M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally decided to put a scope on my M1A I was wondering if anybody had any ideas about which mount to use I'm leaning more towards the springfield 4th generation mount. I will be mounting a 1-4x24 optic on the rifle and i would also like some advice on some QD rings for the scope too. I will mostly use the rifle for plinking and a little hunting ( close range white tailed deer )any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance ARS

Edit: i would also like to be able to use my iron sights with the scope detatched and the mount still in place if possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mounts

I am in the same ballpark. Just purchase the MA1 Natioanl Match. I am obtaining the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M1 4.5-14x50mm. There are three mounts I am considering, 1. Smithenterprise $380, 2. Fulton Armory for $226 and the Springfield 4th generation $184. Big price differences! My local gunshop owner initially suggested the Smithenterprise but after looking at the specs of the others he would consider those including the Springfield since the new generation is no longer aluminum. The rings are still up in the air but considering the Leupold or Badger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is alluminum a bad idea for a mount just asking because thats what i was considering gettin because of the lighter weight?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
the springfield mounts problems werent because of the material they were made from. if you use a quality aluminum mount (i'll just mention sadlak as its a high quality product), it'll give you no problems.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Be aware that the Springfield 4th generation is offered in Aluminium and steel. The steel being more expensive, but it's the best of the two. Also you can look at the Bassett mount, or Sadlak.
The beauty of these is the ability to remove and re-mount and not loose your zero by much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts