M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH Boy :!: :!: They came in yesterday at work. My HRA Greek issue service grade serial # 5623086 and SA Danish issue rack grade serial # 1527064 :D :D :D :wink: :wink: . Can anyone tell me when they were built :?: .What is the best way to clean up all that cosmo/preservative :?: . And cleaning up the stock I dont mind all the dings and dents I just want to get all the grease out of the wood.
Thank you
Ezra

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well, it depends on who you talk to.

Collector "purists" will advise cleaning the stock with mineral spirits or acetone. Maybe even something like Murphy's Oil Soap. Follw with a few coats of blo. That works, but it does not remove the decades old dirt and crap in the wood.

I prefer to get all the old oil, dirt and crap off the wood & refinish it completely. You need to get down to the wood and start over if you really want it to look nice.

Here's what I do:

1. Strip the wood - apply easy-off oven cleaner & let sit for 3-5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with hot water, scrubbing with a scotch brite pad. You will hear collectors scream bloody murder about ruining/damaging the stock with this method, but I have never had a problem with it.

2. Steam any dents - Wet the dented area, place a damp cloth over it & then steam with an iron to raise the wood. Repeat until the dents stop raising.

3. Sand to taste. If there are no dents/dings/gouges you can go to 600 grit & up, if ther stock has dents/ding/gouges that you couldn't remove it's probably best to stick with 220 grit. The finer you go, the more the problems will stand out. Remember that if you want to see the real grain and color of the wood you have to sand the old wood away to expose it. Just don't get carried away doing it...

4. Buff the stock down with 0000 steel wool as a final smoothing step. I generally use moderate to strong pressure on the wood while buffing.

5. Apply the finish of your choice. Repeat applications until you are satisfied. I don't like a shiny finish on a Garand, so I use watco danish oil or blo. watco danish oil gives the same appearance as blo but dries much faster.

Of course, you need to protect any stamps or cartouches on the wood. Use tape to mask them off while sanding or buffing.

The end result can look like this:

click the pic for a higher resolution image...

This was a really pretty piece of walnut though, YMMV.

Good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Quagmire when you do the easy off cleaner on the stock do I spray it in the inner areas where the reciever goes :?: or just on the outside areas only. Should I tape up all the stampings before spraying the cleaner or just before sanding :?: Would cleaning help in making a tighter lock up when I close the trigger guard :?: Also what finish would you recommend for birch :?:
thank's
Ezra

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I spray the stock inside & out.

If you cover the stampings during stripping then you'll end up with the old finish there & clean wood everywhere else, so I wouldn't cover them until I was ready to steam/sand/buff. Is this a WWII stamped stock? The E-O shouldn't hurt the stampings, but I would be really careful if the stock is "collectable"

As an alternative, I tried some Purple Power cleaner from Autozone on a stock the other day & was truly impressed with the grease, dirt & grime it got out of the stock. Mixed up a solution with PP & hot water in a bucket & then just washed the stock in the bucket. This was after stripping with E-O and the water still turned black. 8O

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
I've used the above method, too. Suggest doing it OUTSIDE, where you may rinse the EO away in safety, or, at least use the bathtub.

Also, don't forget your rubbers...Easy Off can be really tough on th' hands, especially if you have a cut.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the stock is on my greek M1 that I got from CMP it has a SA stamping on the side of the butt stock and three stampings that I can barely see on the bottom.
Also I'd like to know after cleaning up the stock the easy off method does this help the reciever/trigger assy lockup :?: Right now there is no resistance when I close the trigger guard :(

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hot water on the top of the stock & the trigger group area while rinsing off the E-O in the bathtub may help, you might also try steaming those areas to raise the wood (that hasn't worked for me though).

What has worked to increase the trigger group lock down is running the stock through the diswasher one or two times. 8O 8O 8O I got the idea from Swampy over on BR & it works pretty well to raise dents, clean the wood, etc... You can lose stampings or cartouches doing this if they are lightly stamped though.

I've got one Garand stock that I've had to use shims on between the stock & floorplate to get a decent lock down. Will end up bedding the trigger group area on that stock.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Quagmire, I finally had some time to work on my stock and I used the easy off...got lemon scent..smelled good when cleaning :lol: :roll: .My question now is do I need to stain it again or just rub in the blo.I have seen some military stock stain from chestnut ridge. I steamed some of the dents out best I could and left some for character....

Thank you
Ezra

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.