you modernize a M14, that looks awesome! Id almost sell my sage for that. I imagine it would hold an action as well as a bedded stock due to its ridgidity. Nice work my friend.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Holy crap, you made that!? I am in awe. Well done sir. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments.

The stock doesn't actually have a gel coat. It comes out of the mold with an excellent surface and only requires a bit of fine grit sanding to smooth the seams. I am working with the painter who paints composite parts for me to come up with a good finish option. It will likely be a marine grad two part UV resistant urethane clear coat, probably flat.

Dave Tandy

·
Registered
219 Posts
Very nicely done. How much lighter is a carbon fiber stock, than the synthetic?

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
It will definitely need some kind of coat, I used to have car parts that were not coated and the carbon fiber started to flake off. Yes it was real carbon fiber, I also had a piece that was clear coated after 2 years the clear coat started to come off and the the carbon started to flake off again.

Oh and patiently waiting for you to open up some kind of ordering

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
Many years ago I susgested a Carbon Fiber handguard and couldn't find anyone enterested in making one or many, I was given the advice too contact Vltor as both they and I were both located in Tucson Az. Couldn't get Vltor fired up as there were looking in another direction. Oh well life goes on........

Fast forward about a year later or so later one of the guy's here on the forum and his partner made a few aerospace carbon fiber stocks in the standard USGI profile they were painted a anti-corrosion green color. The two that I have seen first hand the inletting was rather course, understandable as that is very hard too control any liquid matting with a vacume.

One option too the stock owner is too glass bed the rifle, however the owner has too worry about cracking the gel-coat, not good in my opinion. So before everyone gets all reved up about a New Carbon Fiber Stock how's YOUR inletting look? and how many layers is the C/F, how thick is the gel-coat if someone desides too bed there rifle?

I don't mean too, Poo Poo your post but pretty on the outside is just frosting, I like Meat and potato's.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,829 Posts
How about one in Carbon/Kevlar and clear coated, the black and yellow would look cool.

Casey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts