M14 Forum banner

Muzzle Guide for Smith Muzzle Brake

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  JacsLX 
#1 ·
(I can call Dewey monday, but I figured I'd ask here first so I can perhaps place my order sooner).

I need to order a muzzle guide and rod (I only have the otis system so far). I have a standard sized, custom built LRB m14, but seeing I'm in the PRK I had to add the muzzle brake and opted for the one from Smith Enterprise.

The Dewey muzzle guide page says they have one for the CA legal brake, but meant for the .75"dia. Springfield model. The Smith model I have is .86" dia.

Will the Dewey guide still work? Is there another model I can use? Does anyone else use this same brake and which guide do you use? Am I missing something very basic about cleaning an M14 from the muzzle end?

Brownell's carries this guide ( http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=81/Product/M14_M1A_BORE_GUIDE ), that is meant to fit a flash suppressor exactly, but someone had posted here that you had to use a .22 cal rod. And I'm not sure it'd fit the brake as well.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry I have no response for you but I am interested due to the fact that i will soon have a smith break on one of my rifles. I recenly saw a picture here where a guy was using a shotgun shell as a guide. It seemed to fit over the FS perfectly. I'm not sure what the diameter of the primer is but I am sure you could drill it out. Personally I am using a 22cal Dewey rod and not sure who the manufacture of the guide was. It works! One thing that always puzzled me was once the rod is passed the fs it doesn't seem to matter if there is a guide or not. My guide does not really protect the muzel when placed at the end of the fs.

#9 ·
...One thing that always puzzled me was once the rod is passed the fs it doesn't seem to matter if there is a guide or not. My guide does not really protect the muzel when placed at the end of the fs.
That's an excellent point. If you shine a very bright point source light into the USCG brake, you can see the back end of the brake is just a little bit larger in diameter than the muzzle opening so anything going in from the brake's opening, whether centered or not, can still nick the muzzle on the way in.

That's one reason why I use the Otis cable system. GI2

#10 ·
If you ask the folks at Dewey, they will make a custom guide that fits the SEI brake. They will need the dimensions to work with, and get it done promptly. I have one from Dewey that works fine. HTH
That sounds perfect. I sent an email to them, so I imagine that will be their reply.
Good thing is that Smith gives the exact dimensions: http://www.smithenterprise.com/spec/M14_USCG_Navy_Muzzle_Brake.02.pdf

Why more manufacturers and retailers don't do the same for their products baffles me. I love specifications!

#11 ·
There are two Dewey bore guides advertised for the M-16. Make sure you get the one for the M-16 (M-16-1) with the Flash Suppressor and not the one for the M-16 with the bull barrel. It's a snug fit, but it will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.