M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i have mentioned this before but i recently graduated nursing school here in CA, and will be moving to OHIO, jefferson area to start my new career.

Have some family back there, leaving the kids here as this will be a temp move just to get enough hours under my belt to be hirable as a nurse, not new grad.. i plan on never coming back hereto CA, will probably move to Nevada around other family member in a year or two, by that time the kids will be old enough to decide who they want to live with and i should be settled… i have to say once i have never been so happy than living on 15 arces, riding quads, hunting, fishing, and having no neighbors!!! after nursing school i took a vacation to fallon, NV and fell in love with the freedom, gun laws, cow, etc,etc..

i live a .5 mile from the beach now, my cloths are sandles and shorts 90% of the time, lol.. not ready for the cold… looking into just ideas from people on boots, jackets, do anyone out there wear base layers all the time?? if so I'm like 5'11 300lbs, 3xl under aromur is still a little tight…

any suggestions, will help, have no clue what I'm getting to. and i really don't want to be wearing my duck hunting jacket every wear i go, even though t is the warmest thing i have…. Astubula county is where i will be living.. thank you to everyone, this is a huge lfe change for me and my girlfriend. i think were even trading in our 2wheel drives for a 4x4….

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well....that part of Ohio gets lake effect weather....storms....feet of snow...etc. however, you will be near Lake Erie, which has some great spots(islands).

You will also like our gun laws of course as compared to CA.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You will be about 2hrs 45 minutes from Port Clinton so if you want to shoot the nationals or visit the CMP you will be pretty close. There is a XTC club in your area just North of Andover with 600 yd. Range and pits. Really muddy up here now. All our snow washed away in the last 2 days. Flooding in low areas. Camo duck coat goes well with anything and most anywhere in this area so no problem there :) I am about 25 miles from Jefferson just across the PA line. Good luck with move and new job!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jefferson is great country. Mostly farm country , far enough from Cleveland and Erie to not have much riff raff. Good hunting and fishing. Hope you like snow,ioi. I grew up in Trumbull. Some good country people there. Sounds like a 4x4 truck and a 4 wheeler will be in your future. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've spent some time at wright-pat AFB--over all the state is nice enough. Hunting and fishing aplenty. Hot and humid in the summer and snow and cold in the winter, what more could one want?RNGR2

The cool thing about the move is being a M14 fan you can visit the Springfield armory and tour the museum that was responsible for giving birth to the M1 garand and also pumped out those lovely select fire M14. Makes sure you go, and send us some pictures of the visit.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Check out Solon Rifle club and Alliance Rifle club, both clubs run XTC matches. I'd also recommend joining ORPA Ohio Rifle and Pistol organization. ORPA 's news letter will list sanctioned matches in Ohio.

Clothing needs for "Bula" county everything from shorts to full North Pole expedition parka, sometimes in the same winter day. You'll love the Lake Effect snow. Bundle up and see you on the ready line.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try to make the best of your stay & enjoy the nice people in (eastern) Ohio.
Overall... the folks there are tough bred, but helpful & fair.
Congrats.......... on your degree, & much luck to you.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Check out this site for weather averages: http://www.usa.com/ashtabula-county-oh-weather.htm

I grew up in Port Clinton and our weather was always better than NE Ohio. And it was bad.

There will be plenty of clothing for sale in your new area (not far from Cleveland), shop there unless you can get some of the sale stuff here in Calif. after the holidays. Key things to keep warm - your hands on the steering wheel and your feet and head. Sloppy melting slush and mud and wet snow will get you cold quickly.

If you think drivers here in Calif. are bad when it rains, try Ohio in the winter. Find a parking lot you can test yourself so you can learn to adjust to the freezing roads. Better safe than sorry.

Great area to move to though. If you can survive the politics here, winter is nothing there.

Enjoy!

Bruce

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Here is a great money saving tip for you.

When I left Florida for Nebraska, I hit as many of the resale shops I could find. WHY? The snowbirds that moved there, just like CA, did not need their heavy coats and gave them away to the resale shops.

You can get some very good name items for a song. I also got two really good Canadian SORELL $85 boots for $3 a pair. They are so nice I can walk in the snow with my bare feet in them.

Money is always tight in a move, so it is better for you to get the winter stuff BEFORE you go somewhere where people need it.

Just some helpful advice that worked very well for me.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Congratulations on your degree and job..... The weather of Ohio will definitely be different from what you have grown accustom ........ It will be nice for you to be relatively close to Camp Perry

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,047 Posts
I go to Ohio about every other year. The winters are cold, but who gives a CENSOREDGI, I'd rather be able to go out in the cold in a big jacket and fire legal full autos and then come back in with a smile, than go out in my T-shirt here and come in with a frown. If you're a big gun guy, you'll forget about the weather when you can own stuff you never could here in this cesspool.
m14brian

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm guessing you mean Jefferson in Ashtabula, as opposed to West Jefferson near Columbus.

I used to live in Rock Creek, which is about 7 miles Southeast of Jefferson.

I'll let you figure out the clothes, although I'll say that soft-shell "technical" type jackets and Carharts are real popular and for good reason.

Snow is frequent and not trivial.

In the next week it's supposed to drop two inches, with another 6 inches on New Years Eve and Day.

That means you'll want to make sure you have good winter tires on whatever you're driving. I mean the kind that look more like mud tires than road tires. Which is good, because not everything is paved.

And if you happen to have a few bucks to spare, a good two-stage snow thrower is REAL handy. A lot of folks who drive pickups just put plows on then, but if you go that route be sure to push the snow far enough off the driveway that there's room for more snow.

That's about it.

Oh...

There's a pretty good Lowes at the top of Route 11, a Flea Market off of 20... I forget exactly where...

If you like drag racing there's a strip (Thompson Raceway Park) about 10 miles east of Rock Creek off of 166. (down Sidley rd.)

Oh, and there's a pretty good Renaissance Faire off of 534, just north of 166. If you're into that kind of thing. Which I am.

Reactions: bigkicks

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm in Cleveland and Ashtabula is where I go shooting (friends property). Lake effect snow can be an eye opener if you've never dealt with it before. Regarding gun laws, Overall Ohio is one of the best states for gun owners. Unfortunately, the areas around the larger cities do not share in those views. Ashtabula is a wonderful place for a gun enthusiast though.

If you're being a nurse in the Cleveland area learn where to go and not go because safety is spotty. I'm on the west side of Cleveland and the area I'm in is blue collar cops/firefighters neighborhood so It's not bad but the same cant be said for other areas. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Besides the years I was in the Army I've lived my whole life in this area. Good luck to you.

+1 on the snow tires. Keep a cold weather kit in your car. It will be invaluable.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I'd like to welcome you to the Buckeye State! Pretty good state all-around I'd say. Lots of good gun people here. A 4X4would probably be a good move, I have one here in SW Ohio and it comes in handy a few times a year; I'm sure it will be more so where you are moving. I don't really get used to the cold weather; the older I get the more I just try to stay in heated areas. As has been said, Carharts are good investments.

Here's another forum that will be helpful: http://www.snowblowerforum.com/ GI1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts