M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mayor of Jackson, Mississippi has used the COVID-19 pandemic as an excuse to suspend the city's open carry law - announcing in a Saturday YouTube video that the suspension was a response to the ongoing gun violence in the city.

In response to the decision, the Mississippi Justice Institute filed a lawsuit against Lumumba, arguing that the action is unconstitutional.

Full story here: Jackson MS Mayor Suspends Open Carry Law, Citing COVID-19

·
Registered
528 Posts
I thought violence in general,gun-related or not, was down.

The exception may be domestic violence, but that should not effect Open Carry.

Typical.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jackson, MS is a toilet. I spent 3 years there (Clinton, MS) as a field engineer and police reservist. It was like parachuting back into Dallas, TX in the early '50s. The Jim Crow mentality made me almost offended to be white. I took flack because a good friend and his wife were black. We couldn't go out as a foursome.
We couldn't wait to escape. We certainly weren't going to raise our kids there.
From what I hear, the pendulum has swung the other way. Jackson is now a left wing sewer. The mayor has a real personal history. I think that the Mississippi AG is looking into the constitutional rights violations on this. I pray for all of the good people in Hinds county.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have zero doubt, ZERO, that the perpetrators of gun violence in Jackson are not the ones openly displaying a revolver or pistol.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of open carry. I prefer folks not to know I’m carrying a concealed firearm. But if one so chooses, per the SA I believe you have that right. Using a pandemic to violate someone’s Constitutional rights cannot be ignored.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Found this letter to the Gov from his State's Congree telling him he does not have the athority to infringe on 2ND Admendment rights.

To: Governor Tate Reeves

Lt. Governor Delbert Hosemann

Attorney General Lynn Fitch

Mayor Lumumba

The undersigned Mississippi State Representatives have become aware that Mayor Lumumba has issued an executive order restricting citizens right to keep and bear arms. Under the guise of protecting the people during the COVID-19 pandemic the mayor has assumed authority that is not granted to him by Mississippi law, the Mississippi Constitution or the US Constitution.

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” In the United States Supreme Court decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), the court affirmed an individual’s right to possess firearms, unconnected with service in a militia, for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, and the United States Supreme Court in McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010), affirmed that the right of an individual to “keep and bear arms,” as protected under the Second Amendment, is incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment against the states.

In addition to the protections of citizen’s right to keep and bear arms within the US Constitution, Article 3, Section 12, of the constitution of Mississippi provides “The right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but the Legislature may regulate or forbid carrying concealed weapons.”

Article 3, section 5, of the constitution of Mississippi reads “That all men are by nature equally free and independent and have certain inherent rights, of which, when they enter into the state of society, they cannot, by any compact, deprive or divest their posterity; namely, the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety.

Also, Article 3, section 14 of the constitution of Mississippi reads “No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property except by due process of law.”

On April 24, 2020 Mayor Lumumba issued an executive order suspending the “open carry” law during the COVID-19 civil emergency and stated that Mississippi Law 45-7-17 (e) gives him that authority.

The Mississippi State Constitution only provides that the “Legislature may regulate or forbid carrying concealed weapons.” No politician in the State of Mississippi has the authority to regulate or forbid open carry of a firearm. The state constitution is very clear that only the legislature has the authority to regulate or forbid concealed carry. Mayor Lumumba therefore has NO authority to forbid the open carry of a firearm in the city of Jackson.

Mayor Lumumba’s actions are in violation of the Mississippi State Constitution and prove him unfit to lead the capitol city of the State of Mississippi.

The undersigned Mississippi State Representatives wish to express their deep commitment to the rights of all citizens to keep and bear arms, and wish to express strong opposition to the mayor’s executive order that would unconstitutionally restrict the rights of the citizens.

We intend to stand against and oppose, any efforts to unconstitutionally restrict such rights, and to use any legal means at our disposal to protect the rights of the citizens of The City of Jackson and the State of Mississippi to keep and bear arms.

The undersigned Mississippi State Representatives hereby express our intent to uphold the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of The State of Mississippi and demand Mayor Lumumba immediately rescind the executive order.

The undersigned Mississippi State Representatives hereby express their intent to oppose any state funds, grants, loans or bonds for the City of Jackson until the executive order has been rescinded, and hereby request immediate action against this executive order by Gov. Tate Reeves, Lt. Gov. Delbert Hosemann and Attorney General Lynn Fitch.

Signed,

Rep. Dana Criswell

Rep. Steve Hopkins

Rep. Becky Currie

Rep. Dan Eubanks

Rep. Brady Williamson

Full letter to the Governor below.

https://shared.nrapvf.org/sharedmedia/1511180/april-26-letter-to-mayor-lumumba_.pdf

·
Registered
72 Posts
The level of dysfunction that is Jackson cannot be overstated. Most normal Americans would not understand, might think you were joking. The phrase, "they would kill you and eat you" comes to mind.

As for the mayor, his dad and namesake was a reverse carpet-bagger. Moved to Mississippi from Michigan all the better to foment racial discord. Real name was Talliaferro but named himself after a murderous communist cannibal i.e., Patrice Lumumba. Here's the Wiki blurb: "Chokwe Lumumba was an American attorney and politician, affiliated with the Republic of New Afrika and serving as its second vice president."

When I was a kid there were saints' names, Mary Catherine, Francis, Michael. Newcomers to this country changed their names to fit in, Bellini became Bell, Lewinski became Lewis. Now people change their names just to piss off humans. Which is what Mr Lumumba has done for me. His executive order is far down the list of stuff that is wrong with him, his dead father, their outlook, frame of reference, way of life.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
It is my hope that when the current pandemic has subsided or is under control, a number of Bill of Rights issues will be brought before the Supreme Court.

Sure, The Second Amendment is a trip-wire issue for this forum, but there have been significant violations of the First Amendment and others as well through executive order type actions, often at very low levels of government.

Even the 19th Amendment re-legalizing the sale of alcohol has been suspended in some jurisdictions. It took the whole amending process to pass the 18th amendment that had prohibited alcohol sales. It took another full exercise of those mechanisms to re-instate the right to buy liquor again. Now the 19thA has been suspended merely through proclamation.

The advisability of open carry of firearms, or open sales of alcohol for that matter, can be argued back and forth, but these rights cannot be suspended without the full exercise of the amending mechanisms of The Constitution.

SCOTUS will be busy with this in the 2010-22 session I think.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I'm all for carry, open or concealed, long gun or hideout and I think it's too bad that it's not way more dangerous for all the tin pot tyrants that trash the Bill of Rights to further their various and sundry agendas.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
The mindset and intentions of many liberal politicians have been clearly revealed by their actions during this time. When the liberals again control the Congress and White House we will be dealing with these same people. I am fearful of what they will attempt to do to us. And I am even more fearful of the response to their actions.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If law abiding citizens are open carrying sidearms, protecting their families, their home and their neighborhood, what is the issue? I saw plenty of firearms carried by law abiding citizens during the course of my career and it never worried me one bit.

This issue is just more liberal horse hockey drama in my humble opinion.

The law abiding taxpayers need to be more vocal and more politically active or our country is going to wind up in the toilet like some third world country.

Get out and vote! Stand up and speak your mind! Straighten this mess out before our grandchildren have to live with it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would hate to be accused of racism when I make a comment. I am just so tired of being put in a defensive all the time exercising my right and labeled the bad guy. Whilst you have these goons carry on killing, robbing, and home invading preying on the weak.

If I could be judge and jury just for a few weeks, a clean up of the troubled cities will be my sole mission in life. Won't that be nice?

A disaster will always be a Democrat's wish to step on the people under color of law. When are the people finally gonna say no more?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts