M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having just completed my second CMP build, I thought I'd share the results. I have owned a SAI M1A loaded for a number of years and really appreciate the M14 weapon system, so when the CMP made the kits available I jumped in by buying two kits and an extra three stocks, in case the stocks sent with the kits were not up to par. When my order arrived I was pleased to have received a nice TRW kit and a pretty nice Winchester kit. The only gripe I had was the Winchester op-rod had a bit of a worn tab. It works and I'll probably never have to replace it but it wasn't pristine like the TRW. I did end up with a heavy WW stock that was badly cracked at the rear of the receiver well but CMP replaced that one quickly, with no hassle.

The picture attached shows the two builds. The top rifle is the Winchester built on a Fulton receiver with a Fulton bolt and a used, SAK USGI barrel.

The bottom is the TRW built on a 7.62mm forged receiver, TRW bolt and a Jon Wolfe Medium contour stainless barrel.

Both rifles function perfectly and I hope to be able to provide a range report on how accurate they shoot soon but early test firing is showing some very good potential.

Time to let the wallet heal and look forward to some spring shooting... GI6

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Might fine looking sticks you got there Bud ! TRW and slotted handguards just go very well together huh ? I really like the wood on it too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rip,

Thanks ! Yes the slotted handguards on the TRW seemed to be the right thing to do. Still contemplating cerakoting the stainless barrel to make it look even better.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Excellent builds. The woodwork you have done is great. Looking forward to range reports.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good stuff TripleT! Congratulations on building a fine set of rifles there. Let us know how the shoot. Todd

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all !

I have benefited from the storehouse of knowledge here and wanted to share the results.

We all are sick to see the demil of these great rifles and I am glad to be able to do my part in resurrecting a couple of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
Before you go the cerakote, try bead blasting it. It will turna nice haze gray. Food for thought?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts