M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm learning a lot reading over this forum, thanks. And of course it seems the price only goes up as I get to know the M14 platform. Anyway I have gone from my original plan of a M1a, to an off the self LRB build and now I am thinking more about the individual parts. And might just go with a barreled action. I know the M14 require more knowledge to build, so would one of the LRB actions offered be enough for me to complete on my own? Either the basic or complete.

I plan to go with the SEI gas system/ piston.
USGI Op rod
Sadlak spring/ guide
USGI trigger group that I will have a gunsmith go over
USGI flash hider or Vortex
USGI stock, sights, etc.

Open to any advice.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
a barreled action is not a difficult thing to assemble the parts on, not much different than assembling an ar15 lower. built it up yourself and save some money. if your really nearvouse about it there is a ton of videos out there that take you step by step. i prefer to figure things out as i go, i think its funner that way

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Yes it would as long as you have some basic mechanical skills. Attention to detail in the fit up to the stock and trigger assembly is important. Use of proper lubrication upon initial testing is needed. Proper cleaning during the break in of a new barrel is also something to study up on.

Ask questions

Hobo

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Don't forget about all the money order, PayPal, shipping and packaging involved in purchasing individual parts. Those costs add up quick.
The only reason for the M25 is because you want a rifle with a scope. Otherwise, save some money and get the LRB M14SA or Rock-Ola and have them do the build with USGI parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I built my AR from a stripped lower and complete upper. And have completely disassembled all my firearms at least once using Youtube and other online resources. I really enjoy learning how they work and am pretty confident with the basic mechanical part of it. It's just the fit, polish, finish type stuff I have zero experience with and would rather leave to someone qualified. And I still have months to go on LRB wait list so plenty of time to figure it out. I just wonder if I should be jumping on some of the parts I see pop up on here.

And yeah the tax is actually a major reason for this, looks like it might be close to $400. Yet somehow I seem to conveniently forget shipping charges.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I built my AR from a stripped lower and complete upper. And have completely disassembled all my firearms at least once using Youtube and other online resources. I really enjoy learning how they work and am pretty confident with the basic mechanical part of it. It's just the fit, polish, finish type stuff I have zero experience with and would rather leave to someone qualified. And I still have months to go on LRB wait list so plenty of time to figure it out. I just wonder if I should be jumping on some of the parts I see pop up on here.

And yeah the tax is actually a major reason for this, looks like it might be close to $400. Yet somehow I seem to conveniently forget shipping charges.
keeping your eyes peeled for deals in the px is a very good idea although you have to be lightening fast and strike without hesitation. some of the deals other members post are the cheapest you will find parts anywhere. but like I said you gotta be fast and will find yourself kicking yourself in the butt for not being 2 minutes quicker

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You can't go wrong with the m25, I have 2 and love them both.
I would personally, get a barreled action with a head spaced bolt (rx, barrel, bolt) and learn to do the rest.
Mescalito makes a good point, you'll probably pay a little more for shipping when you round up all our parts, but it sure is fun to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
And I still have months to go on LRB wait list so plenty of time to figure it out.
I ordered my m14sa (complete rifle) from lrb back in July, I picked it up 2 weeks ago GI1

I don't know how the wait differs between individual parts and complete rifles, but it might be better to narrow down the options sooner "just in case"

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah I am thinking about selling my SAI and get a M25 because I like the scope mount. The SADLAK is nice but it still seams bulky...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have Jon Wolfe build mine (and IBA DI2)....they shoot incredibly well! (.5"moa)... I admire those who build their own...I suppose I am getting old...these days I just like to shoot a well made machine, and let the mechanics go to those who are more talented than I.......and yea, I like McM's....hehehehe GI5

Top: LRB M14SA
Middle: IBA M40A1 (sort of)
Btm: LRBM25

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah i inquired about m25 waits and for a barreled action it was 8 months.... Better than JAE but still too long for me. I am going to look for a used one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts