M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Here is my buddy, Nugyen Van Knee. He took over my gunboat when we pulled Qua Viet down and went south in 1970.

I've known a lot of people in my day, but he was one of the best. He once told me that he just wanted some peace to raise his family and grow old, but that he would stay in Northern I Corps and fight until all the communists were gone from his country.

I recieved word in 1973 that he was on one of the three gunboats that got under way to stop the NVA from crossing the Hieu Giang river near **** Ha and none of the boats made it back to the base.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. In '73 I ran into a buddy that told me about a year before, when the NVA tried to take the bridge over Highway #1 at Dong Ha, they sent the Vietnamese Riverine Division I helped train. H said that they sent Knee and the troops to support the bridge defense, but he heard they didn't make it back. A 36' gunboat just can't stack up to well against Dash-Ks, RPG-9 and Russian tanks.

I always hoped to see him again. He was one of the good ones. Marvin the Arvin wasn't too keen on fighting, but the Vietnamese Riverine sailors didn't mind popping a few caps and Knee was one of the best of those.

By the way, this is one ex-squid who doesn't have anything but good stuff to say about grunt Marines. Felt kind of proud when they would NDP near the river so we could cover them with our IBGBs (Itty-Bitty-Green-Boats).

After the 3rd Division went back to the "Rock", I had some buddies in Marine CAC companys that we would give part of our beer ration to when we got an S&P pack and new rations. Good people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.