M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to show off my two USGI duracoat stocks. The first one I have been working on for several days. I started out painting it OD Green, but I ran out of OD Green because I used it on an SKS stock as well. Luckily another Airman on base was selling his Duracoat paint, and he happened to have Tactical OD Green. There isn't much of a color difference, so I did about 5 coats of this over the original OD Green. Lastly, I finished the stock with several clear coats for protection. The durability is a little questionable based off of my SKS stock, so I'm giving it at least 24 hours before I put my M1A into it for picture purposes. I also have stock parts coming in the mail soon (thank you, Forceman) that will complete it. The only thing I couldn't save on either stock are the textured grips. The previous owner sanded one completely off, and left others partially sanded. I decided not to sand the grips at all. Figured something is better than nothing.

The second one has only 1 coat right now. I put it on hold to focus getting the OD Green finished. I like the tan color a lot better than green. This one has stock parts coming in the mail as well.

Since these are my first stocks that I'm attempting to refinish, there are a lot of unknowns. I don't know how well Duracoat will actually hold up. I'm not sure if I should have painted the ferules. And I don't think I'm going to paint matching hand guards. I think hand guards painted flat black will give good color contrast to the stocks.

Feel free to give me opinions or advice! I really want to do quality refinishes, so anything, even negative input, is welcome.

Picture Update: My favorite is definitely the coyote tan stock.

·
Registered
425 Posts
They both look good. What did you use to paint them, an airbrush or did the duracoat come in spray cans? As you know I'm looking into different clear finishes to go over my fiberglass that I had dipped. I'd be interested in your opinions on the clearcoat you used.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In regard to painting the ferrules. On both of my GI fiberglass stocks had them painted that flat brown when I got them. I painted mine black because I like the ferrule to contrast
Yeah, I'm not going to paint them the same color any more. I will fix these using black duracoat, but in the future I plan to just tape off the ferule altogether.

They both look good. What did you use to paint them, an airbrush or did the duracoat come in spray cans? As you know I'm looking into different clear finishes to go over my fiberglass that I had dipped. I'd be interested in your opinions on the clearcoat you used.
I used the EZ Airbrush kit from Duracoat's website and hooked it up to an air compressor that I use for my car's tires. It doesn't give me the fine detailing ability that a nicer airbrush and compressor would, but it works.

As for the clear coat protectant, I can't give you an informed opinion yet. Duracoat says the stock and weapon can be reassembled and used after 24 hours, but that the Duracoat won't be at full strength until 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wholly agree. The axiom "Good things come to those who wait" applies here. Allow the polymer to cure before disturbing it with hardware assembly. Your finished product quality is directly related to how much patience you have, not how fast you do it.
I'm learning that lesson slowly but surely. I did the SKS stock in about 2 days, and decided to scratch test the protective coat about an hour afterwards. RNGR3 Bad idea.

Like Dresden said, the Duracoat gets significantly stronger every day. I did another scratch test recently (about 48 hours after application), and it barely scratches the surface. Within a week, these stocks should be good to go.

·
Registered
864 Posts
49sfs06,
I gotta say, the OD really looks good to me and sits better with black IMO. I like the metal hardware staying metal, or black, or greyish. To me it, looks more intentional to mask it off & leaving it alone vs. giving the appearance of over spraying.

Please follow up and let us know how the product does overtime....

-Josh

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the OD Green stock is good to go! Received the last piece of metal in the mail today (front sling mount).

The coyote tan stock, however, took a fall today while I was at work. Something (wind, kids, cat... wife) knocked it off the platform I had it on, and it fell on top of the ammo can in the pictures above. Made 2-3 small chips in the paint. I'm out of clear coat, and have only a tad bit of coyote tan paint left. I could apply one thin coat of it to cover the little damage, but then it wouldn't have a clear coat protectant on top. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yeah you want to give it a good while to cure. It all depends on how much hardener you used. On a paint job I did once it took a month to cure because I didn't use enough.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What grit of paper did you use to sand these? Picked up an early GI fiberglass that needs some love.
I bought a pack that had 3 different grits in it. Then I just used the one that took the most off. My main goal was getting all of the old paint off, and the end result was a white colored stock.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
I bought a pack that had 3 different grits in it. Then I just used the one that took the most off. My main goal was getting all of the old paint off, and the end result was a white colored stock.
Do you know how tough the grit on the paper was? I would think taking anything lower than 400 grit to a fiberglass stock would scar the heck out of it.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That looks awesome. I want to try a camouflage job using Duracoat, but I'm afraid of how it would turn out.

Duracoat has an Advanced Tiger Stripe pattern that looks really cool, but it requires 5 colors and I don't think I have the talent to do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts