M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's because I so carefully avoided getting bit much for several years during the West Nile Virus scare, but now when I do get a mosquito bite it actually burns, almost like a cigarette burn. (Previously, they didn't bother me at all if I avoided scratching them). I've also noticed I react to some species more than others.

Anyway, now I'm looking for home remedies that actually work on mosquito bites. If you're very reactive and you get stuck in the woods around here, you'd better have something. Speaking of reactive, I can barely see the bites in question, but boy do I know they're there, down deep. That seems to make them resistive to calamine lotion etc.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I think Calamine just dries the surface area - all you really want to do is stop the itch so you don't scratch and get it infected...Neosporin first few days works also. Then, you just gotta live with the red welt, pain, bloody urine, nose bleeds.....USN2

ps - witch hazel also works.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Remedy

One of the best is a pen sized applicator for the shirt pocket called "After Bite"...It is basically ammonia (I think) and mink oil to make it adhere to the skin. Works well for me (I live in the low country-swamps of South Carolina) for mosquitos, deer flys (the worst of all !), and dog flys(looks like a house fly, bites like a small dog!) Most drug/big box stores have them or order off the 'net. I like the pocket availability/handiness in a no leak container, but you can apply ammonia to the bite ( it drys quickly) to get some help.

Remember the bite is an injection of (acid like stuff) fluid that destroys the cells into a liguid substance that then can be "sucked up" as food by the insect. The ammonia will "neutralize" the injection and stop some (if not all) of the cell destruction...thus stopping the burning and itching,

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squid, I don't want to over-dramatize this, but itching is not the problem, I'm talking about 5-7 days of actual burning pain, just a minor .5 on a scale of 10 but it seems ridiculous and unnecessary. Especially when you have a dozen or so bites going.

Danthman, for a fact during a period in my life when I was eating lots of garlic and also taking brewer's yeast tablets, mosquitos didn't bite me at all. I don't think beer counts however, in fact I'm sure it doesn't.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Hydrocortisone cream. Done. Strongest stuff you can find. Do not apply to face, groin or underarms. Wash hands before and after use. It is a mild corticosteroid.

The itch and burning is inflammation and the antipruritic properties of hydrocortisone should take care of it. The itch and burning are hypersensitivity reactions caused by inflammation. The classical signs of acute inflammation are pain, heat, redness, and swelling or edema.

If this OTC medication does not cure your issues then consult a physician to get something a bit more strong.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hydrocortisone cream. Done. Strongest stuff you can find. Do not apply to face, groin or underarms. Wash hands before and after use. It is a mild corticosteroid.

The itch and burning is inflammation and the antipruritic properties of hydrocortisone should take care of it. The itch and burning are hypersensitivity reactions caused by inflammation. The classical signs of acute inflammation are pain, heat, redness, and swelling or edema.

If this OTC medication does not cure your issues then consult a physician to get something a bit more strong.
+1, what I use that works best.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I was little and living in Hawai'i, I got Impetigo because I wouldn't stop scratching the bights and they got really bad. It was one of the main reasons my folks ended up moving up the mountain where is was cooler and there were less mosquitoes. Preventative is best, so apply mosquito repellant, where long clothing whenever out in the bush. Be generous with it and spray everywhere. And don't f-ing scratch.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I read somewhere that taking vitamin B1, thiamin, until your urine smells like the vitamin pill that this would keep mosquito's away. Never tried it though.
Bob

·
Registered
826 Posts
The eating more garlic and less sugar thing really does work well. If you catch a bite relatively soon, slice open a lemon and rub it on the bite. It kills off everything uncomfortable about it (itch, burn, etc).

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Wow.

Deuces

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing I've used for the itch that seems to work is plantain (not the banana looking thing). It's commonly found in lawns and other grassed areas. What I do is fold up a leaf and bite the end off to expose the juices then rub it vigorously on the bite. The itching stops within a few minutes or less.

http://www.ediblewildfood.com/broadleaf-plantain.aspx

Oh, and the young leaves seem to be more effective.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One thing I've used for the itch that seems to work is plantain (not the banana looking thing). It's commonly found in lawns and other grassed areas. What I do is fold up a leaf and bite the end off to expose the juices then rub it vigorously on the bite. The itching stops within a few minutes or less.

http://www.ediblewildfood.com/broadleaf-plantain.aspx

Oh, and the young leaves seem to be more effective.
My Ma had told me that and I'd forgotten. I think you can also make a concoction or decoction or whatever you call it. Fortunately, my lawn is full of weeds, including plantain.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Another natural remedy is rubbing tomato leaves on them. It doesn't work as good/fast as toothpaste. Witch hazel is cheap and works as a repellant as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts