M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It arrived on Wednesday and I was able to get it from the FedEx in the evening after they left me the door tag in the morning.

It was built with a Springfield Armory receiver from early 1942, according to a SN block look up site.

It's what I was hoping for, a like new looking Garand as near possible. The rear sight has some nice action to it. I still need to fully take the barreled action out of the stock to check all the lube points, etc. It's in there tight. Incidentally the trigger group comes out pretty easy though. Hopefully the two pictures loaded properly, rifle and chamber area of new barrel. I see they did; and therefore, I'm sorry about the 'Hanes'.

·
Registered
264 Posts
nice stick!! just got my service grade 2 weeks ago. strip her down , clean and lube anyway would be my advice. the Brownell's videos on their site, or on youtube are great for learning how to do it. i quit using lubriplate since in the heat out here it liquifies more than i care for. i am just using synthetic wheel bearing grease on my m1a and m1.
i have 192 rds thru mine so far. she runs great . i have a feb 1942 SA myself with a 1950 barrel, and it was rebuilt by SA in 1969, according to the etching on the reciever leg. have fun with it!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Congrats, Great rifle. I got my CMP special in 308 just a few months ago and love it.

Reactions: brianns

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure to properly grease the rifle before firing as they usually shipped dry. What do you mean by "The rear sight has some nice action to it" ?
Thanks. The sight knobs are not too hard to turn and the clicks feel positively distinct. It feels/sounds easy to distinguish each click. Compared to my M1A it's smoother. That was my first impression.

It was pretty dry too. I got some lube on it but I need to get all the way in it when I get a bit more time. Definitely before shooting.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks. The sight knobs are not too hard to turn and the clicks feel positively distinct. It feels/sounds easy to distinguish each click. Compared to my M1A it's smoother. That was my first impression.
Sight knobs shouldn't be loosely-goosey, but more on the "tight" side. Otherwise they'll flop around, and whatever zero you've established might come un-zeroed at some point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Beautiful Rifle! Enjoy!
I got a Special from CMP about 3 years ago, it was SA, August 1944 mfg. I am considering getting another one. If you don't mind me asking, about how long did it take from order mailing in, to receiving your rifle? I believe the CMP is a little jammed up right now with the recent M1 Carbine order rush.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sight knobs shouldn't be loosely-goosey, but more on the "tight" side. Otherwise they'll flop around, and whatever zero you've established might come un-zeroed at some point.
The M1 feels firm enough with positive clicks but not loose whereas my M1A is stiffer. On the M1A, I was more afraid to go too loose and have slipping when I set up the 200 zero. On the M1, I'll have to see how it goes when I set up the 200yd zero. I'm hoping I can retain the same feel it has now. I take your post as a good reminder though as I do this next one.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beautiful Rifle! Enjoy!
I got a Special from CMP about 3 years ago, it was SA, August 1944 mfg. I am considering getting another one. If you don't mind me asking, about how long did it take from order mailing in, to receiving your rifle? I believe the CMP is a little jammed up right now with the recent M1 Carbine order rush.
Don't mind at all, 6 weeks. Story below.

It went like this:
I sent in my application early March, like 1st or 2nd. I emailed CMP 3 weeks in approximately to see if they got my application. They responded they'll email when they get it to announce that my order has hit the sydtem, etc. Something to the effect that they wont just go look for it. No big deal. Soooo....

On morning of 4/12 I get an e-mail acknowledging my order has been received and it will processed after those ahead of it, yada yada yada. On my way out of work at the end of the same day I get these mysterious fedex texts indicating a delivery coming requiring a signature. I'm in a hurry so I get to the website a bit later and confirm that the delivery is coming from Anniston. And sure enough the next day they tried to deliver before 10:30am. I got it later in the evening at the store. They use priority overnight.

So almost a 6 week turn around. The order acknowledgement was kind of comical with the shipping notice hours later. Rifle might have been on a ready rack already til my turn came up.

I toyed with the idea of driving to the OH store and picking one out but decided against the added costs and time,etc and went the conventional route.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The M1 feels firm enough with positive clicks but not loose whereas my M1A is stiffer. On the M1A, I was more afraid to go too loose and have slipping when I set up the 200 zero. On the M1, I'll have to see how it goes when I set up the 200yd zero. I'm hoping I can retain the same feel it has now. I take your post as a good reminder though as I do this next one.
Yeah, no problem. Ease of turning the knobs is one thing, but "sloppy loose" is another.

Let us know how it went after you've got it zero-ed for 200yds.

·
Registered
264 Posts
here is the pic ......hard to read but looks to say 12-64, not 69 like i thought. i looked at it in different lighting, and the electric pencil was hard to make out, but i'm pretty sure its 64. thanks Phil!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.