M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my pride and joy. An M1918a3 BAR produced by Ohio Ordnance Works. It's made in the same vain as the SAI M1a in that it uses as many USGI parts as possible, but that is where the similarities between the two end. The receiver is a big piece of honking forged goodness. The inside of the receiver is a smooth and as beautiful to look at as the outside. No random machine marks or areas where someone tried to fix a mistake (one of the reason why it takes a year to receive one).

The wood is the epitome of hand made brilliance and attention to detail, my point and shoot camera and amateur shooting picture taking skills do not do it justice.

The guys at OOW will customize the weapon too, mine has a S/N that is my MOS and an Eagle Globe and Anchor machined into its top cover.

As a Marine I’ve been told countless times that the M249 and M240 bolt were copied from the BAR. Upon disassembly and assembly of my BAR I can say that statement is true. Taking apart the BAR for the first time was like seeing an old friend, the bolts between the new S-A-W weapons and the BAR are indeed the same.

Ive only fired the BAR once due to the lack of close long range shooting ranges and the bitter East coast weather. But boy does she shoot, so smooth. It reminds me of the way that the M1/M14 fire only smoother and with a little more kick (the buffer and bolt are huge).

Well that’s it for now, sorry if a jumped around topics but I wanted to provide as many details and answer to questions that some might have. Feel free to ask more, and Ill provide more pics if needed.

The stock is perfect, gorgeous color, looks off do to my garbage camera skills

Again my camera skills fail me, here is a blury pic of the EGA on the top cover, the EGA is sharp and crisp

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It's a beauty good luck with her.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
sweet

Thanks it's awesome....

I want one..

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Thanks for posting, I've been thinking of buying one of those for years now, maybe 2011 will be the year!

·
Registered
80 Posts
What is not to love about the BAR? Yours looks awesome and I bet when you take it out at the range it raises some eyebrows. I would love to fire that thing! Sweet, sweet rifle.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here's what I think !

Bet that that BAR can get downright hungry for ammo at the range , good looking weapon you got there ! CAMOHELMET

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Sir, I think you have reached the pinnacle of semi auto collecting. Very well done, Congrats.DI5

Now we all feel like miserable kids with baby toys and Chrismas aint gonna change things. Thanks....GI2

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words gents. NO, worries about NJ, Im stationed in a gun friendly state. Yes, she is a pig when it comes to military surplus 30-06. The Garands have to share. I do consider the BAR as the cornerstone of my Military Semi Auto wood and steel guns. Now saving for a BM-59 Class III

·
Registered
136 Posts
if you are or were an 0331, especially, i have a question.

my friend's BAR is a beauty, but the pistol grip feels uncomfortable to fire. i was an 0311, but by virtue of my unit spent a lot of time with 240's, also (Small Craft Company, now disbanded)

in SOI we were taught to hold the 249 on the move, in the "assault" position. they taught us to hold the buttstock of the rifle in the armpit and lock it in to fire on the move. it was easier to hold up than on the shoulder and since it was closer to your eye, more accurate to point shoot than from the hip.

the BAR was originally designed in WWI, to be carried while advancing on enemy trenches. do you think the weird pistol grip design is to use in the "assault" position as i described?

standard pistol grips feel weird in the "assault" position, as your hand is too vertical. the BAR pistol grip feels right in this position, but no other!

what's you .02?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow!

That is the single sweetest semi-automatic rifle I think I have ever seen! Of course being the history buff that I am, I have a huge mushy spot for the BAR! One day I will obtain my own copy for sure! In the meantime I will simply drool over the pics of yours & if anyone else posts one! DI2
One question I had was about ammunition. I know with some of the unmodified Garands the gas system is tuned specifically for the mil-surplus style ammo, & using some commercial ammo can be bad for the rifle. Is that the same with the BAR? Or does she feed & function on the commercial stuff too?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
You've certainly got a piece of American History there. It is a delightful looking weapon, congrats.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you are or were an 0331, especially, i have a question.

my friend's BAR is a beauty, but the pistol grip feels uncomfortable to fire. i was an 0311, but by virtue of my unit spent a lot of time with 240's, also (Small Craft Company, now disbanded)

in SOI we were taught to hold the 249 on the move, in the "assault" position. they taught us to hold the buttstock of the rifle in the armpit and lock it in to fire on the move. it was easier to hold up than on the shoulder and since it was closer to your eye, more accurate to point shoot than from the hip.

the BAR was originally designed in WWI, to be carried while advancing on enemy trenches. do you think the weird pistol grip design is to use in the "assault" position as i described?

standard pistol grips feel weird in the "assault" position, as your hand is too vertical. the BAR pistol grip feels right in this position, but no other!

what's you .02?
Ive heard your comment before about the BAR from other people, maybe it has to do with the size of an individuals hands because the BAR's But Stock feels great whether in the alert to dirt position or in the shoulder standing or in the prone.

We were taught to hold the M249 by its pistol grip, in the alert or assault position. Now the 240 we were taught to hold the same way.

One question I had was about ammunition. I know with some of the unmodified Garands the gas system is tuned specifically for the mil-surplus style ammo, & using some commercial ammo can be bad for the rifle. Is that the same with the BAR? Or does she feed & function on the commercial stuff too?
The BAR has an adjustable gas system like the M240 and M249. There are three settings that let more or less gas in the gas system. When I use surplus I utilize the smallest setting and with commercial I use the biggest setting.

The BAR is built like a tank to withstand 30-06 full auto fire so its receiver and associated parts are alot beefier when compared to the M1. Also, the M1's op-rod reciprocates with the bolt, the BAR's does not. Usually the use of high powered commercial ammo in a M1 will result in a bent op-rod. The sturdy design of the receiver, adjustable gas regulator, and non-reciprocating op-rod means the likely hood of damage to the BAR due to commercial ammo is slim.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ive heard your comment before about the BAR from other people, maybe it has to do with the size of an individuals hands because the BAR's But Stock feels great whether in the alert to dirt position or in the shoulder standing or in the prone.

We were taught to hold the M249 by its pistol grip, in the alert or assault position. Now the 240 we were taught to hold the same way.
yes maybe it is my small hands GI2

i guess what i am really referring to is the grip angle. the BAR grip kinks my wrist in normal firing positions; the vertical grip on the 249 and 240 put my grip at a bad angle and kinked it in the assault position

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
That weapon is BEAUTIFUL...........

I too have always loved the BAR, even though I have never fondled, let alone fire one.
I checked out the Ohio Ordnance Works website after drooling over your pics. Its legal in Kali, just shipped with a 10 rd.mag!!
The only question now is how to finance it....GI3

·
Registered
38 Posts
Second tour was with the ARVN 21st DIV, equiped with M-1s, M1919's, and BAR's. I've seen 125# Vietnamese Infantrymen fighting over who would get to carry the BAR! The BAR ALWAYS fired. We were in IV Corps and had some opportunities for some long shots. If you could see it, you could hit it with the BAR. LOVE THEM!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I drooled over the oow site for years, i wanted the blued version with the wwi gas regulator but they wanted 4999!!!! Too rich for me. I placed my name on the list when i came back from my last deployment anx received it the end of sept.

They really dont make them like they use too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts