M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm using a carbon arrow shaft as an alignment tool, and it fits quite snug in the bore.

The rifle is a standard SAI 22", and the Muzzle Brake and adaptor is the Delta P Design/JP Rifles Tactical Compensator combo from 82nd's group buy.

What do you all think? Too close, or good enough.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
Does that arrow flex? I have used my Dewey rod in the past. Seeing it's an arrow shaft I would imagine it's pretty straight but roll it on a table and check it. Is the rod going into the bore?

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
I can't tell the orientation of the rifle from the pics. Try it with the rifle perpendicular to the floor. The rod may be flexing, I know my aluminum Dewey rod does when it is on the bipod

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
In some of the pics it looks a little off center and in some it looks pretty good. Have you checked to make sure that it is seated properly. Some of the Delta P's go on rather tight and you may not have it seated all the way. The important thing is that the arrow doesn't touch the brake at any point.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
I agree, you need to be sure. I just went and placed my dewey rod in one of my rifles and it has the same clearance all the way around. The dewey rod has a lot of play in it so it's not the greatest tool. It's nothing you want to chance. When you seated the comp did you seat the comp by just screwing the castle nut? You should try and tap it with a plastic hammer to see if it seats a little further.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,725 Posts
Muzzle device alignment can be critical for a couple of reasons. The really important thing is that the gage does not touch the inside of the muzzle device. If it does, the bullet will probably hit it too.

When the bullet enters the device, gasses rush past it and have an effect on the path of the bullet. When the device is not consentric with the barrel bore, gas pressure is greater on the close side and tends to push the bullet away from consentricity. This results in sight alignment/point of impact errors which must be compensated for by readjusting the sight away from it's mechanical zero.

It can also effect accuracy since the uneven pressure will destabilize the bullet.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
looking at all the pictures theres a larger gap on the right side, i'd say your not in proper alignment based on the pictures.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I agree, you need to be sure. I just went and placed my dewey rod in one of my rifles and it has the same clearance all the way around. The dewey rod has a lot of play in it so it's not the greatest tool. It's nothing you want to chance. When you seated the comp did you seat the comp by just screwing the castle nut? You should try and tap it with a plastic hammer to see if it seats a little further.

I would try to get it more even also, before tightening the CN. dozier

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
What Ted said X2.

I've mounted dozens of AR 15 threaded type muzzle attachments to shortened M14 barrels, and only had a problem ONCE ...
and it was a valuable learning experience.

When you cut the threads for the muzzle attachment, make sure you use a live center in the bore and align the threads with the bore. If you try to use an external steady rest at the muzzle, turning the threads concentric with the barrel exterior rather than concentric with the bore. sooner or later you will run into a barrel that is NOT concentric with the bore.
OOPS!!!

Fortunately the only casualty this time was one slightly abused compensator.
That rifle actually shot not so bad at 25 yds ...
if you ignored the bullets hitting side ways.
[;(

PS: I've used these arrow shafts as a bore alignment tool before as well.
My arrows are .298" OD so have a small amount of play in a .300" bore.

To minimise arrow to bore misalignment,
I like to use about 6" of arrow in the bore and only a bit sticking out past the comp.
YPMMV

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, Thanks for all the replies.

I'm pretty confident the carbon arrows are straight enough for this. With that said, I tried 3 different carbon arrows, each multiple times, inserting them 2-3 different ways each, at varying depths (30" arrows up to the point where the arrow was up against the locked back bolt), with the same results.

I did try various other things I had around like the Dewey cleaning rod, and that didn't work so well as both of the ones I have are not straight enough for this, and do not fit the bore as tight.

The Muzzle brake is slightly misaligned up with the arrow shaft closer to the bottom of the muzzle brakes exit. Left to right appears to be good and centered (for now).

At the current state it's at now, I don't think it will hit, but as Ted stated, I'm worried about accuracy.

I'll give it another try tonight, and post an update afterwards.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fixed.

Thanks guys!

A couple of light taps with a rubber hammer to coax it in the right spot while tightening the castle nut did the job. Would of been a lot easier with a third hand.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
I suggested this in post number 6 lol. I am glad it worked out for you. I figured it was not seated all the way. Did you get to shoot it yet???? I know they take a little time to get used to looking at but trust me your in for a surprise.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Now that's a perfect fit, wait till you shoot it. JP/Delta's are the Cadillac of MuzzleB's.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I suggested this in post number 6 lol. I am glad it worked out for you. I figured it was not seated all the way. Did you get to shoot it yet???? I know they take a little time to get used to looking at but trust me your in for a surprise.
I think my barrel may be slightly out of spec, causing the muzzle brake to naturally seat the way it did. If loosen the castle nut, and let it seat the way it wants to, It'll be off again. It is what it is...for now. DIEVIL

Haven't got to shoot it yet, but I'm going to try to get out there this weekend. I'll try to post results if I can.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I think my barrel may be slightly out of spec, causing the muzzle brake to naturally seat the way it did. If loosen the castle nut, and let it seat the way it wants to, It'll be off again. It is what it is...for now. DIEVIL

Haven't got to shoot it yet, but I'm going to try to get out there this weekend. I'll try to post results if I can.

Good job darkstaR, I would bring your arrow shaft with you to the range and recheck your alignment after a few rounds have gone downrange. Just to make sure that everything is staying in place after firing. dozier

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Fixed.

Thanks guys!

A couple of light taps with a rubber hammer to coax it in the right spot while tightening the castle nut did the job. Would of been a lot easier with a third hand.
If those taps seated the muzzle face of the barrel firmly with the inside shoulder of the muzzle brake, then you are good to go. If the muzzle brake is not seated up against the barrel muzzle face, the muzzle brake WILL loosen and can shift back to where bullets may hit it or acuracy loss. Getting a muzzle brake to set correctly MAY involve getting the muzzle face recut and possibly the inside the muzzle brake recut.

So please do keep an eye out on it for the next 200 rounds or so, at least.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.