M14 Forum banner

MT wildfires

2808 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Rich D
The season just started in Montana, and will probably go until the first snows. Lots of fuel because of a wet winter and spring, and now weeks with near 100 degree temps are turning the whole state to tinder. There has been a lot of beetle kill in the mountains that is just waiting for a spark, and that comes with the monsoonal afternoon storms which are in full swing.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/state/27/0/
Reactions: High Hat
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Co. Has Been on fire for a while, till we got some rain. Roughly 1 month with no rain of any substinance. Hottest summer in 15 years. Been on high fire danger for over a month. Bans on fires in most counties. Makes camping sorta difficult with no campfires for responsible people. Most of the fires we have had this summer were proven to be started by irresponsible idiots. A few by Mother Nature.. Taking the family camping today though.

· Registered
12,553 Posts
Back around 2000, we had a trip planned to MT and there was a huge fire in the Bitterroots and up around Great Falls. If you listened to the news, the whole state was on fire. I remember my dad telling me to stay home. But I called the Chamber of Commerce in GF and they said fire, what fire, come ahead. We did and had a great time, a little smoky around I-90 at the KOA camp and we saw some smoke from a far off small fire near GF, but then we went down to Seeley Lake and had a great time. Love Montana. Thought about moving there many times but frankly having lived in a moderate climate most of my life, the thought of hot summers and very cold winters doesn't really sound all that great anymore. Here in western WA we have had a couple of high 80's days and a lot of mid to high 70's days. Rained a lot yesterday, cloudy today and be about 70. Pretty hard to beat all in all. Hope they can keep the fires under control over there, keep yer head down!

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Back around 2000, we had a trip planned to MT and there was a huge fire in the Bitterroots and up around Great Falls. If you listened to the news, the whole state was on fire. I remember my dad telling me to stay home. But I called the Chamber of Commerce in GF and they said fire, what fire, come ahead. We did and had a great time, a little smoky around I-90 at the KOA camp and we saw some smoke from a far off small fire near GF, but then we went down to Seeley Lake and had a great time. Love Montana. Thought about moving there many times but frankly having lived in a moderate climate most of my life, the thought of hot summers and very cold winters doesn't really sound all that great anymore. Here in western WA we have had a couple of high 80's days and a lot of mid to high 70's days. Rained a lot yesterday, cloudy today and be about 70. Pretty hard to beat all in all. Hope they can keep the fires under control over there, keep yer head down!
Send some of that rain down to us in Lynnwood, we need it.

· Banned
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got back from Billings, and what should be unlimited visibility because of low humidity, is reduced to 4-6 miles because of smoke. The wind is out of the SE so it's probably from the Tongue River fire(29,000 acres).

· Registered
44 Posts
I lived near Missoula for about 25 years. I don't miss "fire season" being its own special season that ruined summer. Kicked out of the woods, hoot owl restrictions, and the air too thick to have any fun.

At least we could make some money working the fires.

Good luck with all that fun!

· Registered
150 Posts
I just got back from Billings, and what should be unlimited visibility because of low humidity, is reduced to 4-6 miles because of smoke. The wind is out of the SE so it's probably from the Tongue River fire(29,000 acres).
I went to high school in Colstrip & my brother works there at the power plant. I haven't heard about any fire down at Tongue river. Has it spread down to Decker or up towards Busby yet?

· Banned
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been coughing like crazy today. Hazardous air quality warning for Billings this morning from fires,(wind SE) but we've got near 2 inches of rain coming, starting any second, and one cold wet front went through NW Montana already. Another coming after, and getting down to 39F Friday night with rain. I split a few dry logs and filled the wood rack on my porch yesterday. Looks like it may be cool and wet for a while. Hopefully this will be the end of fire season. It has been very tough so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.