M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M1A finally arrived today. Sent it back to SA in Nov. And they replaced it with a lot better looking rifle. The reciever is beautiful. The bolt is TRW, The barrel is SAK, front sight is NM .062, The rear is BME in yards just like my M1 Garand. The gas cyl. looks like forged. The flash hider is reamed large like the match type. The trigger groupe is SA Inc. , but has m14 rear sear. I imediatly replaced the group with a new SA group that I picked up at a gun show a few days ago. The stock is perfect. Seems like a lot of good parts for a standard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: what do you think? I took it out in the snow that is coming down very hard here in N.C. while ago and shot it 12 times at about 30 yds. looks like this one is going to be a shooter.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Sounds like a definite winner there ...

Altho it is a bit of an inconvenience to have to send one back or wait a bit for something it is outcomes such as this when returned or received that make the S/A name stand out amongst the crowd.

Guess thats what they mean when they say ... "All good things come to those who wait"

Enjoy your shooter ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
406 Posts
Glad for you SS100, that sounds like a happy rifleman. I've thought about you getting your rifle back all day today and I was hoping you would be happy. Please post some pics of the rifle as soon as possible. SAK barrel to boot. WOW...Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have my brother take some photos as soon as this snow is gone and send them to DIG if he don't mind and let him post them for me. I not sure I know how. If the snow end by noon tomorrow I'm going to shoot it some more. I've been looking it over all evening. The only problem i've had so far is getting a patch down the barrel from the muzzle , it seem to catch on a sharp edge or something. Tomorrow I will push the rod through and wrap the patch on and try to pull it through from the chamber end. By the way, do all new standard M1A's come with match flash hider or did they make a mistake?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just curious, what was wrong with the receiver? I am sending my M1A model 9222 back next week. The entire rear heal of the receiver sits about 1/8th inch above the Boyds walnut stock. When I put a USGI stock on it, the gap is WORSE. :cry:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snayper, I'm not sure what was wrong with the reciever but I think the front of it must of been machined at an angle to the center line. As I stated earlier it shot 16" to the right at 100 yds. You could look at the rifle from above and see that the barrel progressed to the right of the stock toward the front like the barrel and reciever made a mild (L) shape. I had a lot of bad feelings about SA for a while but after the way they handled the problem and seeing how easy they are to talk to and their desire to please I would buy another one from them in a minute. If I were to buy one right now I would get it at a gun show where I could look at it and make sure it had a chrome GI barrel as they are running out of them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Forgot to add that mine also shoots about 8 to 10 inches to the right at 100 yards. The front sight was all the way to the right, so after centering it I had to move the rear sight to the left of center just to get a decent centered group. Combined with the receiver sitting so high, I am not happy with this rifle considering what I paid for it. So back it goes under warranty on Monday.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snayper, All you need to do is call SA and they will give you a return no.# , UPS it to them and they will do every thing they can to make it right. I would caution you about one thing, if you want a chrome lined barrel you had better tell them or they might send it back
with a plain carbon barrel. As I said before they are running out of GI barrels. Sounds like you have the same kind of problem I had. I have heard others talk about having a gap between the heel of the reciever
and stock, i don't know if it is the stock or reciever or both others probably know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
SS100,

It is the way the receiver is made according to other experienced persons in the business. I will say that on all other brands I have seen, especially my LRB receivers, the heels fit flush with maybe a thousandth or two of daylight between the actual end of the heel to the bolt stop.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snayper
I looked at mine this evening and I can hold it up to the light and can't even see a crack between the stock and the heel. My Garand is tight also. I have seen M1's from time to time that show a little gap.
Tell them all your problems and I believe they will fix it. Hope it doesn't take long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.