M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, thx to Cross Armory, my home-built AR-10 is no longer an assault weapon according to NJ state law. Woot! $20 for a permanent mag catch and I am free to keep my rifle and it’s evil attachments.

The 10-rnd mag was brand new and required some pushing to get the mag-catch to grab. But it’s seriously a product that works if you ever find yourself forced into a move to NJ...

I used a small bit of JB Weld on the thread to ensure she’s “permanent”. When we move again, nothing a small drill can’t fix. The plug on the other side is essentially all you need, the JB-Weld was my extra security.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's nothing to jump and shout about...
Lol when it’s a $20 part & 5-min install VS neutering my entire collection of evil weapons.... I’m shouting yippee!

Now to figure out the few M1As that are non-compliant prior to my move.

·
Forum Jester
8,003 Posts
why would anybody that had half a brain move to nj?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to load one round at a time, or do strippers and spoons exist for the 308 AR magazine?
You pop the rear pin and load with the upper folded forward. I’m not too caught up in shooting it at this point, just keeping it legal. I tend to shoot bolt guns a lot more

·
Forum Jester
8,003 Posts
where you goin to be at? you gonna be close enough to pennsylvania and commute to nj?

Reactions: russmerle

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where you goin to be at? you gonna be close enough to pennsylvania and commute to nj?
Polack, I definitely wanted to do that. But the base life is probably best for the family right now. Wife and daughter have friends in base housing. Also much more to do in the community/school for the kids. It’s one thing my wife regretted here, not being on base where she had much more to do.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Polack, I definitely wanted to do that. But the base life is probably best for the family right now. Wife and daughter have friends in base housing. Also much more to do in the community/school for the kids. It’s one thing my wife regretted here, not being on base where she had much more to do.
Russmerle,

Your efforts are the classic examples of "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome" in a "bad" situation. Congrats, Sir.

Regards,
D1

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the rifle stays on base, you would have been fine the way it was. Federal land.

As for complying, I would have just tossed the brake or tacked it in place.
Kurt, I seriously got way to excited to “buck the man” and made the change. Then looked at my picture and realized... I could have also just replaced the grip with some featureless horizontal grips I bought. Smdh 🤦‍♂️

but for base laws, I think they changed. Fort Dix range states they have to be NJ compliant.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Welcome to California....... Oops that's right Maglocked AR's are now illegal in California and will be illegal soon in a state near you.....

Just wait until you have to put fins on your pistol grip.......Lol
"This one sucks.... This one sucks less... Oh geeze, who thought that was a good idea?.... I I can probably put a file to that and smooth it out with a Dremel...."

If you just wanted to keep them, could you just break them down so they're not technically functional, i.e., field strip them into chunks for storage?

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
"This one sucks.... This one sucks less... Oh geeze, who thought that was a good idea?.... I I can probably put a file to that and smooth it out with a Dremel...."

If you just wanted to keep them, could you just break them down so they're not technically functional, i.e., field strip them into chunks for storage?
They could still charge you with "intent to assemble" a big bad scary meany pants gun...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yea NJ is pretty bogus for sure. Part of the draw to the m1a in the traditional stock for me is the "featureless" qualities. I'm sure Murphy is looking to change that but I digress.

I assume you kept the collapsible stock and non pinned muzzle in exchange for a fixed mag at least?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts