M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically the empty weights on shipping containers are 5,000lbs for a 20ft & alittle over 8,000lbs for a 40ft.

This is important as it dictates what heavy equipment you need to move them off the trailer & into place as well as what trailer can be used to move them.

HH

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have two 20'ers at my primary residence. Both were delivered by trucks with tilt beds. One was set by the tilt bed and one was dragged into position by a large trackhoe that was doing some road work on my place. Now that I've had the second unit set by the trackhoe I see that I could have gotten a 40'er in there. Sigh.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But could the trachoe have moved the bigger container? Do you have the two containers connected or separate locations?

HH

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The two containers are in separate locations on my property, about 80' apart and about 30' difference in elevation. And yes, the trackhoe could have moved the 40'er easily, more so than I or the operator thought as he'd never moved one before.

Before I built my house I had mobile home installed on the place and that guy used a dozer to tow it and then pick up each end to place it. I was a bit nervous when he showed up cuz when he opened the door to the cab of his truck a half a dozen crushed beer cans fell out................. GI8 But he did a great job.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to be nosey, but what did you pay for your containers? I
paid $1,000 for mine delivered but left side door was in bad shape.

HH

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have three, two on my place here and one on my property over on the dry side. I paid $2300 delivered for the first one, which is just like new, $1000 delivered for the second one here and $800delivered for the one on my dryside property. All are like new inside. The second unit on my place here is in very good shape metal wise, but is a bit faded. The one on my property on the dry side is faded and has a few dents on one side, but the doors are in very good shape. A 40'er is only about $300 more than a 20'er, but everyone wants the 20'ers.

The place that I bought my newish one went out of business a few months after I'd got it. The did ditch all their nice containers first, but I could have gotten another 20'er for quite a bit less had I known about them closing..............oh well.

The ones that I have here have really come in handy. I bought a storage container's contents at auction a few months ago which included a Shopsmith and a bunch of woodworking tools. There was also a shop manual for a 1939-40 Ford passenger car in there, an original one! I paid $230 for all the contents of that container. I don't usually run into deals like that. FRG1FRG1

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing wrong with a 40 if you have the space for it & the ability to get it into place.

HH

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Those shipping containers(also called CONUS Boxes) are also stackable. Have seen them done in a two story configuration. dozier

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are actually refered to as conex boxes. CONtainer EXpress.

CONUS stands for CONtinental US.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Conex & conus sound pretty much alike so you may have gotten confused.

HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to insulate a conex box don't think you can get away with screw or glue some paneling, plywood, etc to the inside. The hot & cold the outside metal gets causes moisture on the inside. You trap that moisture & you end up with wood rotting & metal rusting.
Much better to paint the whole outside with elastic roof coating first. Then the hot & cold doesn't penetrate the metal as much.

HH

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Just as a point of reference, FWIW...

I have two 20-footers. I was able to position both of them into their final locations (moving only a few feet) by myself with a come-along. I leveled them with piers using a high-lift jack.

It's a lot of work, but if you have some simple tools you can gitterdun.

Tim

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jim-analog, all the above. LOL

Mine is basically for a storm shelter & as such has supplies in it also.

HH

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Storage for mine right now. I'm eyeballing a 40'er right now. When things get a bit drier I'll see about getting it moved on if I end up with it.

Also my pump house was built in the late 50's and is getting a bit run down so I'm considering replacing it with one of my 20's.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Are any of you trying to improve the external appearance of the containers to match buildings or blend in to the environment? I'm really liking the idea, cost and durability. BUT, got a neighbor who seems to be collecting both conex containers and old 40' trailer boxes. Have to say, his place is uhhh, "less than desirable" ascetically. I'd also need them to meet the approval of "the boss".

Some years ago I came upon two 8' cube fiberglass "igloos" that I've been storing stuff in. Painted them to match the buildings, but they tend to grow green algae or something after a year or so. According to the guy that gave them to me, they were part of some arctic weather research station. They had some old wiring, brackets and such in them. Must have cost .gov or whomever quite a bit of $. I'll try to find some pix to see if any of you recognize them.

Seems there is never enough storage space!

Regards, Jim

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could take any type external siding, set it against the exterior, then drill holes & install it with nuts & bolts. You could use something like T1-11 & then paint it any color. But you will also want to mark at the top framing where the corrigated metal ridges are external rather then internal. And you better have good drill bits. I drilled holes in mine for various things like the electrical breaker box & clamps for the wiring & each hole was a challenge.

HH

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone stacked their containers with space between two stacks and put trusses over them for covered storage for their shtf vehicleONTOSor whatever? I 've seen it done up here. TonyG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts