M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will head out to the range this weekend. New Aimpoint on my M1A and AR15. With the AR, no biggie...

Any tips on the M1A and utilizing the 2MOA dot on the scout rail? Will "get on paper" at 25 meters and then drop back to 100 yards for both rifles. Plan on using standard 25M M4 zero targets to start out, then use 100 yard bullseye targets afterwards.

Really looking forward to it. RNGR2

Also wondering if I should get a cheap pair of binos. Checking targets from 100 yards sucks when you have to always walk up and back.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
cheap binoculars (even with shoot N see) doesn't cut it. You need at least 16x if your like me and then only barely can see them.

its defiantly possible if you have great vision and can hold steady.

With a red dot i would just make it shoot two inches high (assuming all targets are equal height off the ground)

Then you can hit at 100.

My range the damned targets are all diffent heights so 25y bullseye isn't even on paper at 100.

I'm going out tomorrow i think I'm gonna do 20 rounds on irons in my M1a, irons on my mauser and then scoped .22 for steel. gonna be fun (oooh boy)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Spotting Scope

I don't know about aimpoints but I would definitely get a spotting scope or binos. I have a spotting scope that my stepfather bought for me when I was about 14. He was a good man, he got me into the shooting sports.GI1

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips on binos. Looking forward to shooting, I realize that the 25m target might not be the same as 100 yard target. I wish I could shoot other distances (200 yards) but it's just not possible on my range.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Philz M1A,

I think you are on the right track. One thing that I have found out is to make sure that your point of impact is as close to your point of aim at 25 yds as you can possibly get it. When I started sighting in my Socom 16 with a 2 moa Aimpoint, I settled for 1 1/2" high above point of aim at 25 yds. My 1st shot at 100 yds. cut a half moon on the top of the top cross member on my target stand! Almost a complete miss! Good luck! You're going to love that Aimpoint!

Reactions: Philz M1A

·
Registered
163 Posts
If your irons are sighted in and your Aimpoint's mount allows cowitness (either full or lower 1/3), you can adjust the Aimpoint at home until looking through the irons the dot is right on the tip of the front sight. Red Dot sights being essentially parallax-free, that should put the Aimpoint pretty close to POA at the same distance as your irons were set when you did this adjustment.

I recommend a cheap spotting scope over cheap binoculars, since the tripod holds it steadier for looking at little holes and the magnification is likely higher. I have a Konus with a top magnification range of 60X that seems to work pretty good out to 200y (haven't tried it any farther). Depending on your definition of "cheap" of course. Opticsplanet has a Konus Konuspot 20-60x80mm on sale for $249 right now. Doesn't look like that includes a tripod, but when I bought mine it came with one (tabletop size).

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Bill. I mounted my Aimpoints today. Drool factor off the charts. Everyone knows what an Aimpoint on an AR looks like (so no pics of that), but I thought to include a shot on the SOCOM just in case you forgot. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.