M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my friends m14 in the ghan. Went through WTC in Fort Sill, OK with him. Great friend and soldier. He claims to have made a shot at 1500 meters with it. I call BULL, but he swears up and down he did. More or less heres how the story went. He scoped a guy shooting at another platoon, he said to his buddy I bet I can shoot him from here, buddy said I bet 5 bucks. Pulled the trigger and he was gone. they looked in the area after the firefight and saw blood but no body. He swears 1500 meters but thats a pretty far shot, I saw him try to shoot a target at 300 in training, not even close to it. LOL... GI6

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I say bull sh!t to. But it is his story. Never hurts to have fun as long as you don't beleive it yourself! GI7

·
Registered
966 Posts
Never underestime the luck factor!

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Grunts are like fishers, never under estimate their ability to tell you how big the one that got away was. DI5

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I also call bull. The longest kill shot with a 7.62 was 1312 yards. Army Sniper, First Sargeant James Gilliland. Ramadi Iraq. He even said it was a lucky shot and didn't think he would make a hit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJ8WdoDWF8[/ame]

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Maybe he got lucky, maybe one the other guys tagged the dude. I remember wtc. We did our inprocessing at ft sill but did our "training" down in new mexico around the wsmr area. Don't recall learning anything new other than how much it sucked running at that elevation...

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is my friends m14 in the ghan. Went through WTC in Fort Sill, OK with him. Great friend and soldier. He claims to have made a shot at 1500 meters with it. I call BULL, but he swears up and down he did. More or less heres how the story went. He scoped a guy shooting at another platoon, he said to his buddy I bet I can shoot him from here, buddy said I bet 5 bucks. Pulled the trigger and he was gone. they looked in the area after the firefight and saw blood but no body. He swears 1500 meters but thats a pretty far shot, I saw him try to shoot a target at 300 in training, not even close to it. LOL... GI6
Yeah that's a little much, WTC though, FT Sill April-June 09, when were you there?

James

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's a little much, WTC though, FT Sill April-June 09, when were you there?

James
I was there from Mar-Apr 09. Did you have a short Drill Sgt?? he was maybe 5'3 white guy, blonde hair, cant remember if he was a Sgt or a SSG, i do remember he was just an a-hole for no reason, even after the training.

I'm thinking he either just ran off or one guy from the other platoon tagged him right when he pulled the trigger and he thinks it was him that did it. LOL... but hearing him tell the story you would swear no other rifle was shooting besides his.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
When you're 8000 miles from home fightin for the USofA, you get to add a few yards to the "I shot the Jawa" stories. It's perfectly ok by me. 15 yards or 1500, I say good shot, good service.GI2

·
Registered
607 Posts
When you're 8000 miles from home fightin for the USofA, you get to add a few yards to the "I shot the Jawa" stories.
Deep Breath in.......
LOL1LOL1LOL1LOL1LOL1
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I shot the Jawa... AHHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You good Sir, are getting quoted and spread throughout my Combat Arms buddys at HQ!

Hahaha.. ::Tear::

·
Registered
468 Posts
So far the longest official with an EBR is 1040 meters. This works out to 1137 yards. This is pushing the envelope on M118LR, but hey **** happens. Shooting downhill on a calm day with one hell of a hold over.ARMY1

·
Registered
504 Posts
So far the longest official with an EBR is 1040 meters. This works out to 1137 yards. This is pushing the envelope on M118LR, but hey $hit happens. Shooting downhill on a calm day with one hell of a hold over.ARMY1
Any more details to this shot? First round hit or did it take adjustments and bracketing? That is awfully impressive with a M14

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Always choose lucky over good GI2

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wasn't my DS but always had his Oakley's on? I was 2nd plt "Death Dealers" I'm pretty sure he was 1st, don't remember they're name though, he was a SGT i think, and yeah he was a dick, except for CQ he brought his 360 and let us play some wrestling game : )

I was there from Mar-Apr 09. Did you have a short Drill Sgt?? he was maybe 5'3 white guy, blonde hair, cant remember if he was a Sgt or a SSG, i do remember he was just an a-hole for no reason, even after the training.

I'm thinking he either just ran off or one guy from the other platoon tagged him right when he pulled the trigger and he thinks it was him that did it. LOL... but hearing him tell the story you would swear no other rifle was shooting besides his.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Did he do a pace count, GPS or map interpretation to get that distance to the blood trail? My pace count is 51 paces per 100 yards. Since it's an even 1500 is suspect. Maybe 1463 yards or something like that would be more convincing. Not saying your buddy didn't do it, he probably did wing the guy, but a few more details might make a believer out of me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any more details to this shot? First round hit or did it take adjustments and bracketing? That is awfully impressive with a M14
The details he told me, he scoped a guy shooting an AK during a gun battle. made a bet with his buddy for 5 bucks that he can hit him. said his hold over was was past the last mil dot, almost couldnt see his head in the scope. im sure he used kentucky windage. lol... pulled the trigger went to reacquire and saw he wasnt there anymore. after the gun fight him and his squad go to see if anything was there. found a bunch of casings and a blood droppings. the guy with the AK wasnt the only one there shooting so it could be somebody elses blood. not sure how he measured the distance, but he did say "estimated" so im guessing its from eyeballing. 1500 is pretty far for the .308.... if by chance he did hit him im going to say it was MAYBE at most the 1000meter mark.
i saw him shoot at a training range and he couldnt hit a target at 300meters with iron sights, but maybe the SDM school taught him some things... LOL... still funny to call him out on it and keep asking him about the shot.

It was the Sgt that always wore oakleys. he was a real a-hole. gave us crap because we were wearing blackhawk boots and he was saying that it wasnt authorized. we asked SFC Moorehouse and SFC said "oh that guy, dont worry about him he doesnt know what he's talking about, if you have anymore trouble just tell him I said to come talk to me" hated the weather in FT. Sill though. lol..

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
BS, and if you trained at Fort Ill isnt that an Artilery school? Why would he be carying a DMR weapon?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts

James
Oct-nov 06. Didn't have a ds except for inprocessing at ft silly. Was there for all the garrison stuff; id, medical, clothing issue and what not. When that was done we loaded up on busses and went to new mexico. our instructors were either guard or reserves can't remember these days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts