M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I did this a year or two ago. A couple people have asked me for photos, and I finally had a moment to snap some photos and (I hope) figure out how to post them.

It's a Bassett Picattiny mount ($150ish) with a 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch ($220ish) and Warne rings ($30ish).

The scope lives in a cheap (<$10) pistol rug.

Of course it bolts right to the rifle:

Here are some close-ups:

No disrespect intended to anyone who spent more, but this fulfills my needs so well (occasionally shooting at 300yds) that I can't imagine why I would have spent more.

The 2x magnification setting is low enough that the scope isn't disorienting at across-the-yard ranges, and the 8x magnification is enough to clearly see targets at 300yds (300yds divided by 8 is less than 40yds).

The mount and scope bell sit just barely high enough that I could still use the iron sights with the scope mounted (though I never have).

YMMV,

Bimmer

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What cheek piece is that?
Will it work for a lefty?
The Blackhawk cheekrest was cheap (<$20), but I really, really like it. It's a bit of a PITA to lace it up, but once it's on, it doesn't wiggle, and it didn't require any modifications to my stock.

I don't know why any of this would NOT work for a lefty... the cheekrest is the same on both sides.

So, I guess with the pistol rug and the cheekrest this is really a $450 set-up...

One regret: When I did this a couple years ago Bassett didn't do a "low" picatinny rail, and I thought I really wanted to be able to use the iron sights with the scope mounted, so I bought the Bassett high rail. If I were to do it now, I would get the "low" rail (and who knows, I still might... ).

Bimmer

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I've got about the same set up, high mount Bassett, luppy rings and a Walmart Center point scope. Same as you, this seems to do it for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the same setup, same mount, cheek piece, and wally world scope rotated 90 ccw.

I ran to see if someone had stolen my weapon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I was really wondering how this scope setup would look like on my scout before I went ahead and purchased it. Looks great! Like you mentioned, ill probably be purchasing the low picatinny mount. In order to see how it would look on my scout, i did a quick photoshop. (disregard quality, literally 5 minute job).

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a quick photoshop.
Whoa — doubletake — who cut down my barrel?!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

FWIW, I don't know what scopes Walmart sells for $200ish, but I was blown away that I could get a top-of-the-line Nikon (Monarch) for barely $200.

Sure, it's not a Swarovski or S&B, but I'm really really impressed with the features, the quality, and the customer service so far.

We'll see how it holds up over the long run, but Nikon offers a lifetime warranty and their customer service was awesome when I asked for new (plain) turret caps.

One final point — for those of us who hesitate to buy things from the PRC — Nikons are made in the Philippines.

Bimmer

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love your setup. I'm going to match a Bassett "low" picatinny to my Redfield Revolution 2x7 and probably copy your check rest and rings.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone looking for a similiar setup id like to point out that on (hopefully im allowed to post this?) swfa they have the 2-7x32 vortex viper BDC on sale for around 150$. All my researching shows that they are about the same on build and quality (monarch vs viper).

Just ordered the viper and the bassett picatinny loy mount. If the viper doesnt work out, i figure i could always mount it on my .22 ;). 150$ isnt a huge loss.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
That same place also has burris ff2 tactical 2-7's on clearance as well. Made in Philippines like the vipers, nikons. Darn good glass, bdc ret, covered target knobs. Have one on my norinco and its fantastic. Using arms 18 mount, med 1" rings I can get a comfortable face weld that is repeatable, natural. Oh and this set up cost me less than $300....

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the viper doesnt work out, i figure i could always mount it on my .22 ;).
Not to veer my own thread off topic, but the .22 guys over at rimfirecentral like the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 "shotgunner" scope because the paralax is set at only 75yds...

I put one on my Marlin 25, and it works well – it's not as nice as the Monarch but it's more than adequate for a $50 rifle shooting 50-75yds.

Bimmer

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That same place also has burris ff2 tactical 2-7's on clearance as well.
I'm glad this works for you, but I heard enough horror stories here about Burris QC and CS that I wouldn't even consider a Burris...

Anyway, I think the point that we're all making is that one can easily set up a decent quality scope/mount/rings for less than the price of 1,000 rounds of milsurp ammo...

Bimmer

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Anyway, I think the point that we're all making is that one can easily set up a decent quality scope/mount/rings for less than the price of 1,000 rounds of milsurp ammo...

Bimmer[/QUOTE]

Very true for the time being. Before too long we'll be able to put a nightforce and ti sadlak for less than a case of milsurp...

·
Registered
231 Posts
How does it shoot?

Hi all,

I did this a year or two ago. A couple people have asked me for photos, and I finally had a moment to snap some photos and (I hope) figure out how to post them.

It's a Bassett Picattiny mount ($150ish) with a 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch ($220ish) and Warne rings ($30ish).

The scope lives in a cheap (<$10) pistol rug.

Of course it bolts right to the rifle:

Here are some close-ups:

No disrespect intended to anyone who spent more, but this fulfills my needs so well (occasionally shooting at 300yds) that I can't imagine why I would have spent more.

The 2x magnification setting is low enough that the scope isn't disorienting at across-the-yard ranges, and the 8x magnification is enough to clearly see targets at 300yds (300yds divided by 8 is less than 40yds).

The mount and scope bell sit just barely high enough that I could still use the iron sights with the scope mounted (though I never have).

YMMV,

Bimmer

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How does it shoot?
The proof of the pudding IS in the tasting, isn't it?

It shoots about 3moa... I consistently get 5- or 10-shot groups of 2-1/2 to 3" at 100yds, 5 or 6" at 200yds, and 10" at 300yds.

I know that that's not fabulous, but that's shooting mid-1980s vintage Brit surplus ammo, and my rifle is a bone stock "Loaded."

Anyway, it's been good enough for me, but I have some 168gr Prvi match ammo and some new sandbags to try out this weekend...

Bimmer

·
Registered
136 Posts
Let us know how it goes, I find I can shoot 2moa 10 shot groups with my slightly modded scout and irons, so I want to get some good ammo and really try to squeeze what i can out of it with this scope setup.

Just kidding, 7/10 rounds land in the same spot, 3 of them shoot off to the moon. Gotta figure that out, using radway green however, so maybe some good ammo will sort it out.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to get some good ammo and really try to squeeze what i can out of it with this scope setup...

...using radway green however, so maybe some good ammo will sort it out.
This is my thinking, too. I'm near-sighted, and even with my glasses on I have a hard time picking out bullseyes at 200+ yds. The scope makes it a lot easier to get a consistent sight picture.

As for ammo, I tried some Hornady SST (150gr) last time I was out, but the results were about the same (about 3moa).
Of course, it was also windy and raining, and my shooting form probably leaves something to be desired, too...

Bimmer

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I started the same thought about a month ago. I sold my Savage bolt gun in .30-06 to cut back on calibers. Decided to scope my M14S instead of another bolt gun. Just got my Bassett Picatinny Rail LOW Scope Mount today, mounted a Redfield 4-12X40 on Weaver rings I had, including the Butler Creek covers, tax and shipping I have $430 invested, subtract the $600 I got for the bolt gun. I have $170 in my pocket and a great scope and mount. The rings are medium and the scope clears the rear sight set for 100 yards. I had a Redfield 3-9X50 on the Savage and loved it, I could wear out a 6X6 steel plate at 200 yards till got tired of it.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
That is a sharp setup you've got there zero. If I didnt already have an ARMS mount I'd go with the Basset. Seems like the kittens behind.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just at the range this afternoon...

I don't do this often enough to be really good at it, but the planets aligned at least briefly and at 200 yds I shot one 2-3/4" 5-shot group with Hornady SST. Yes, Virginia, that's less than 1-1/2moa!

Anyway, most of my groups were more like 3-4moa (seemingly regardless of whether I was shooting milsurp RG, PPU match, or Hornady SST). It's still nice to think that if the wind dies down and I do my part, then rifle and scope are capable of decent accuracy.

Bimmer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts