M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy is the range the same time I am this weekend, I am shooting my PTR91A3R (Basically an exact copy of the HK91 as imported in the 1980's but with a picatinny rail for optics mounting) So "dipwad" is shooting a Bushmaster XM-15.

So he asked me what I'm shooting and to simplify and not have to explain a whole lot I say "HK91 type gun." he says "Oh, I see it's stamped PTR industries so that's not a real HK91!" I said "Your Bushmaster, what would you call it?" he says "It's an AR15!" I replied "No, it's not, it's an XM15E2s!" He said "Same thing though!" I asked "Why do you say same thing?" He states "The parts are spec to blue print and will interchange wth any AR style gun, so t's an AR-15!"

I explained, "Well unlike your AR15 clone that was made totally independent of Colt's help or blessing, even though to spec part size wise, My gun was actually made on HK tooling and blueprints sold to Portugal and then to PTR out of materials specified by HK's plans! Thusly my gun has more claim to being an HK91 than your XM15 does to being an AR15!!"

He replied "No it doesn't!"

I looked at him and said "I just told you this gun is made the EXACT way HK does on HK origin tooling and that it's to an actual HK91 what your XM15 is to an AR15 and you're telling me "No it's not!" I then said "Your parents were closely related before marriage weren't they?"

Some folks just can't make mental connections no matter how simple you try to explain obvious things to them.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You don't have a REAL HK91! BGRIN1

Gotta love range ninjas!

Reactions: Whatsinaname181

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I told him "Hk91 type gun"

Actually with the advent of CNC machining, the PTR's might be slightly better to specification than an original manually machined HK. I don't know because I ain't spending $2500-3000 just to compare measurements. I know an HK bayonet fits nice and snug on my PTR and so did the mounting plug for the bayo.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Really? Pissing off a moron with a firearm?

Reactions: dwight55 and joesig

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
He is just jealous he bought a AR instead of a 308 battle rifle. That HK91 you got is the best black rifle.
Yeah I will call it what it is basically a HK91. Just like when I am at the range I will call my M1A a M14. I can't stand the jerk faces who get all bent out of shape over this name thing. He needs to grow up. How did your PTR shoot gear jammer? I am going to get one of those eventually. My cetme just isn't cutting it. Yeah I call that a HK91 to.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a scope on it yet, but I'd say it does as well as my M1A "Loaded" model with iron sights which for me is about 2 inches non sandbagged from the bench on just propped elbows. You have to be more cognizant of your trigger technique as the PTR trigger is pretty stiff.(they say it's around a 8lb pull).

I dunno to me it feels better ergonomically, I just like pistol grips they feel more natural to me.

PS keep in mind the A3R has the standard HK 91 profile barrel and the standard 12 groove chamber like the G.I. Model.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I don't have a scope on it yet, but I'd say it does as well as my M1A "Loaded" model with iron sights which for me is about 2 inches non sandbagged from the bench on just propped elbows. You have to be more cognizant of your trigger technique as the PTR trigger is pretty stiff.(they say it's around a 8lb pull).

I dunno to me it feels better ergonomically, I just like pistol grips they feel more natural to me.

PS keep in mind the A3R has the standard HK 91 profile barrel and the standard 12 groove chamber like the G.I. Model.
Do you know where to put your feeler gauges in to check the bolt gap? That is really important to check every once in a while to see if it shrinks.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I too would like to get a PTR91. I shot my bud's and I liked it a lot. Really like the sights, especially the hooded, razor sharp front sight. Also, despite what it says in Boston's Gun Bible, the recoil wasn't punishing or brutal by any means.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The manual that came with the gun is pretty clear about where/how to check bolt gap.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Like I told him "Hk91 type gun"

Actually with the advent of CNC machining, the PTR's might be slightly better to specification than an original manually machined HK. I don't know because I ain't spending $2500-3000 just to compare measurements. I know an HK bayonet fits nice and snug on my PTR and so did the mounting plug for the bayo.
Jammer...
My mother once told me.
"Never argue with a person less intelligent than you. It's not a fair fight"
Of course you have to engage them in the first place...but..ya get the drift

Dutch

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I like your explanation, however, you have to be careful arguing with an idiot otherwise people might get confused about who the idiot is.

If I couldn't own an m14, next in line battle rifle would be the HK type rifle.

I agree you both seem to be acting pretty dumb.

I can say this as i know all about acting dumb.

It should have gone like this.

"What ya shooting there"

Gets in car....

Thats how i would have played it.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Sounds like a typical AR fan boy, rational logic seems to be lost on them and their plastic rifles.

Not sure what the Obama reference in the title has to do with the topic though...
He meant an OB Voter because he is a low information type of Guy/Voter/Gun owner!

Sadly This all stems because you can buy an "AR15 type" Rifle at Walmart for $499.00.
And yes they can sell them to just anybody.

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Six Clicks.......Get both!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Gearjammer

How long have you had your PTR and how many rounds do you have through it?

Has it worked 100% so far. I see you have the one with 12 flutes, as you know they did have some problems with the barrels with less flutes, and some trunion problems.

I am a big fan of the H&K 91. If PTR has their problems worked out it should be an excellent rifle.

Also the factory H&K scope mounts do go on and off and maintain zero, but in todays world the Picitanny rail is an excellent idea...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.