M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before, My move from AZ to the PNW, I scored a SA SS 1911a1 for a song from its prior owner. He knew I played with 1911's and when he said he was moving up and upgrading to a newer pistol, too make him a offer. Not having a lot of dough and not really looking for another project I threw out a ridicules lowball thinking he would move on. Too my surprise he took it, and I was out $300. bucks!

Now I was stuck, when he gave it too me I was disappointed, it was in baggies and a box. The slide had been machined for what looked like a BOMAR, at the time it was wearing a Briley slide racker, with some crazy scope mount thing. At the time it was doing duty as a bowling pin blaster. Other than the slide nothing looked altered that couldn't be replaced or fixed. As they say, it was going too take some work but it had good bones from what I could see. The slide was the big Question? I was hoping that I dodged a bullet........... I didn't, the machine work for the BOMAR's hidden leaf was junk. I suspected it wasn't right but didn't know for sure until I got a BOMAR. That's the reason why I think it was turned into a Bowling Pin Blaster.

Anyway here is the breakdown cost/parts.
SAI SS 1911a1 1992 vintage. $300.00
Kings solid trigger, 20.00
Flat SS screws, 5.00
Rosewood full checkered grips, 10.00
Checkered Mag release, 20.00
SS checkered MSH, 20.00
Colt SS safety, 20.00
Colt spur hammer, 20.00
Colt SS grip safety, 20.00
EGW NM 7267718 bushing 25.00
NM links, 5.00
Swaging tool, 20.00
BOMAR rear sight, 60.00

This gave me a total of $545.00 invested. After digging in my box of junk and take off parts that I was never going too use, they sold in less than 15min so I got back $90.00. I then found a SAI take off slide for $150.00 with extractor, so my out of pocket was $60.00 I snagged it before the deal vaporized into thin air! So now the new grand total is $605.00 invested. With fingers crossed, the hope was that it would fit and not be super sloppy, or so tight, if it would start on at all.

Yesterday the slide came in the mail, I ripped the box open and there it was....... In all its glory........... After a quick blast with some brake cleaner, scrubbing the rails with a brush. I then stripped my slide off and this New too me slide started on. First inch was super snug and stayed snug and stopped about half way, I pulled it off and added a pile of CLP and started over again, each time it would go deeper and deeper, a silent prayer to the Saint of 1911's JMB and I can now say he has smiled on ME. Now it was on all the way with a little sticky spot, no lapping compound used! After rack, rack, rack, clack, clack, clack about 10,000 times the sticky spot is gone. The slide, slide's like two pains of glass with oil in the middle. The feeling is very solid with Zero rock up or down side too side. I believe the saying is hard fit, and its every bit as tight as any Les Baer!

Now for the guy's that are worried that its too tight don't, I feel tight is good on a target pistol, tight is also good on a carry gun as long as it works! My thinking is if the crud can't get in the crud can't foul it up. This is going too be a range toy and will eventually be turned into a CMP/NRA hardball gun when the funds build up again, not a carry pistol. After some rounds down range it will loosen up a little bit anyway so I'm not worried. If it chokes no big deal it still a range toy.

Here is a before and after of the New to me slide on the pistol..

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That is awesome Phil, I was watching it go down on another forum. Love the two tone look. was the replacement slide blued or did you have it refinished?
Nope neither, it came like that. The slide is off a SA Mil-spec so its black as coal. I think that's what my pistol started off as only all SS.

The slide matches the rear of the frame like it was blended, my ejector is a small weeee bit proud but I can live with that. Extractor is smooth and flush fitting as well.

A quick call too SAI this afternoon for my born on date, it was born on 6/26/92 and left as a all SS mil-spec in .45

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice pistol you have there. I like both versions, but the two-tone definitely is a sharp look.

You should put some Novak combat tritium sights on it.
The plan is eventually too use a BOMAR BMCS rear and dove tail the front. Maybe flat top the slide and serrate like the Trophy Match, I don't like the current fiber optic rods they look tasteless and I don't care how good they work. There are a few more things I have on the list of I want's. I would like too get a Kart barrel and have the front strap checkered too match the MSH and bevel the magazine opening. When that time comes, I will just ship it off to SACS and have it all done in one shot. Call it done and bang away........

For now I can go and enjoy it, I've owned it for near 4 years and haven't cranked off one round with it.

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
That's great, Phil! Make sure you give those tight parts a good 1500 rounds to break in. My GSR was super tight and I got jams for a long time until things loosened up. I'm around 7,000 rounds now.

Tony.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Very nice! I've got a project 1911 I'm working on now... this will be the first time I've been into a 1911.

I like the two-tone look... and it's the correct one: stainless on the bottom, blue (or black) on top.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
good work!

i've got a similar bag of parts and an old fed ord stripped frame. still missing a sear/disconnector, sear spring, grip screws/estucheons and maybe a few other misc pieces. i've put several 1911's together and have some of the specialty tools still. like the staking tool for the thumb safety/takedown lever spring tube tool.

i picked up the top half of an sai .45 to go with the fed ord frame..............

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good work!

i've got a similar bag of parts and an old fed ord stripped frame. still missing a sear/disconnector, sear spring, grip screws/estucheons and maybe a few other misc pieces. i've put several 1911's together and have some of the specialty tools still. like the staking tool for the thumb safety/takedown lever spring tube tool.

i picked up the top half of an sai .45 to go with the fed ord frame..............
Where were you when I listed the parts I sold, the only thing not on your list was the grip bushings. I just found a USGI sear spring hiding.

The thumb safety/takedown lever spring tube thing? I just call it a plunger tube............

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
yeah, been awhile and i'm taking some pretty good pian killers for my wrist right now. yeah missed your parts sale!

i built several 1911's in 80' & 90's. knew the folks at detonics and got a bunch of stuff from them and even evaluated some of their .451 mag pistols.

bought a bunch of slides, frames and parts from randall when they went out of business. my edc was a curtis lemay stubby. still have some randall mags laying around.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, been awhile and i'm taking some pretty good pian killers for my wrist right now. yeah missed your parts sale!

i built several 1911's in 80' & 90's. knew the folks at detonics and got a bunch of stuff from them and even evaluated some of their .451 mag pistols.

bought a bunch of slides, frames and parts from randall when they went out of business. my edc was a curtis lemay stubby. still have some randall mags laying around.

I think the Randall's were the first all SS 1911a1 and they were so far the only regular production maker too offer a true left handed 1911a1? I know Randall is no longer around but if you still have some SS mags and there marked Randall they go for a pretty good chunk of change too the collectors.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
could be. i got off most of my randall stuff maybe 7-8 years ago and did make good bucks on them. that curtis le may only flush mount mag was the randall unit. i just saw one of those full sized randall mags yesterday when i was lookimg for some rubber ranger pulls for m14 mags.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Great job Phil, you just can't have too many 1911's!

Nothing like a few hundred rounds of hardball to loosen her up.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This range report will be real short, today was family fun day at the local range kids everywhere. I even got free admission 5 coupons worth 100rds of .22 and a hotdog with chips.

I eat the hotdog/chips drank the water, gave the .22 coupons too a few kids and waited and waited, then I went home.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts