M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I lied, I told Stickboy that I wouldn't post a range report but I just couldn't resist.

The day before Thanksgiving Stickboy and I went out to the Utah desert to one of his favorite shooting places.

We set up a little impromptu range just off a dirt road.

It was perfect for shooting, the area was a little inlet in to a small ridge with the peak of the highest point being about 500 yards away. We had targets set in several areas but we spent most our time shooting at 250 yards.

I was shooting my SOCOM 16 mostly and he was using his Rem 700 in .308.

I was proud of my girl, I'm becoming more and more impressed with my SOCOM all the time.

I was shooting 147gr FN milsurp and my 155gr Hornady A-Max hand loaded ammo. I made the targets from a 4" round, sticky backed red target that I stuck to a 12"x12" target and then we taped them on to the rocks.

My girl showed her stuff when I started taking shots at the 400 (actually lased at 407 yards) yard target. I have a Nikon Encore scope with a BDC reticle and I downloaded Nikon's SpotOn software on to my iPhone. I ran the software and used their Field Chart and Expanded BDC option to determine what magnification and BDC bubble would best suite my shooting circumstances. I was able to hit the 12"x12" paper with every shot. Between my hand load and the milsurp my impacts were all less than 3 MOA.

We had a great time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What was your dope for both loads? I was around 16-17moa at lased at 440.

I really am thinking of going to a scout scope now that I want to walk the legs on my SOCOM out, EoTech just does not afford dissecting of a target for precise aiming.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, somewhere to the west of the lake, I can't tell you exactly because Stickboy led the way and I didn't pay any attention to where we went. SHOCKED2

nice, is that west side of utah lake?

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What ammo are you using?

I used milsurp FN 147gr FMJ and my hand loads with 155gr Amax bullets and 40.5gr of IMR 3031. Both loads were running just about 2500 fps. I was hitting the bottom edge of the paper, at 407 yards, with about 8 MOA of elevation. I should have dialed it up to 9 MOA but I got lazy and used Kentucky windage and just aimed a bit higher. The scope has a max magnification of 8x and it gave me a clear enough image that I was able to reliably elevate my point of aim just a hair.

What was your dope for both loads? I was around 16-17moa at lased at 440.

I really am thinking of going to a scout scope now that I want to walk the legs on my SOCOM out, EoTech just does not afford dissecting of a target for precise aiming.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
RAMMAC I just had to check my load data for my SOCOM, I too use 155 Amax with 40.5 IMR 3031, it works good and runs good through my gun.

Ps looks like you two had fun.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Man thats like paradise compared to NY.......Im going to the Mountians tomorrow to have some trigger time and got some FN and DAG as well. I need to sight in my Eotech on my LRB Tanker and sight in my new LRB DMR in the making too......We got Steel targets set up and various Zombie looking targets ready for the kill.....With this awesome weather need to make the best of it......DI5

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
RAMMAC, it looks like your shooting on the moon with that landscape! If you ever get over to this side of the Mississippi I'll show you something neat, we call them trees. DI5

Seriously, it looks like y'all had a fine time, wish I'd been there also!

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RAMMAC, it looks like your shooting on the moon with that landscape! If you ever get over to this side of the Mississippi I'll show you something neat, we call them trees. DI5

Seriously, it looks like y'all had a fine time, wish I'd been there also!
Tree? Is that one of those big sticks with a lot of green stuff sticking out em'? DI5

Ah you would be more than welcome, just let me know ahead of time and we'll see if we can find some of those tree things to make you feel more comfortable. I think I know of one or two places that might have some.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What ammo are you using?

I used milsurp FN 147gr FMJ and my hand loads with 155gr Amax bullets and 40.5gr of IMR 3031. Both loads were running just about 2500 fps. I was hitting the bottom edge of the paper, at 407 yards, with about 8 MOA of elevation. I should have dialed it up to 9 MOA but I got lazy and used Kentucky windage and just aimed a bit higher. The scope has a max magnification of 8x and it gave me a clear enough image that I was able to reliably elevate my point of aim just a hair.
150ball or 168OTB. I danced the 1 moa dot on my EoTech on top of the target like a loose hat, the bottom of the 65moa ring would be 32.5 moa and tapped the target proud of 50% hits so I guessed 16 moa which is half of the 32.5. EoTech zero'd @ 75 yards combat crew, confirmed by my EoTech rep. Not sure exactly were the copper pill was hitting the target though. I did not take good notes in my log book as we were just having happy times blasting away. Next time we go to 1100, I plan to spend way more time with the fire breather and get good dope and notes. I want to log come ups to 500 on dope card and then start stretching the legs.

This is why I want an actual magnified scope, I called Leupy and got price of the VX scout scope with TMR ret $510 plus shipping.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For long range targets, I buy cheap tiles from home depot 18" Maui (try to buy the chipped ones for even less) and get some cheap spray paint, bright florescent works best, paint them and you can see them with the naked eye beyond 500 yards.

When you hit them they disappear.

Downside is you only get to shoot them once, maybe twice.

·
Registered
516 Posts
nice, is that west side of utah lake?
We were on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. About an hour down I-80 on the way to Wendover.

I have done a lot of exploring and shooting over the years all over that area from the north to the south end and all around the perimeter of the Utah test and training range as well as Dugway proving grounds. Yeah you can really get out to the middle of nowhere and go for hours without seeing another person out there.

We really did have a nice day, it was nice to get out with a friend, my lady and my old dog. I guess I should have shot the M-14 but I was really having a lot of fun with the Remington. Really looking forward to getting out there again and taking RAMMAC around to explore and 4x4 some more. It is open and wild spaces like this that make me really enjoy living in Utah.

Oh and don't let me forget, I could not have been more impressed with that Socom of Rick's. He nailed that 400 yard shot on the first pull of the trigger! It took me at least 10 with the Remington until I got my elevation right. Wow is all I can say. Although in my own defense I am working with a new scope and still need to finish establishing my zeros with it.

That is one reason why I only shot it and not the M-14. Plus I did not feel like cleaning a dozen guns again that I just finished cleaning the other day! GI2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.