M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be honest when I say that the French MAS 49/56 is one of the best military semi auto's I've had the pleasure to own.

It ranks right up there with the M14.

I got one in great shape chambered for the 7.5 French caliber and got some FNM ammo.
Nice combo. It shot really tight groups (1 1/2 to 2") 100yds for my initial test.
Still want to get out to 200 to 400m with it.

Low felt recoil and superb reliability.

Only issue was the heavy firing pin that can cause slam fires with commercial ammo.
(Slam fires actually don't cause any damage to the 49/56)

I found a guy selling lightened firing pins with built in return springs and that solved any problems. Cost, about $30. shipped.

I do not recommend the .308 conversions for a lot of reasons. Too many issues with that higher pressure round.

But the 49/56 is a jewel.
Don't ever walk away from one if the price is rerasonasble

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition, any pics of it and what year is yours? Mine is from 1962 with no refurb date on it. I like how they shoot also and I reload for it, very reliable. If given the choice, I always say I'd pick it up over a Garand if both were on a table.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Here are some pictures of mine! These are very nice shooting rifles in the original 7.5 French! I have had this one for about 20 years!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a 49/56 in 7.5 French as well. In my view it's shorter sight radius, thick front sight and long heavy trigger pull put it's rank well below the M-14.

Does anyone know how to adjust the rear sight for windage? Mine shoots about a minute and a half to the left.

Additionally what tool could be used to adjust the elevation of the front sight? It appears that it would adjust in a fashion similar to an AR-15 but the needed tool would have to have a longer span.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends what criteria you are using to judge a rifle.

The 49/56 is MUCH simpler to field strip and more rugged overall than my M1A.

It's really built like a tank and as said before, slam fires don't even bother a 49/56.

Although it only has 10 round mags compared to an M1a, they are so much easier and faster to change and the mags are as tough as the gun itself.

One really BIG difference is how much less a 49/56 costs.

You could get 2 with all accessories for the cost of a basic M1A.

They are both good weapons, each has it's plusses and minuses.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
A lot of them were refurbished with new wood and parkerizing when they were being phased out in the early 1980's. Mine was stone mint.

The first time I took one apart I realized where Stoner got the idea for the M16. RNGR2

Slam fires don't hurt a rifle, they hurt whoever is standing in front of it. RNGR1

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right about the cost Puccini. I could buy four 49/56s for the cost of one M1A. Finding 49/56s on the other hand is not as easy as find an M1A.

The secret is patience.

I always watch the local sales sites and keep talking with local shooters. Usually I will be talking with some military rifle fan at my local range and he will say that he has one and hasn't shot it much. That when the haggling starts.

Just avoid the pirates dens, you know, the shows and private shops.

Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Not the best pic , but these are my three. That 49/56 is built like a tank, I'll agree. That "bolt block" is a heavy piece of steel, I roll my reloads to the high end according to my LEE book. Anything less just does not cycle well. I have not had any trouble with slam fire either.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Here Is a picture of my French 7.5 rifles before I broke up the collection

on top is a 36/51, then two pre war 36's, a MAS44, and the 49/56 that I kept and brought to Texas!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Graf brass
Powder----IMR4895 36 gr. (max on Lee chart)
Bullet----150gr. FMJ BT
Primer----CCI
(Note) 2.943 OAL
(Note) Use the 7.62x54R Crimp Die, must crimp for
Use in MAS 49/56

Hey Glashaus, maybe you can use this recipe, maybe not. It's the load I use for my rifle and works well in it. Using this load at the range, I told my daughter to put six at center mass and four in the head. For her the distance was 100 yards, and she did it. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts