M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has landed at my dealers. I had a chance to fondle it today, a recent snag from a member here. Win barrel about new, Win op rod, Win bolt. TG is TRW, but I have a Win TG in another rifle that I plan to swap out for. Then all major parts will be Winchester.
Stock is a commercial fattie, fits well but I am on the lookout for a WW stock, not a Big Red though, but std GI walnut.

I wont have it in hand for a couple weeks though due to the new laws here. And yes seagiant I did get papered in the new system to get it.DISHOUT At this point I no longer care about such BS. I wanted the rifle, I had already acquired a safety cert, so whatever, and apparently it goes into the same data base as all handgun purchases now and both require the 10 day wait even with CC.
I figure being a member in good standing of the "2-3 guns a month club", they pretty much know where I live if it comes to that. Besides in these troubling times, not having several good semi's is not an option. Not that that was a problem however... The wait begins.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Hello,
That was/is a very nice deal you got on that rifle.
I was eyeing it also. For, I have the perfect 66118 trigger assym. to replace the trw one with.
But, unlike you. At this point in time, I would choose; not to buy any firearms in Ca. for various reasons.... Too much BS...
Yet, there are some damned good deals showing up in the PX and BX though....Some being so so very tempting, like the one you bought. Again, Good Score Gunner.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,111 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle, sounds great! Must post up the mandatory pics when you get her Sir!
m14brian

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a WW stock delivered yesterday. Nice walnut, both wood and metal refinished and look good. Some figure in the stock. Has the WW under the butt plate and a small W in the stock recess under the receiver. Has the remnants of a stenciled 68 at top of pistol grip. Will have the rifle for this stock this week after the looooong 10 day state wait.
IMG_5609.JPG
IMG_5601.JPG
IMG_5607.JPG
IMG_5599.JPG

·
Super Moderator
3,367 Posts
Interesting stock - I have not seen many WW-11010263 stamped stocks in Walnut! Most are Birch variety and they also had pin pinch front ferrules.

Next time you have it out can you take a pic straight on of the front Ferrule so we can see how much wood is under the front Ferrule (if it's not to much hassle).

That stock is a nice find!

M1Army

·
Super Moderator
3,367 Posts
Thanks for the pic - again very interesting stock.

The pic below shows two Orginal Springfield Armory Heavy Walnut stocks stamped S.A. Under the butt plate. The one in the middle is a Walnut that I call a "tweener" that has a crimped front Ferrule and no markings (these are often sold as Walnut Big Reds but are not nearly as beefy). The Big Red's marked either WW-11010263 or the H. Sachs & Sons version marked ^S - 11010263 are generally the same size of the Orginal Springfield Armory Heavy Walnut stocks shown below on the left and right. Like I said I have not seen a lot of Walnut stocks stamped WW-11010263 with a crimped front Ferrule. The stock should be a nice match for your barreled receiver.

M1Army

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, this stock is not a big red for sure by size anyway. Standard GI dimensions I think. Its what I was looking for, I have other heavier stocks and they are fine and often house the rifle more solidly, I wanted a nice walnut GI W-W for this rifle. I will post up when I get the dang thing home.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the rifle home today and had a few minutes to mess around with it. The commercial fatboy stock it came in has nice wood and feels good in the hands. As above I have a WW stock for it and it fits snug inside of it as well. Rifle is all Win major parts but the trigger group, it was TRW, but another rifle I have has a Win group and it swapped right out and works perfect, so now all major parts are Win. OM mags easily go in and out with no issues. Hope to get it to the range in the next several days. Will post a pic or two tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got this to the range today and had a pretty good first outing with it. Unfortunately the light was very bad with both bright sun and shade showing on the targets at the same time, makes it very hard to know where to put the front sight!
I also found that the front sight was too high and not wanting to crank the rear up 15 clks, I just covered the bull with the blade and hoped for the best, as everything wanted to shoot way low. I did put 4 of 5 rounds of M852 in under an inch but one went astray into a different area code! AE OTM shot pretty well and one handload I had along shows promise. FGMM was all over the place but I blame the shooter and the bad light.
At home I swapped out the front sight from a scope rifle that is lower and that should help on the next go around, hope the light is better. Rifle ran perfect though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts