M14 Forum banner

Most bang for the buck 5.56 ammo at current prices?

7K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  bfoosh006 
#1 ·
I know every rifle is different and I'll have to experiment with different brands/weights. But for sheer volume bang for the buck ammo ,what are your current go to brands? I did read the Lucky Gunner torture test article. Very impressive.
I haven't fired a 5.56 rifle since 1989. My uncle loaned me that one to qualify. I'm trying to jump the learning curve a bit. Who's fond of what,and why? 55 gr and up. Thanks!

#4 ·
#3 ·
All of my shooting is 100 yards or less. I'm working hard to get better, and shoot a lot of boolits. I want reasonable repeatability, and need to economize where I can.

For me, the PPU/PRVI HPBT Match - 69 or 75 gr - has been a good trade-off of price vs accuracy.

If you want to shave off a few more cents/round, try the Fiocchi 50 gr V-max. I tried some just this past weekend, and from the bench, had no trouble repeatably putting it in the bulls-eye.

That led me to put a mail order in earlier this evening for 550 rounds- $26.99 per 50 round box from Cabelas (you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere, but I had a gift card).

#7 ·
Federal .223/5.56mm (Federal American Eagle or Lake City) seems to be the best deal going, unless you want to step down to Wolf or other steel-cased ammo. I get my LC from TargetSportsUSA.com... fair prices and if you buy a case quantity, it includes free shipping. They regularly have 55grn M193 and 62grn M855. I have seen PMC retail boxes priced about the same as the LC as well.

#8 ·
I shoot a lot of Wolf Performance Ammo, WPA. I've never had a stuck case and out of 5-6K rounds no failures. I'm shooting WPA out of mostly Colt M4 style carbines. Accuracy is okay at CQB ranges and out to around 100 yds. its 3 moa ammo. WPA is the most bang for the buck.

If I am in a position to retrieve my brass I shoot Speer Gold Dot, Federal Premium, PPU, LC (not too accurate), IMI or PMC.

It really depends on what you're goal is. Plinking? Competition? Practice? HD?

Here's where I buy mine (includes shipping);

http://www.ammoman.com/

Reactions: oldandtired
#14 ·
Sportsmans Guide has specials w/ free shipping (they normally charge me (in Georgia) about $15-16 shipping for 1K rounds via UPS). Joining their club for about $30/yr, gives you reduced club pricing.

I find that AIM and others, unless they are also having a special w/ free shipping or reduced shipping, charge allot to ship ammo via UPS.

Ammoman's prices include shipping, but are not always "a deal".

I shoot wolf and other steel cased ammo- normally make last round in a 20 or 30 rd mag a brass case.

Rarely have a problem- several thousand rounds ago, did have a hard primer that would not go bang and about 1997 or so, had a wolf case get stuck in chamber during a match.

#18 ·
#24 ·
Palmetto State Armory usually has 150rd boxes of loose Lake City/Federal 62gr greenies for 49.99. If you stalk the site they occasionally have free shipping deals for purchases over $100.

Last time they did, I pulled the trigger on 1500 rds at 499.90.

I used a gift card I'd bought during another sale that was 90 bucks for a 100 dollar gift card (unfortunately you can only use one at a time for web purchase.

Total shipped was 489.90 for 1500 rds.

#29 ·

I've had great luck on local Armslist on 3 different occasions. Just purchased 480 rd's in the can for $125. Some greenies, some Black hills Match and quite a bit of Rem 55 gr. The AR market is so flooded that some are getting out of the format. If you look a little, under .30 cents a round is doable.

#33 · (Edited)
Not sure about that myself. I bought a couple of boxes of it in .308 to try but sold my m1a before I got around to it. They're sitting in a pile of .308 on the living room floor right now. Those 2,8 boxes of WWB,and a box each of 165gr GMX, 168 gr HPR, 150 gr American Eagle,and 150 gr Rem core lokt. I'll be moving them on to help feed the 5.56,9mm,and 7.62x39 habits I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.