M14 Forum banner

More issues with the Scout squad M1a

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  M1aDoc 
#1 ·
Hello again to all

I wrote a few years back after getting piss poor accuracy from my new Scout squad , which was confirmed by a gunsmith. All the Marines I see in the office loved the m14, im trying to love my gun as well but now have another question.

I was watching some USMC videos on marksmanship and took the gun back out after a busy year and am wondering now about the sights. The elevation knob clicks fine up and down, but the windage knob when turned doesnt. Tonight I rotated windage all the way to the right until the knob wouldnt turn, then started turning it counter-clockwise, and stopped when i got to over a hundred "clicks" and the thing hadnt hit any stops. i started turning it clockwise again and now the thing wont move toward the zero index marker at all, even after 50 clicks.

The gun has perfomed suboptimally at the range, now i cant even get the thing to center its windage. Any ideas what is going on, or is this a Monday gun? I havent called Springfielld yet as i figure Id tap the knowledge base here first.

#9 ·
Being you have "Marines in the office"...... Why don't you ask one of them to take a look at your sights as well as the rest of your weapon. Perhaps they could do some troubleshooting before you send it back to the factory.

Hobo, the Marines are my patients, and while i always look forward to seeing them and asking questions if I brought my hardware into the office Im sure Id lose my license pretty quick.

Going to adjust the screws and if it still has issues, call SA.

#7 ·
It could be as simple as Kurt was saying... I've taken my rear sight of and on a couple times on the old standard and as long as the screw on the left side was tight; I had no issues. Check that screw; if it's loose that might be the culprit. I'll try to duplicate your error tonight on my rifle by loosening the screw.

How bad is your accuracy? Are we talking like 2-3" groups or are We talking 12" groups?

#14 ·
click the link in my signature and watch my videos. It may help you find the culprit(s). I have one specifically for rear sights, but it doesn't apply to SAI rear sights since they have a ball and detent for windage. Be careful about removing those sights, not to lose the ball and spring under the windage knob.

Read through all the pages in this thread...
http://m14forum.com/reference/73926-m14-m1a-health-check.html

Tony.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.